Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th April 2014, 13:42

Mood
Daring

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

^ Google couch to 5k.. Also there's a zombie running app out so that'd help with motivation
Old 20th April 2014, 18:26

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonlane
I've started doing sit-ups as part of my morning ritual. The skinny guy with a belly look has got to go.

I'm really consistent with my worksouts now. I'm feeling stronger, energised and i've been eating properly for the last couple of months, which is probably causing my continual and on going Radiance. Just need to get my arse to the gym and back among civilization.

Looking forward to summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory
Any tips on starting running, particularly fitting it in around working full-time and staying motivated?

I've been aiming to start running regularly for a while but finally I think I'm going to start when I have all of the clothing (jacket to keep my keys etc. in and possibly new trainers).
Not sure if this much of a tip, but I bought a treadmill the other day. It's in my lounge, and I've used it the past four days, each day jogging further than the day before. It cost £139.99 but I am already finding it a good investment. I would never go running or jogging outside, and would feel too self-conscious at the gym, but am enjoying doing it at home, watching films on Netflix Would recommend one...
Old 20th April 2014, 18:27

Mood
Spaced

Does anyone take protein drinks / snacks as part of exercise?
Old 20th April 2014, 22:45
Banned

Mood
Scared

^ I started taking protein shakes two weeks ago after my workouts. I've always been against them, mainly because I dont trust these big companies who tend to be more interested in profit over peoples health but I went with a reputable product. I dont always eat the right foods or at the right times so I felt I might not be getting the full benefits of my workouts. So I started taking whey protein.

Research on the subject has definitely made me more conscious of what I'm putting into my body and the times I eat. I'm religious with the post workout shakes.
Old 20th April 2014, 23:05

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
^ I started taking protein shakes two weeks ago after my workouts. I've always been against them, mainly because I dont trust these big companies who tend to be more interested in profit over peoples health but I went with a reputable product. I dont always eat the right foods or at the right times so I felt I might not be getting the full benefits of my workouts. So I started taking whey protein.

Research on the subject has definitely made me more conscious of what I'm putting into my body and the times I eat. I'm religious with the post workout shakes.
Same here, been taking them for 2 / 3 weeks, but not with every session. Do you find they're making a difference? I'm finding muscles on my body I never knew I had ! But it's coupled with a better diet this month, & lots of additional protein.
Old 20th April 2014, 23:33
Banned

Mood
Scared

^ My body is changing shape, its hard to tell in two weeks of protein shakes but my shoulders & arms look bigger and more defined. I've only been working on my upper half, so my body looks odd. Muscular arms but saggy man boobs is NOT the look I was going for. Now i'm doing full body workouts I expect to see an overall improvement in May.

I'm feeling alot more energised though.
Old 21st April 2014, 00:17

Mood
Spaced

Buttonlane - have you used any products that contain Creatin...?

I took some photos of me in front of a mirror (in pants!) a couple of weeks ago, which I'm using as an inspiration to shed the pounds. Hopefully I can take some better ones in a few months... Also I'm weighing myself almost every day; it's nice to see the number going down most days!
Old 21st April 2014, 00:40
Banned

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by robx
Buttonlane - have you used any products that contain Creatin...?
I'm not interested in Creatine. It bulks you up fast but as soon as you come off it you lose mass and strength and pretty much back to where you started from. That seems to be the theme I hear from these youtube Gurus's on Creatine. Though someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robx
I took some photos of me in front of a mirror (in pants!) a couple of weeks ago, which I'm using as an inspiration to shed the pounds. Hopefully I can take some better ones in a few months... Also I'm weighing myself almost every day; it's nice to see the number going down most days!

