SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th April 2022, 16:59

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

^ aw that’s great. Holiday anxiety can be difficult to cope with - being unable to retreat to home, so it’s a huge achievement that you feel settled there when travelling alone.

Did you use Airbnb?

I wonder if you happened to notice…. does it have much of a veggie/vegan scene?
Old 24th April 2022, 18:16
Banned at own request

Well done Tembo I don’t think I could travel abroad on my own, I can barely get up the road on my own.
Old 24th April 2022, 22:26

Mood
Alienated

^^^ No I just found a cheap hotel. Thankfully it seemed there were lots of discounts as hotels are trying to encourage people to stay since Covid.

I would say Germany is a bit behind the UK with the vegan/veggie scene. It is a very meat-heavy country. The amount of sausage everywhere is astounding (no sniggering at the back please). It also seems most people still smoke cigarettes too!
However, Berlin probably has more of a veggie scene than most of Germany, and I certainly noticed a few vegan/veggie cafes/restaurants.
I also managed, without realising, to have a vegan currywurst (curry sausage). It tasted just like an ordinary bratwurst sausage, which I didn’t think would be possible to replicate. I’d certainly have it again - it certainly wasn’t the, er, wurst I’ve ever had...

Thank you Crafty Elf and Quietman
Old 25th April 2022, 11:12

Mood
Cynical

^ *sniggers at the back*
Well done Tembo, travelling can be a really anxiety provoking thing to do
Old 25th April 2022, 18:33

^^ That's great to know. Thank you, Tembo! It's difficult to resist a bit of sossidge
Old 25th April 2022, 18:45

^ I've been to Berlin and can confirm that yes you can get vegetarian food - well I didn't starve. It was pretty good tbh.
I went when it was warm and the World Cup was on and everyone was watching the football in parks and squares. I don't care about football but it was a good atmosphere.
Old 4th June 2022, 12:24

I’ve been doing a home calisthenics workout for a few months. On and off. I do simple workouts where it feels like the workout isn’t even enough to see improvement sometines. Though I have gotten to the stage where the workouts are actually challenging or there are certain moves I can’t do properly yet such as the tucked front lever.

But I also have a pull-up bar. I use to be able to do a few pull-ups but they were painful and I struggled to do them. Yesterday I went to try some pull-ups and it seems like I can do 5 pull-ups in a row without much struggle.

The calisthenics workouts, despite not feeling intense must be working. As I also do straight leg body rows and other pulling exercises which aren’t as hard I guess as a pull up.
Old 4th July 2022, 17:31

I had a consignment that took me, driving, into the very middle of London. It went surprisingly well - didn't really get stressy about it too much until Regent Street, stopping at traffic lights with hundreds of people walking about everywhere! The traffic was okay for the most part until i got closer to the centre where it became fairly stop start, but never deadlocked. I did get a bit woah when i realised some of the places i was casually wandering through I didn't bother thinking about it or looking a map over before i went (all faith in google maps), so you can imagine my slight awe as i passed by these places. I haven't been to London for a loooong time and have never drove through, so this was pretty good going for me.
Old 4th July 2022, 17:37

^ nice one Rocket of Spudville! Driving in London is scary, so I take my imaginary hat off to you.

Does this mean you've got a new job going?
Old 4th July 2022, 17:38

^^^ that sounds great, Alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
^ I've been to Berlin and can confirm that yes you can get vegetarian food - well I didn't starve. It was pretty good tbh.
I went when it was warm and the World Cup was on and everyone was watching the football in parks and squares. I don't care about football but it was a good atmosphere.
I'm sorry anxiouslondoner, I didn't see this.

Thank you for the recommendations. Hopefully I'm going to Berlin this summer :D
Old 4th July 2022, 17:50

^^ Thankyou!

I'm working, but it's very unlikely to be permanent. My brother called in a favour at his place and i'm doing all sorts where i can. The work that i can do is petering out though and i may just end up being on call for the odd driver job, which isn't sustainable in the long run for me. It's been good while it's lasted.
Old 4th July 2022, 18:31

Good ol' Rocket Bruv.

That's good that you've got something to keep you going for a bit. Hope something pops up for you soon
Old 4th July 2022, 18:46

Lol, love Rocket Bruv!

Yeah, we'll see. It's been good in many respects, but hasn't helped with the feeling of instability that a more permanent role will bring (and i'm still uncertain of where that's gonna come from!).

I had another job for a very short period before btw, lol. That went to pot when i walked out of a training course. I had an anxiety spike when it was time for 'introductions'. I knew it would be panic inducing so just got up and left. Unfortunately courses are mandatory and i had to leave.

You might be thinking, 'oh well, at least you managed to interview'. Nah. No interview for either job!
Old 4th July 2022, 18:52

Haha sorry I feel like I haven't tuned in to all episodes of the rocket spud show. I missed the one where you had a temp job.

Oh that sounds rubbish. No one likes these things do they? So why do places insist on doing it! No one cares who anyone else is on the course. You'll never see them again!

Have you thought of ever going for heavy goods training or something like that? There's a shortage of drivers and a lot of places are giving free training.
Old 4th July 2022, 19:14

Hahah, i didn't post about them because of the uncertainty of it all.

Yeah, it's a load of plop. The little group that i was in didn't need it because it had no bearing on our roles but everyone in the company had to take it regardless. I hate this sort of nonsense anyway, so you can imagine how i felt. I decided to put it at the back of my mind and attend to see how i felt. Lol........ nah, i simply can't do talking where i'm the focus.

