SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd August 2005, 01:36

Cool Runner again!!

Finally I got something worthy for the trophy room that I wish to share.

Quick Story: One of my favorite hobbies was running but because of my anxiety I havnt been able to do it in 5 years since school. At the time I didnt know what had happened to me while I was in a race on sportsday. I just suddenly fell apart, had to stop running and was nearly sick just before finishing and winning a race. (Keeping in mind I was a good runner and knew how far I could push myself) Now I realise it was because my focus slipped and my anxiety and fear of people watching me, cheering and judging me etc kicked in. :embarass: (Which they ended up doing because of it) Kinda sad aint it.. put me right off that kind of thing since. Just one of meny things in my life I didnt understand why had happened untill I found this place.

Anyway I just looked up a running club thingy and went over to talk to them and they said I can join them for a bit and see how I like it. (And then membership costs..) Anxietywise its full of people who are 35 '+' years old, so no one who is near my age. There is a junior group but thats only goes up to 16 and is too young for me. But anti-anxiety my brother is going to come aswell as he wants to give it a try so I wont totally be on my own.

So.. I havnt exactly started yet but its on every tuesday and thursday for an hour. This is also to give me the courage/motivation to do it everyday outside of the group for a bit without the fear of being mocked/mugged by my friendly neighborhood of chavs. Maybe I could even join up with others in the club outside.. but maybe not because of the age gap and fact I look 16 so they wont really like me much.

Now give me lots of fake applause. I feel really.. reaally crap about it but eh.. this is my life it seems for now on. I dont know why but I have just had the real erge to get back into it again so Im trying. I have achieved other stuff aswell but they dont matter so much.. this is what im mostly chuffed about and want to share. I just bought a new computer game to reward myself for everything I have done lately and at the same time it distracts me from all the stress of things.

Ill update this at the end of the week to say how it went. Im ganna hurt I know.. only been sitting on my ass for all these years since.
Old 22nd August 2005, 05:04

Default Re: Runner again!!

I read your post and I think you are doing really well! I wish you all the best! Just concentrate on working hard enough to achieve the goals you set in this running club (and to enjoy it too, of course), then your running ability will come through on it's own.

As for the age barrier, I'd try not to worry about it. In my football team, I'm nominated captain, but I'm also the youngest in the pool of players! Apart from one girl who's six months older, the rest are all pushing 30+ whilst I'm still at the tender age of 22! (And I've never been the baby of the group before) I did worry a little at first, but I spoke to them and the age isn't a factor. Just remember, you have something in common with them already, so that will be a start.

It's good to hear you haven't ignored the urge to do something you were/are passionate about, so give yourself a pat on the back! Think of it as progress, and also you'll get fit and meet some more people!

Dan
Old 22nd August 2005, 05:55
kp85

Congrats Bazza!
I'm glad to hear that youre trying to take up something again that you enjoy but stopped because of your sa. It's unfortunate that sa stops us from doing certain things that we love or would at least love to try. I'm sure at least most of us here can relate to your story (including me). So the applause I'm giving is sincere! Not fake!

Good luck with reconditioning your body (know itll be painful lol).
-Jamie.
Old 23rd August 2005, 10:43

Well done Bazza.
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:19
Shallah

Good for you Bazza
Old 23rd August 2005, 14:23

Nice one Bazza. Remember- 5 portions of fruit and veg, and drink lots of water :D
Closed Thread