In your pants huh? I believe you
Well, I have to admit, i've never been one for posing infront of the mirror but since i've gained abit of muscle, I have indulged in abit of full length mirror action myself.
I've also noticed i'm randomly flexing alot to...ahem
Old 21st April 2014, 01:46

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
I'm not interested in Creatine. It bulks you up fast but as soon as you come off it you lose mass and strength and pretty much back to where you started from. That seems to be the theme I hear from these youtube Gurus's on Creatine. Though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In your pants huh? I believe you
Well, I have to admit, i've never been one for posing infront of the mirror but since i've gained abit of muscle, I have indulged in abit of full length mirror action myself.
I've also noticed i'm randomly flexing alot to...ahem
Haha buttonlane, I don't go taking nude selfies I hope your photos were also as decent as mine I think taking personal pics to monitor your progress is a good idea - if you can see the work you're putting in is making a difference, it inspires you do more and keep at it!

lol same here - I randomly flexed a pec (that's pushing it) the other day... no idea how i did it and haven't been able to repeat
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:50

Today I've been walking around like I'm from the ghetto, but the truth is I got seriously sore thighs, hamstrings, groin, and buttocks... lower body DOMS are the worst.
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:06

^ Wtf, I thought you were from the ghetto? Big part of your charm's gone right there, bro. I should have known when it was revealed you make risotto.
Old 25th April 2014, 22:03
Banned

Mood
Scared

Arnie is cumming.

I can't say I get this feeling when I'm doing the weights myself.....would be a nice bonus though.

Old 25th April 2014, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar
Does anyone take protein drinks / snacks as part of exercise?
Just a tip, if you're taking protein shakes don't mix it with cold water. I'm still getting over the trauma of the taste after about a week.
Old 4th May 2014, 13:22
Banned

Mood
Scared

Change your body change your mind.

Fascinating interview with Randy Clarke. I'm a big fan of Elliot. Maybe this might be thought provoking for some of yall.

Old 14th May 2014, 12:57
Banned

Mood
Scared

Just saw this on yahoo. Big respect to this guy. He completely transformed his body in just 3 months. Amazing.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...064954398.html
Old 14th May 2014, 15:31

Mood
Daring

^ Just looks like a super bulk and a cutting phase, he already had that muscle before, hidden by the extra fat.

I remember being 13/14 or so and being really fat, and remembering seeing these photos, i'd get so mad at myself that I couldn't make progress of that illusion, in a few months.
Old 14th May 2014, 15:32

Mood
Daring

If anyone wants a natural bodybuilders ebook (Jeff Willet) pm me, very inspirational
Old 14th May 2014, 23:13

Mood
Breezy

Just about to go back to boxing for the first time in ages after getting myself fighting fit and I pick up a stupid calf/achilles injury No skipping, no running, no sparring. Just my luck. This is the third time I've had to put off going back since last november due to injury, must be getting old. Hopefully my conditioning won't slip too much before I'm healthy again.
Old 15th May 2014, 14:52

Mood
Cool

After many months of passive investment in the paunch I'm getting, I started the 'Couch to 5K' plan yesterday. Went much better than I thought (I was expecting to collapse halfway through) as I haven't done any kind of jogging for years. You'd think running for 8 minutes is completely do-able but it's harder than first expected. I'm also doing some weight work on my arms on the alternate days, just some bicep curls for now.
Old 26th May 2014, 14:24

^ Well done. I've been meaning to start that but I keep making excuses...

So those of you who run, do you find it's busier in the morning or evening? I'm wondering when there will be less people around.
Old 10th July 2014, 20:32

Mood
Bored

I started running 2 months ago. I definitely find it quieter in the morning, if I go at 6:45am before work there is hardly anyone about apart from the odd dog walker. I prefer early morning running, it's so nice and quiet. I find the amazing thing about running is how quickly you improve just by running a few times a week. Two months ago I could barely run 5 minutes, last Saturday I managed to run 6.45 miles without stopping and no walking!

