SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th April 2022, 20:27

Mood
Cynical

Default The Autism Spectrum Quotient Test.

I know this link has been posted before but sometimes it gets lost in other threads, so I thought I'd start a seperate thread for it.

https://psychology-tools.com/test/au...ctrum-quotient
Old 26th April 2022, 22:20

Default Re: The Autism Spectrum Quotient Test.

I scored 20.
Old 26th April 2022, 22:26

Kind of expected it. I'm a purebred SAer.
Old 26th April 2022, 22:54

Quote:
Your score was 30 out of a possible 50.
Scores in the 26-32 range indicate some Autistic traits (Asperger's Syndrome).
Guess this is a little outdated in its use of terminology because it's ASD rather than Asperger's Sydrome.
Old 27th April 2022, 08:17

Quote:
Your score was 13 out of a possible 50.

Scores in the 0-25 range indicate few or no Autistic traits.
The questions were very similar to the ones I was asked at an actual assesment, where I was told they didn't think it would be the right diagnosis for me.
Old 27th April 2022, 09:19

It wouldn't surprise in the slightest if i was found to be asd.
Old 27th April 2022, 10:04

Mood
Cynical

^^^ Obviously yes as it was developed by old Prof Baron-Cohen who originally had the male brain theory of autism which held things back for a long time. It's just something that people can take if they're interested or have any suspicion that they might be on the autistic spectrum.
Old 27th April 2022, 11:05

I've met people with an ASD diagnosis who are not really shy at all. Lacking in social skills maybe, but not shy or introverted.
Old 27th April 2022, 12:54

@ Nanuq... Lol, could be an idea to make it tick boxes though, reduce that waiting time to be assessed! What is it now? 18 months or something?
Old 27th April 2022, 13:10
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

https://aspietests.org/
Old 27th April 2022, 14:00

Mood
Cynical

I scored 32 this time, I think I've scored 30 previously. So, some autistic traits (Asperger's Syndrome).
Old 27th April 2022, 14:01

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
Thanks firemonkey.
Old 27th April 2022, 16:41

Mood
Cynical

^ Like "would you prefer to go to a museum or a theatre?" ?
Old 27th April 2022, 17:05

Mood
Cynical

^ Well I do leave the house but I haven't been to a museum or a theatre in many many years! So not relevent to me either. It's not the best test, i do think it needs revising and updating. (You're not a freak, you're wonderfully individual )
Old 27th April 2022, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
^yes, and the questions are based very much on the old, male dominated stereotype rather than the complex nature of asd, like "do you like trains? numbers? libraries?"
Maybe there is a more up to date version of it?

I was excited to see those questions as I'm a fan of all three quizzes usually make me feel weird and are inapplicable e.g. "in your friendship group are you the .... one?" But those are silly quizzes like which type of pizza are you.
Old 27th April 2022, 19:19

I always thought these quizzes required imagining what your answer would probably be if you were in those situations that don't actually apply to your life. I know the Myers-Briggs personality test does anyway, but the choices in some of these questions make them difficult to answer even if you do those things. E.g. I can't choose whether I'd rather go to a library or a party because they're completely different things. If I wanted to borrow a book at 9am on a Tuesday morning I wouldn't go to a party, but that doesn't mean I dislike parties. I like both things and I would never be a position where I have to choose going to one over the other. It's like asking if you'd rather go to the doctor or a club. It depends if you want a diagnosis or a dance.
Old 27th April 2022, 21:39
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Your score was 41 out of a possible 50.

Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Autistic traits (Autism).

When assessed my social communication was at classical autism level and my social interaction at Asperger's level.
Old 28th April 2022, 18:43

https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism-test/

38/50 - autism likely

https://aspietests.org/aq/index.php (The Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ))

40/50, AQ-10 score 7.0

https://aspietests.org/fq/index.php (Friendship quotient)

Score = 70

https://aspietests.org/tfis/index.php (Two-Factor Imagination Scale (TFIS))

26.0 - Low spontaneous imagination

https://aspietests.org/sq/index.php (The Systemising Quotient (SQ))

Score = 73.0

https://aspietests.org/spq/index.php (The Sensory Perception Quotient)

Score = 51.0

https://aspietests.org/eq/index.php (The Empathy Quotient (EQ))

Score = 39.0

https://www.clinical-partners.co.uk/...26ohjumpi3voc2

Score = 23/30 (strong likelihood)

https://www.aspietests.org/raads/index.php (The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R))

Total score: 154 = above threshold value (plus all sub-scores above the threshold values)

Well, I've already received a professional diagnosis...
Old 30th April 2022, 14:43

Mood
Cynical

Empathy Quotient score: 36. (So I seem to be below the average scores for neurotypical people but above the average scores for people with ASD.)

I've always had reasonably good empathy I would say, I just have trouble knowing how to express it or what to do socially.

