SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd June 2021, 11:52

Mood
Alienated

Default ADHD in adults: what it’s like living with the condition – and why many still struggl

Quote:
Many of us think of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) as a childhood condition – which is typically when it’s diagnosed. But a growing number of people are sharing their experiences of being diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood. Social media has even played a role in this, with reports of people going to see their doctor after first learning about symptoms on TikTok. In fact, around 2.5% of adults are thought to live with ADHD – including us.
https://theconversation.com/adhd-in-...agnosed-162824
Old 17th September 2021, 11:36

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: ADHD in adults: what it’s like living with the condition – and why many still str

Thanks, will check this out.
Old 17th September 2021, 11:52

Default Re: ADHD in adults: what it’s like living with the condition – and why many still str

Thanks for sharing firemonkey. I only recently learned that ASD and ADHD are often linked.
I don't have an ADHD diagnosis but relate a lot to the symptoms, more so than a lot of 'typically' ASD symptoms. I think the more I learn about it the more it's helping me understand a lot of struggles I have.
Old 17th September 2021, 12:02

Mood
Lucky

Have you found anything that can help with the ADHD? It seems like medication is the only real option from the brief reading I've done.

I'm tempted to get some online and self medicate. Can't think what could go wrong with that?
Old 17th September 2021, 12:13

Mood
Sad

I was diagnosed with adhd as an adult. Then dianosed with aspergers 7 years later.
Old 17th September 2021, 20:57

I've never been diagnosed, but I'm sure I'm a sufferer. I can't concentrate on work or a game for more than 5 mins without a short break. I can't physically force myself to concentrate any longer than that. So with work I just work a bit, take a very short break, maybe get off the chair and wander about then sit down and carry on. Nothing has helped much. Having a cup of tea next to me so I can take tiny microbreaks from concentrating helps.
Old 20th September 2021, 10:24

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie79
I've never been diagnosed, but I'm sure I'm a sufferer. I can't concentrate on work or a game for more than 5 mins without a short break. I can't physically force myself to concentrate any longer than that. So with work I just work a bit, take a very short break, maybe get off the chair and wander about then sit down and carry on. Nothing has helped much. Having a cup of tea next to me so I can take tiny microbreaks from concentrating helps.
I can concentrate on certain things, but when it comes to work, I'm constantly getting up and doing other things so I never actually get enough work done.

I'm not sure if it is my concentration or that I don't enjoy the work so am looking for any way to avoid doing it...

Maybe I'm avoidant? I avoid people, and I avoid work. Is that even a thing?
Old 20th September 2021, 11:22

^ There's something called Avoidant Personality Disorder (APD) that gets mentioned fairly often here. So it is a thing. But I don't know anymore than that or what it is in particular people avoid who have the disorder?
Old 20th September 2021, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
Have you found anything that can help with the ADHD? It seems like medication is the only real option from the brief reading I've done.

I'm tempted to get some online and self medicate. Can't think what could go wrong with that?
I don't have a diagnosis so wouldn't look for treatment.
Understanding it is helpful though.
"You struggle to relax and unwind as your mind is on the go
You are a high achiever but then feel frustrated that you have not met your full potential
You struggle to move forward with your goals
Forgotten projects and unpaid bills just keep piling up
At social gatherings you feel overwhelmed and shy but can end up talking over people as you are nervous
Your mind drifts during conversations unless you’re the one talking or it’s a topic you find very interesting
Friendships can be a struggle because social rules seem complicated
Growing up, you had so much energy and liked to be busy- but later in life you are just exhausted and burning out
You often overspend to compensate for other problems. For example, you don’t have an outfit to wear for an office party so you buy a new one but don’t really have the money for this.
Shopping trips and stores overwhelm you, and you find it hard to make decisions about what to buy."

So reading about the symptoms like those above helps me understand why I really struggle to focus and finish things, which in itself just helps me not feel low about that but instead to start looking at what could help. It's useful for me because I don't really display typical asd symptoms but I do have all the adhd symptoms. So as an example from above, talking over people or talking a lot about things I know and not listening is something I identify with (also my mum has all these traits) and so recognising it helps me to internally say "shut up and listen "
Old 20th September 2021, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
What baffles me is the mentality that a condition magically disappears in adulthood.