I also find that running sticks me in a bit of a better mood and helps me concentrate a bit more, so although it's hard to get up in the morning I find it helps the day be a bit better.
Old 29th October 2014, 17:39

Mood
Fine

I'm pleased this thread has been brought to my attention. Thanks @RocketSpud
I'm 50 now but I still train 4-5 times a week at the gym and I've recently started a great new programme. basically, my schedule looks like this:
What I do is a "6x6x10" routine, i.e. it's 6 exercises consisting of 6 sets of 10 reps. That's a total of 360 reps per session which takes around an hour, depending on the workout.
I stick to the same weight throughout each set of reps, but look to adding 5-10kgs the following week. This is great for general strength and conditioning. Without listing the particular exercises at this moment, I'll start with a full dissection of the programme starting tomorrow with Thursday's session. here's my weekly format.....

Monday - Chest+Triceps
Tuesday - Legs+Abs
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Shoulders+Delts
Friday - High reps+Cardio
Saturday - Back+Biceps
Sunday - Rest

Weight training keeps my mind off my insecurities, keeps me fit into my middle age (!) and is a great way to have time for myself away from everything going on.
I'd like to post these regular workouts on this thread if I may. This might help others to get involved and it could also help motivate me to keep going when I can't be bothered!

Thanks guys
Old 31st October 2014, 06:41

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
^ Hi Larry

I wondered how many years you have been doing weights and if you have any problems with your joints at all. I did the 6 day a week exercise thing for a while and later had a lot of problems with my knees and other leg joints. I was in a job at the time where I was on my feet for 8 hours a day though which probably made it worse. Nowadays I only tend to do walking but still get the urge to at least do some upper body exercises.
Hi Rufus.
Yes bud. At my age I need to be careful of my lower back so I don't do any deadlifting or squats these days. My knees are also a bit dicky, as is my right shoulder.
I always stretch a little after each exercise and I find just using the traction or lat pulldown machines eases my back well.
You should keep up the training if you enjoy it mate
Old 31st October 2014, 08:22

I've been doing a yoga set every morning before breakfast for a few weeks. Very, very beneficial.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:47

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Cheers Larry,actually the doctor blamed all the weights i did in my youth for the problems I had with my legs later in life and told me to never do any again.
My chest has stayed similar size but I would still at least like to do some weights for my arms.
I can't believe your doctor could be so ignorant. He obviously has no idea about weight training, just the medical side. If I were you mate I would get professional advice from a sports physio, they know exactly what the problems are with training-related injuries not doctors.

If you're interested, I'm about to note the details of my workout programme I briefly mentioned a few posts ago. I'll begin with today's session in the next post
Old 31st October 2014, 21:52

Mood
Fine

Okay. Back to the training and today was the high reps and cardio. Some of the exercises call for a continuous 50 reps, whilst others are spilt into 5 sets of 20.

I put all my efforts into the hi-reps because I knew I would be too tired to do much cardio, but this is how it went with notes added......

Friday 31/10/14. High Reps+Cardio:

1. Lat pulldown (hammer grip):
50x30kg

2. Rope face pulls:
50x15kg
* You wouldn't believe the strain these put on the arms. Bi's and tri's shocked to the limit already!

3. Rope pulldowns, chest to waist:
50x20kg

4. Triceps pulldown, stack machine w/backrest:
20x30kg - 1 set
20x25kg - 4 sets
* I found the first set too much after the rope pulls, so dropped 5kgs for the rest.

5. Smith press, flat bench:
20x20kg - 3 sets
20x25kg - 2 sets
* Stick with 25kg next time.

6. BB bench press, incline, close grip:
50x20kg
* Had to pause in extended position after 40 reps then continued the final 10 reps. Triceps looking mightily pumped after all this.

7. Single DB raise, flat bench:
20x32kg - 5 sets

8. Forearm reverse curls:
33x10kg
* Looks like a light weight, but try doing 50 reps on standing f/arm curls - it's not easy. managed 33 reps and quit.

9. Leg extensions:
50x30kg

10. Incline leg press:
50x100kg
* Both the extensions and presses started to get very tough after around 30 reps, but I shut my eyes, persevered and continued to the max without stopping. Seriously jellified quads when I managed to stand up.

