SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd September 2019, 16:42

Default Help

Hello there,
I am looking for help and advice regarding my 20 year old son who has suffered for a number of years with anxiety and depression . He has received help from a variety of professionals - psychiatrists/psychologists both when a child and adult.
I am trying again to see if we can find him a therapist to help him - someone who has a particular interest in young adults/anxiety.
We live in the South west, in Somerset although can travel if needs be.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? We would be so grateful.
Thank you everyone.
x
Old 22nd September 2019, 16:52

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Help

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for therapists, I'm sure other posters will be able to help you with that.

Two books that can be good to read on the whole subject of anxiety and depression are 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris and 'Lost Connections' by Johann Hari, either for you or for your son if he's interested.

Improving from these conditions can be a long process and can involve seeing different therapists and/or trying different medications before finding something helpful, so don't be discouraged. It's also important for your son to know that it's not his fault and suffering with these things isn't something that he can control, but it is possible to feel a lot better as many people on this forum have done.
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:26

The counselling directory lists qualified therapists and you can search by area.

https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/

But as Dougella says, we sometimes benefit from a mix of aproaches. Medication should not be ruled out, even if only for a limited period - it has certainly helped me.

Perhaps you could encourage your son to come on to this forum himself, members are very supportive, and it would probably do him good to talk to people who have the same problems.
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:12

Mood
Balanced

Quite an open ended question Louise.

It would depend on your son, what exactly is going on with him, how he feels...etc.
Old 4th October 2019, 21:36

Could you elaborate?