Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th February 2018, 13:51
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Default Re: Random Questions (3)

Why is it that on the one day I actually feel motivated to clean my car, my neighbour decides to clean both of his?
By the time he's finished it'll be raining again and I won't get to do mine.
Old 15th February 2018, 14:16

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebka
^ that is. THE most. Cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

I can only assume hes nuts about jesus
Old 15th February 2018, 15:33

@biscuits I was once trapped for three weeks with a cat sat on me. I would have starved to death if it hadn't of got bored and wandered off eventually. I tried everything from gentle persuasion to slightly annoyed subtle hints.
Old 17th February 2018, 14:31

Does anyone know, if i wanted to watch BT Sport via someone else's online account whilst they were watching at their home, whether that's gonna be cool with BT or would the account holder need to upgrade to some 'friends & family' package shizz?

Much appreciated (if answered)
Old 17th February 2018, 21:40

Mood
Sneaky

in fight club, when they say that self improvement is masturbation, do they mean that its a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 21st February 2018, 23:31
Banned at own request

^ yes, yes they do.

How does "talking to your GP" actually work ? I mean for somebody who isnt registered anywhere, hasnt seen a doctor ever, has no clue about the process and is tentatively considering the fact that at some point they need to do this kind of thing. In basic-non scary steps, where does one start? To keep it simple lets say its a medical rather than mental issue.

I assume it starts with a phone call right ? Or dropping in ?
Old 21st February 2018, 23:37

Mood
Lonely

^ Flumps, I got my Mum to drop in and ask for a new patient form, filled that out and then she booked an appointment via telephone (it was a home visit). I haven't actually been in the surgery for years (it might happen in March) so I'm not much help, sorry.
Old 21st February 2018, 23:42
Banned at own request

^ Thank you dimps, a home visit isnt much help for me but knowing that somebody else can make the calls on my behalf is

Starting the process via a form is a big help for me. Thinking about my end game is just way to much at the moment but I can at least start the process perhaps

maybe

at some point

perhaps some time soon
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:56

^ I'm sure my doctors has a form online that you can fill in, or print off and complete. I would imagine once they receive your form they will contact you with a appointment time

Update
I have just looked online and a form is available to downland, I'll send you a link to my doctors website, I know you won't register there but at least it gives you an idea of the process.

Another update
A link to the form

http://www.mysurgerywebsite.co.uk/re...istration1.pdf
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:16

When you attend a forum meet do you introduce yourself, OR hide your identity and hope it remains a secret.
Old 22nd February 2018, 03:11
Banned at own request

^^ thank you newbs, many grassy arses
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpsy
How does "talking to your GP" actually work ? I mean for somebody who isnt registered anywhere, hasnt seen a doctor ever, has no clue about the process and is tentatively considering the fact that at some point they need to do this kind of thing. In basic-non scary steps, where does one start? To keep it simple lets say its a medical rather than mental issue.

I assume it starts with a phone call right ? Or dropping in ?
When I changed GPs after moving I registered as a new patient online. Filled the form out online and sent it electronically. They then rang me to book a new-patient check-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
When you attend a forum meet do you introduce yourself, OR hide your identity and hope it remains a secret.
I used to just say my first name. I never introduced myself with my forum username or anything
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:09

Mood
Fine

Does anyone know where I could do IT volunteering?
Old 22nd February 2018, 13:10

Mood
Dreaming

You could try searching Do It: https://do-it.org/

They list lots of opportunities. You can search by location and interest.
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:09

Does using the dishwasher really use no more energy and water than doing the washing up by hand? Google seems to suggest so, but my brain won't accept it.
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:58

Quote:

What colour would a mirror be if it didn’t reflect? Actually what would a mirror even look like if it didn’t reflect?
What happens when you put a chameleon on a mirror?
Old 24th February 2018, 01:16

Quote:
^
What colour would a mirror be if it didn’t reflect? Actually what would a mirror even look like if it didn’t reflect?
Black. Anything that doesn't reflect is black. But everything reflects something, even if it's not visible light. Even black holes aren't actually black. In fact, black holes kinda look like mirrors! (Sort of)
Old 24th February 2018, 12:33

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
^ technically it uses LESS energy, mainly because when you wash by hand it takes some of your own energy too, ya know? Hand and arm energy... or something. But I suppose hand and arm energy is used when loading a dishwasher too hand and arm energy is used for other things too, like tossing... a ball. Or rubbing... chalk off of a chalk board. Or something.

dont be fooled by all the pseudo-scientific answers here rebka, the correct answer is that mirror glass often has a slightly green tinge, so it would look like looking at a piece of tinfoil pinned behind some slightly green glass, and you wouldnt see your face looking at it because it wasnt reflecting
Old 25th February 2018, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
Even black holes aren't actually black. In fact, black holes kinda look like mirrors! (Sort of)
Where did you learn this?

Black holes would be perfectly black past the event horizon where not even light can escape, however the light from behind the black hole would be bent around the edges due to the effects of gravitational lensing and a small amount of radiation would be emitted due to the effects of hawking radiation.