11. Ab crunches:
120x30kg
* lol. Just kept going with these. Past 50, then past 100.

I did about 5 minutes on the bike and ditched the rest of the cardio as I was shattered. Popped into the Chinese on the way home and I've just scoffed down a kung po hot chilli chicken with egg fried rice and two bottles so far of Hobgoblin. :tongue:rinking:

The beauty of this programme is that I can swap and change some of these high rep exercises with routine exercises which are done on the other days, though I'm quite happy with today's as they stand. You will notice I don't do any isolated bicep work on the high reps as I don't want to jeopardise tomorrow's Back+Bi's session.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any positive advice, etc.
Old 1st November 2014, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry F
Okay. Back to the training and today was the high reps and cardio. Some of the exercises call for a continuous 50 reps, whilst others are spilt into 5 sets of 20.

I put all my efforts into the hi-reps because I knew I would be too tired to do much cardio, but this is how it went with notes added......

Friday 31/10/14. High Reps+Cardio:

1. Lat pulldown (hammer grip):
50x30kg

2. Rope face pulls:
50x15kg
* You wouldn't believe the strain these put on the arms. Bi's and tri's shocked to the limit already!

3. Rope pulldowns, chest to waist:
50x20kg

4. Triceps pulldown, stack machine w/backrest:
20x30kg - 1 set
20x25kg - 4 sets
* I found the first set too much after the rope pulls, so dropped 5kgs for the rest.

5. Smith press, flat bench:
20x20kg - 3 sets
20x25kg - 2 sets
* Stick with 25kg next time.

6. BB bench press, incline, close grip:
50x20kg
* Had to pause in extended position after 40 reps then continued the final 10 reps. Triceps looking mightily pumped after all this.

7. Single DB raise, flat bench:
20x32kg - 5 sets

8. Forearm reverse curls:
33x10kg
* Looks like a light weight, but try doing 50 reps on standing f/arm curls - it's not easy. managed 33 reps and quit.

9. Leg extensions:
50x30kg

10. Incline leg press:
50x100kg
* Both the extensions and presses started to get very tough after around 30 reps, but I shut my eyes, persevered and continued to the max without stopping. Seriously jellified quads when I managed to stand up.

11. Ab crunches:
120x30kg
* lol. Just kept going with these. Past 50, then past 100.

I did about 5 minutes on the bike and ditched the rest of the cardio as I was shattered. Popped into the Chinese on the way home and I've just scoffed down a kung po hot chilli chicken with egg fried rice and two bottles so far of Hobgoblin. :tongue:rinking:

The beauty of this programme is that I can swap and change some of these high rep exercises with routine exercises which are done on the other days, though I'm quite happy with today's as they stand. You will notice I don't do any isolated bicep work on the high reps as I don't want to jeopardise tomorrow's Back+Bi's session.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any positive advice, etc.

Your motivation is amazing! Also, how is your SA when you're at the gym? Mine was bad until I went so much with a friend that I could eventually go on my own without being too affected by it.

I've recently moved to Sheffield so had to cancel my membership at my previous location. I haven't worked up the nerve to go to a new gym again. There's one really close at Pond's Forge but it's huge and I imagine there will be loads of people there.

I also never dared to leave the machines.. the freeweights area was always full of super-confident veterans and I felt I wasn't worthy to go into that area.
Old 1st November 2014, 23:34

Mood
Fine

@TTSP @Rufus
Thanks for the kind words. I've exercised with weights for over 25 years on and off. I'm by no means a bodybuilder but I keep myself relatively toned and muscly!

I'm still fairly uneasy sometimes when I'm at the gym. Luckily I've gained a lot of self-confidence over the years simply because I'm much happier with my body shape than I used to be.
But even today I still have trouble with people whom I think are staring at me. I'm always going to be immensely self-conscious. I just blank it out and get on with my programme.
I hope you don't mind me posting my workouts in here. Perhaps others can try them out?
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:59

Mood
Fine

While I remember, I'll post today's workout. I'll keep this going for the whole week's programme and ask if it's worthwhile me keeping it going on this forum.