Hmmm, i'm not sure about long distance driving - the deliveries i've made have all been within 2hrs and, unless it's interesting scenery, it gets boring and tiresome. I'm a cautious driver but sustained driving really takes it's toll on my focus (lol, no mistakes on my part so far btw!). Maybe it's something that you adjust to, i don't know. I'd ideally like a job where you get a role at the place of work and 1-2 daily deliveries, that way i can mix it up with colleagues and also have the option to get the **** away from them!
Old 4th July 2022, 20:45

^ mm yeah, something with a little sociability but the option to have some alone time too - sounds ideal.

Hope you find what you're looking for
Old 7th July 2022, 20:00

Mood
Lurking

I managed to get myself to Sheffield on the train on Saturday for a Meeting of the Lone Twin Network, I was there with 17 strangers.

We did a bit of chatting as a group when we first arrived and the went into a group of 7, all of us had lost our twin at or around birth. At first I found it hard to say anything but when one of the ladies in the group spoke about what had happened to her, depression, guilt and lifelong grief, I realised that everything she had mentioned I had also suffered with. But I found that by relating about what I felt to the group, and all of them saying they had exactly the same feelings, was brilliant as I am not a freak of nature, it is just that we Lone Twins all feel the same and experience the same.

When I told them that I prefer not to celebrate my birthday and only go through the motions for Christmas, 5 of the group said that it is exactly the same for them. And I also found that depression is very prevalent in Lone Twins with some even succumbing to suicide. The other thing we all had in common was that we all eventually looked for the resting place of our twin, to try and bring closure, which it does not seem to do, but it seems to settle the mind, to know what happened to them.

It was a 4 hour meeting, and at the end I was exhausted. But it proved that all the mental health problems I suffer from stem from the lone twin syndrome, but they only started to look into it in the late 1980's. There is more research going on into the psychological effect of the death of a twin around birth, but it is really too late for us born in the 50's, 60's, 70's, the damage has already been done.
Old 7th July 2022, 21:49

^^ aw humphrey, that has brought tears to my eyes. It sounds like a really special moment that you had with other people who have experienced a similar loss as you. It's lovely that you've found the group. Feeling alone for so long with all that you have experienced...it must have been really special to make those empathetic connections

Are their plans to meet up with them again?
Old 8th July 2022, 19:11

Mood
Lurking

^ Their is another meeting in September, in Edinburgh I am thinking about driving up to that one.

It is good to know that I am not the only freak in village! It is good to know that what I have spent all my life feeling, is normal for us lone twins.
Old 9th July 2022, 17:56

Mood
Blah

I cannot believe I actually did this, I stood up to my boss about something very concerning/wrong that everyone was complaining about but noone else had the guts to say something.
I knew it was the right thing to do but I felt so sick & was shaking all day & usually I cry but this time something switched & I think I did well.

It was very awkward & my boss was very defensive at first but I think it ended ok.
Old 9th July 2022, 23:10

Mood
Pensive

Well done AireleeBray.

I have had situations like that in my life, where something needed to be said, but no one would say it, so I took it upon myself to do so. I was nervous as hell but my sense of injustice overcame my fear and anxiety.

Most times they ended amicably.
Old 9th July 2022, 23:17

Good one, AireleeBray!
Old 9th July 2022, 23:41

Aw excellent, Aireleebray!

Well done for sticking up for yourself

I bet you're the staffroom hero
Old 12th July 2022, 11:20

Yesterday at work idk if it was because I wasn’t speaking loud enough but I wasn’t able to pronounce rice as I find it hard to pronounce the letter r. The chefs took notice of this but I didn’t beat myself up for this.

I feel things like this have added to my anxiety, but then it doesn’t define me or make me less than. I wonder, this might sound silly, if having a haircut helped with that as it made my speech impediment seem like a smaller part of me than it usually would. In college I think one sociology teacher noticed this and probably used this to stop me from contributing in class.

When I have a haircut it seems like people are nicer to me, but then that creates anxiety because it makes the situation feel fake. I’ve concluded I also should try to define myself less by my appearance and judge others less by their appearance.
Old 12th July 2022, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AireleeBray
I cannot believe I actually did this, I stood up to my boss about something very concerning/wrong that everyone was complaining about but noone else had the guts to say something.
I knew it was the right thing to do but I felt so sick & was shaking all day & usually I cry but this time something switched & I think I did well.

It was very awkward & my boss was very defensive at first but I think it ended ok.
Well done 👍🏾
Old 6th August 2022, 01:31

Has my first full body massage. It was tickly, apparently i have a lot of stiffness built up and should go to get more massages.
Old 7th August 2022, 17:48

^ I'd love a massage. Or to give one.

Cut my hair. Looks good. Happy Rocket.
Old 8th August 2022, 12:11

^ haircuts make me feel fresher
Old 8th August 2022, 12:14

Booked a ticket to ride the heritage 1938 tube stock in September. This would probably trigger my anxiety and I’m most situations I am embarrassed to admit my interest in trains. It sounds silly but I was told it was weird to like trains as a kid or was shown that it was words and did think it was weird that from Year 5 or so I suppressed that interest in front of most people.
Old 8th August 2022, 14:22

^ there's nothing wrong with liking trains! Most people's hobbies make no sense when you over-analyse them, but some have popularity on their side.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Where is it?

(I'm more of a fan of stations and the railways themselves - railways strike me as strange places because you go through them but you're never really 'there')