If instead of reflecting the light the mirror absorbs it, then the mirror would be black.
Old 25th February 2018, 12:02

^ I'm sure I read somewhere that the refraction around a black hole is strong enough that you can see light from behind you around it as the light is bent back to where it's coming from. So not really like a mirror, hence the "sort of" disclaimer. It wasn't meant to be too technical.
Old 25th February 2018, 14:05

Quote:
On the subject of black holes I was reading about how if you witness someone entering one you’d see them burn to a crisp and die and stuff, but meanwhile the person who supposedly burned to a crisp and died is alive and fine, and not burning to a crisp. It’s like a paradox thingy, two realities.

People are trying to figure out which reality would be the actual reality, or if both of them would be the reality and it’s kinda cool and confusing
I have not heard that theory before, cool if true

one of the main things ive heard about black holes is time goes slower the closer you are to a black hole. so when you are super close to it 1 second seems to pass for you, several weeks/months might pass for the rest of the universe. so in this instance, with the being burned to a crisp, the person being burned will experience it fairly quickly. but outside observers will see it happen in super super super(x1,000,000) slow motion. xD
that's my understanding of it anyway, which i mainly got from one of my favourite stargate episodes

here's a vid about black holes, which i love but also makes my head hurites from it's paradoxical nature

edit: dis is a good one too, which tackles what happens if you fall in one

Old 26th February 2018, 14:48
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Does anyone know anything about noise cancelling headphones?

The more I look online at them the more utterly confused I am. Do they/would they work for neighbours loud music?,including bass beats or that aggravating 'doof doof' noise.

Do you have to be listening to something when using them? could you use them for watching TV? ie. listening to the TV whilst blocking outside noise.

They seem v. expensive and I don't really want to buy something that's going to be crap. My neighbours music ranges from mildly annoying to where I am at just now - rave proportions.
Old 26th February 2018, 15:09
Banned

I'm not sure mo but I do sympathise. I once had noisy neighbours who play sweary rap music, they had a toddler as well.
If I could I'd smash a sledgehammer right into their speakers! It's so inconsiderate.
Old 26th February 2018, 15:11

Noise cancellation will definitely reduce the sound but won't stop the 'feeling' from the bass. I'd say they would still be a good investment though.

I could cancel the noise for you, but it may get messy and will involve the police at some point
Old 26th February 2018, 15:12
Banned

What happens to your house you own outright if you died with no friends or family or will for it to go to?
Who takes charge of it or the process?
Just something I've always wondered
Old 26th February 2018, 15:14

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Does anyone know anything about noise cancelling headphones?

The more I look online at them the more utterly confused I am. Do they/would they work for neighbours loud music?,including bass beats or that aggravating 'doof doof' noise.

Do you have to be listening to something when using them? could you use them for watching TV? ie. listening to the TV whilst blocking outside noise.

They seem v. expensive and I don't really want to buy something that's going to be crap. My neighbours music ranges from mildly annoying to where I am at just now - rave proportions.

The idea is that they produce a soundwave that cancels out the background noise you wish to eliminate. The soundwave will be 180 degrees out of phase with your background noise and the way this works is they add together to give no sound in you ears.

How well the earphones work i cant comment on. What I would say is that a lot of loud noises can actually be felt through the floor, and in your body. Obviously earphones can't affect what you're feeling in your feet :/ from the sounds of it, your neighbours are easily making enough noise that you could complain to the council about it.

The problem I have is that I can easily hear my neighbours talking downstairs and they do so until 4 in the morning, but I don't really feel I have a right to complain about people talking x(
Old 26th February 2018, 15:18

Mood
Fine

^^ There was a program on TV where a government agency tracks down nearest living relatives of people in that kind of situation, they'd find someone like a 7th cousin once removed or whatever
Old 26th February 2018, 15:34
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^
Yeah I used to enjoy watching that it'd be quite nice to be tracked down and someone be like 'here's 20 grand!' or 'you've just inherited a house', lol.

I think if there really is nobody at all it's held by the state/treasury I think.
Old 26th February 2018, 15:40
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
The idea is that they produce a soundwave that cancels out the background noise you wish to eliminate. The soundwave will be 180 degrees out of phase with your background noise and the way this works is they add together to give no sound in you ears.

How well the earphones work i cant comment on. What I would say is that a lot of loud noises can actually be felt through the floor, and in your body. Obviously earphones can't affect what you're feeling in your feet :/ from the sounds of it, your neighbours are easily making enough noise that you could complain to the council about it.

The problem I have is that I can easily hear my neighbours talking downstairs and they do so until 4 in the morning, but I don't really feel I have a right to complain about people talking x(

Thanks Kevin Yeah there is the vibration aspect of the bass which I think would be hard to eliminate as it's like you say something you feel.

I might have a look on ebay etc.. See if there's anything cheap I can maybe try out. Sooner or later I will be complaining tho :/

God that sounds just as annoying! 4oclock in the morning but yeah I know what you mean it's hard when you feel the noise ppl make can't be complained about.
I wanna live in a field, away from it all!
Old 26th February 2018, 15:52

@Vienna I think it actually goes to the Crown - as if they need any extra money. Yet another reason to have a will, I guess; leave it to a worthy charity instead.