Saturday 1/11/14. Back+Biceps:

1. Lat pulldown, bicep grip:
5x10x50kg
1x12x70kg - fail
* The final set on each exercise is of course an additional fail set. Perhaps too heavy with the 70kg, but next time the sets weight will be increased to 55kg.

2. Low row, hammer grip, single arm, alt:
5x10x70kg
1x11x90kg (right arm), 1x10x90kg (left) - fails
* Pulling a lot of weight these days on these rows. Next time increase the load to 75kg.

3. Kneeling bent-over DB row, alt.:
5x10x26kg
1x8x32kg (right), 1x6x32kg (left) - fails
* I adapted these. Instead of pulling straight up with the dumbbell, I lifted half way and the rest of the movement was an inward curl. This work both my back to a certain point and the biceps for the rest of the curl.

4. E-Z preacher curl, low vertical pull (slow):
5x10x23kg
1x9x30.5kg - fail
* Biceps fully veiny and pumped after this little lot!

5. High pull bicep cable curls:
5x10x20kg
1x10x25kg
* I actually forgot to make the final set a fail set. next time the 5 sets will increase to 25kg.

6. Oly bar curl (no extra weight):
23 reps.
* This was poor really. One single set as many as poss. perhaps if I'd done this earlier in the session I would have managed more. Not to worry.

Time taken: 55 mins.
Despite my fatigue at the day's events, I put in a relatively good session and I'm pleased with it. Tomorrow is rest day, Monday chest+tri's.

Thanks for reading
Old 2nd November 2014, 15:34

Mood
Fine

And so tomorrow's workout became today's. This will work well because my first night back after the weekend is always a grueller, it will be good to rest :chilling: So without further ado, here's the session...

Sunday 2/11/14. Chest+Bi's:

1. Smith press, incline:
5x10x40kg
1x7x60kg - fail
* Found these really easy, although the fail set was a bit of a sudden jump:omg: I'll up the weight to 50kg next week.

2. Bench press, std. grip:
5x10x50kg
1x10x60kg - fail
* Add 5kg next time.

3. Chest press (stack machine):
5x10x60kg
1x12x80kg - fail
* Always been fine with these and the weight was too low. But I'll play safe and just add another 5kg next time.

4. Triceps pulldown (in front, against backrest):
5x10x30kg
1x8x40kg - fail
* Love this exercise, the triceps get extremely tight. Up it to 35kg next week.

5. Cable pulldowns ('Freemotion' machine):
3x10x25kg - reverse grip, alt. hands
1x23x41kg - reverse grip, fail, left hand
1x26x41kg - reverse grip, fail, right hand
2x10x34kg - standard grip, alt. hands
1x21x45kg - standard grip, fail, left hand
1x22x45kg - standard grip, fail, right hand
* This began as a reverse grip pulldown but it all got a bit confusing because halfway through I decided to included a standard grip as well. Plus, with the left and right hand swap over, I really had to be careful with my notes. And even worse, the Freemotion machines are in 'lbs' so I had to convert the weight as I type on a calculator! :typing: :think:Next time I'll split these into two separate exercises and it will be easier to read! I'll add the weights too; these were very easy.:lift:

6. Single DB raise, flat bench, push up (hands interlocked):
* My favourite exercise. I'm going to do the whole lot with the 50kg DB next week, sets and fails :smartass:

Time taken: 55 mins.

I'm not going really heavy anymore. I've decided that I would perhaps be a little deluded and unrealistic at my time of life to think about increasing any serious bulk. Muscle typically depletes as we age, though having said that I can still get very pumped on these sessions of 360+ reps and I put in all my effort. It's the matter of keeping the muscle there which is the eternal problem. With these exercises, adding 5-10kgs each time, I'm obviously keeping my strength and certainly looking okay, so it's best not to go overboard. This just fuks me up at work being tired all the time.

A big reason for me listing my workouts is that I'm hoping if anyone is interested on SAUK about weight training, they could probably adapt some of these exercises to their own specifications. I'm here to help with any questions about your training anytime

Thanks for reading guys