Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th December 2010, 23:03

Mood
Alienated

Default Captain Beefheart dies

Just read this in the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...t-died-aged-69

RIP Don

People throw the word "genuis" around a lot but I think The Captain deserved the epithet.

Any other fans here?
Old 17th December 2010, 23:09

Default Re: Captain Beefheart dies

Read this earlier, sad news indeed RIP
Old 17th December 2010, 23:10

I lived on Trout mask for months. I find it hard to listen to more conventional music now.

I'm hoping the people of the future will consider him one of the best artists of the 20th century.
Old 17th December 2010, 23:13

Old 17th December 2010, 23:30

Uff
Old 18th December 2010, 00:04

A real one-of-a-kind creative spirit. RIP.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:41

what a shit month - first my family dog and now beefheart. who's next, scott walker? david attenborough? santa?

people like beefheart don't die, they ascend.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:05

Mood
Sneaky

*salutes the captain*

i wondered what his beliefs about death were.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:46

Baw! He was fast and bulbous.
Old 19th December 2010, 00:43

forever misunderstood his first album safe as milk much more accessible and an absolute classic anyone into rhythm and blues or 60's music in general should have it, also the 1972 album 'clear spot' is a stone cold classic. as good as trout mask is i get sick of the music press only talking this one up... it is by no means a starting point for anyone really start at safe as milk then progress and fry your brain with abit of trout mask replica
Old 19th December 2010, 01:42

Mood
Sneaky

:,(
Old 19th December 2010, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielad
As good as trout mask is i get sick of the music press only talking this one up...
Thing is, excellent though some of his other albums are, none are as remarkable or unusual as Trout Mask Replica. On that album Frank Zappa as producer gave him completely free reign to experiment with sound and music as wildly as he wanted and the result is an album quite unlike any other. Yes, his other records may be less accessible, but that's exactly because they are more conventional and less revolutionary than TMR.

I agree that there is a lot more to Captain Beefheart's career than just Trout Mask Replica, but I do think it's quite right that it's hailed as his magnum opus.
Old 19th December 2010, 14:58

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelFendersson
Thing is, excellent though some of his other albums are, none are as remarkable or unusual as Trout Mask Replica. On that album Frank Zappa as producer gave him completely free reign to experiment with sound and music as wildly as he wanted and the result is an album quite unlike any other. Yes, his other records may be less accessible, but that's exactly because they are more conventional and less revolutionary than TMR.

I agree that there is a lot more to Captain Beefheart's career than just Trout Mask Replica, but I do think it's quite right that it's hailed as his magnum opus.
hey i read a bit about the making of trout mask from zappas perspective, apparently it was horrible

i think it was done in a house and zappa had the musicians in different rooms to isolate their sounds. beefheart thought zappa was doing this to trick him and somehow control the sessions himself. also apparently beefheart had this notion that he wanted the cymbals to have cardboard discs on top of them, which kind of completely ruins the sound

i like the sound on trout mask but i still like ice cream for crow way better. i love the lyrics and the overall "vision" created by the music on "crow", i just think it has so many standout tracks and amazing lyrical moments. for my money its more inventive than trout mask as well, which kind of sprawls a bit in teh "hippy jam" vein imo.

i kind of think that the media just get in a flap because zappa and beefheart collaborated on trout. i mean it IS a great album but i think the fixation on it is a bit weird, considering some of his other work is also wonderful.

anyway, always great to meet another fan axel
Closed Thread