Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th October 2009, 13:58

Mood
Sneaky

Default meds and cravings

i used to crave all sorts of garbage, but especially, cola, irn bru, tea, coffee, and all kinds of chocolate, the bigger variety the better. this is a pattern of behaviour established over decades.

lately i've been guzzling beta blockers and my cravings have changed noticeably. i crave tea and white chocolate, almost solely. i never really bothered with white chocolate much before, i liked it, but it was a mere drop in the ocean of mars bars, snickers, caramels, double deckers, munchies, whispas etc etc.

i crave it in all forms. walking into a supermarket i will covetously visualise 200g bars of own brand white chocolate. out walking in the country i will lust for a nestle white crunch. i just nipped round to the shop and bought a milky bar (not a chunky one, didn't have em) AND a bag of milky bar buttons.

really diggin it

anyone else get med-related cravings?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:06

Mood
Torn

Default Re: meds and cravings

Yes!

Every time I reduce my dose of Cipralex I start craving sweets and carbs, its something to do with serotonin. Last night I ate a load of chocolate cake and today a whole large bar of Galaxy cookie crumble.

But I wonder why its white chocolate you crave? Could it be the sugar, or the milk?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:17

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy
Yes!

Every time I reduce my dose of Cipralex I start craving sweets and carbs, its something to do with serotonin. Last night I ate a load of chocolate cake and today a whole large bar of Galaxy cookie crumble.

But I wonder why its white chocolate you crave? Could it be the sugar, or the milk?
sounds like you are inviting me to give my opinion and natter on a bit

with the beta blockers cutting out my constant fight or flight response, i don't need the same quantity of stimulants as i used to. but i still have a stimulant addiction, so i am naturally seeking a milder form of stimulation

its weird tho...although i feel "lower" since i started taking beta blockers, at first i wanted to guzzle loads of cola. i think i was used to having all that manic energy from the fight or flight, and then suddenly it was taken away and i realised how exhausted i am

i'm hoping i will get used to not feeling manic and stop trying to MAKE myself manic with constant white choc

so...glad its not just me!

btw i've had my eye on that galaxy cookie crumble, is it good?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:22

Mood
Worried

Very strange.

I've not noticed cravings but since i've been trying to wean myself off my Efexor (one pill every other day at the mo) i've noticed i've been seriously hungry on the days i take a pill. I dont know if maybe these pills have stopped my 'comfort eating' habit and maybe slowly its creeping back... but its a bit odd.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:29

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDoll
Very strange.

I've not noticed cravings but since i've been trying to wean myself off my Efexor (one pill every other day at the mo) i've noticed i've been seriously hungry on the days i take a pill. I dont know if maybe these pills have stopped my 'comfort eating' habit and maybe slowly its creeping back... but its a bit odd.
that sounds possible to me. i had to work really hard to knock my binge eating on the head at the start of this year. i managed to, and have kept some weight off, but with the binge eating gone, i picked up some other rather nasty coping strategies

i'm sort of between strategies right now
Old 27th October 2009, 14:33
Banned

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
sounds like you are inviting me to give my opinion and natter on a bit

with the beta blockers cutting out my constant fight or flight response, i don't need the same quantity of stimulants as i used to. but i still have a stimulant addiction, so i am naturally seeking a milder form of stimulation

its weird tho...although i feel "lower" since i started taking beta blockers, at first i wanted to guzzle loads of cola. i think i was used to having all that manic energy from the fight or flight, and then suddenly it was taken away and i realised how exhausted i am

i'm hoping i will get used to not feeling manic and stop trying to MAKE myself manic with constant white choc

so...glad its not just me!

btw i've had my eye on that galaxy cookie crumble, is it good?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:35
Banned

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
that sounds possible to me. i had to work really hard to knock my binge eating on the head at the start of this year. i managed to, and have kept some weight off, but with the binge eating gone, i picked up some other rather nasty coping strategies

i'm sort of between strategies right now
beta blockers slow your heart rate down, so can make you feel tired and sluggish and down.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:48

Mood
Apelike

Dark chocolate (or cocoa) speeds up the heart rate while also lowering blood pressure.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:52
Banned

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylopithekos
Dark chocolate (or cocoa) speeds up the heart rate while also lowering blood pressure.
got beta blockers lowering your heart rate and chocalate speeding it up so your body is confused!! which can alter your mood.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:41

Mood
Crappy

meds make me eat more but I don't think they make me eat anything specific. I stopped taking them last week as I was fretting about putting wieght on, but I went slowly crazy again so I am taking them now.
Old 29th October 2009, 04:29

Mood
Apelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist23
got beta blockers lowering your heart rate and chocalate speeding it up so your body is confused!! which can alter your mood.
My body's not confused. There's lots of chocolate and no beta blockers.
Closed Thread