Sensory Perception Quotient score: 47.0
Old 30th April 2022, 15:11

Mood
Cynical

Autism Screening Quiz score: 21 out of 40. It may be a good idea to monitor your symptoms etc....
Old 30th April 2022, 16:01

The test tells you to 'monitor your symptoms and track the severity blah blah blah' even if you get 0 out of 40. I suspect the test is worthless.
Old 30th April 2022, 16:49

Mood
Cynical

It is an odd word to use, covid has symptoms! Autism has signs or traits usually.
Old 30th April 2022, 17:41
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

This will probably p*ss off any 'My ASD is a gift' types that may be here, but IMO it's a disability.,especially if you have comorbidites(in my case-schizoffective/schizophrenia(dxed),dyspraxia(not dxed, but the pdoc said I was 'quite dyspraxic',dysgraphia( not dxed, but probable.)

I'm 65. I've never had a paid job. I have no RL friends.My adaptive functioning is significantly < thanwould be expected based on my IQ. Hence I can do quite well on high range IQ tests,(avg person will get 10-15 % of questions right. I get 72% verbal, 52% numerical and 35% spatial right), but my (s) daughter is officially registered with social services as my carer.
Old 30th April 2022, 17:49

Mood
Cynical

^ Also I think because you were diagnosed so late you never had the help and accomodations or understanding that some people now have, so that compounds things. The truth is the world is not set up for neurodiverse people (or people with any kind of disability really) which means that it's much harder for people to function well, or sometimes even adequately.
Old 30th April 2022, 18:53
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^At the start of this century I sought more help and support, because I felt more was going on than just severe mental illness. They told me I couldn't have it. 7 or so years later I got my psych notes. A comment from the period I'd been turned down was 'His illness is Machiavellian in its complexity'

It took nearly 2 decades later ,and moving near my (s) daughter to get the dx. If I'd stayed in Essex I'd still be undiagnosed.

It's not uncommon for those of us diagnosed with SMI first to have been treated in a very disapproving, and less than supportive, way by the MHPs

In my case too much irreversible damage has been done.There's sod all chance of getting anywhere near fulfilling my potential. I just hope that others in my situation who are young, and those yet to come, get the help and support I never got till it was far too late to make a difference.
Old 1st May 2022, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
A comment from the period I'd been turned down was 'His illness is Machiavellian in its complexity'
Oh my word.

It's demons! Demons I tell you!
Old 5th May 2022, 09:49

Mood
Lucky

I scored high enough to be autistic but some of the questions are a bit hard to answer or my answers are influenced by SA, eg:

1. I prefer to do things with others rather than on my own.

I am happy to do stuff on my own but it really depends on the people and the activity. Some things I prefer to do with other people.

5. I often notice small sounds when others do not.

It think I do, but I don't generally ask people if they can hear things, so I wouldn't know.

7. Other people frequently tell me that what I’ve said is impolite, even though I think it is polite.

No because I make sure I try to be polite as much as possible. Is that because I'm aware that I'm often impolite (I assume this is an autistic trait as it's a question here) so am I masking my autism to try and be polite or am I just polite?

12. I tend to notice details that others do not.

I think so, but I rarely check with others to see if they have.

13. I would rather go to a library than to a party.

I don't particularly like libraries but would chose most things over a party! Is liking libraries autistic or is avoiding parties autistic?

The answers I gave to the social ones are the ones I was most sure of. If they can be explained by SA, then would that detract from my overall score in terms of autism?

I probably sound defensive, trying to justify why I'm not autistic, and I know people have said the test is flawed any way, but I thought some of the questions were a bit naff.
Old 5th May 2022, 11:50

Mood
Lucky

No but I get a rage that takes a lot to control when I hear certain sounds! But they are common ones like people eating or cutlery on a plate or someone breathing. I also have other sensory things, like certain touches that make me fizzle with suppressed rage and a bodily sensation one.

Right, I don't think I have that issue with saying something I think is neutral that gets taken badly. Although do people ever tell you you've said something "rude"? I couldn't imagine anyone ever calling me out on that so I'm not sure if I do that or not.

I often think I'm making a joke, being very sarcastic or "dry", and then people don't seem to realise and they then must think I'm being rude. But maybe that is just me being overly sensitive (SA) and thinking they think I'm rude, rather than them actually thinking I'm rude. Plus that is different, as making a joke isn't neutral, so even if I didn't get the outcome I expected, it still isn't the same as me making a neutral statement that is taken the "wrong" way, because making a joke always carries a risk of it falling on deaf ears, or whatever the saying is.

I did the test again, pretending I don't have SA, which is very hard as SA, or what I think of SA, is so ingrained in who I am. I think I got one less than before but I think I probably answered some questions differently and some the same, as I find it hard to separate SA from myself.

Your score was 34 out of a possible 50.

Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Autistic traits (Autism).

With this one, I put disagree:

27. I find it easy to “read between the lines” when someone is talking to me.

But I can't decide if that's because of my SA, where I'm thinking of what they're think of me, how the conversation is going, what I'm going so say next, how I'm going to get away, etc, at the same time as listening, so I can't "read between the lines" as I'm too busy thinking about SA induced stuff. Or can I not "read between the lines" because I'm autistic and can't do that either way, regardless of the SA interference.

It seems like to me, from my brief understating, that some of the social communication aspects of autism and some of the symptoms of SA seem to overlap quite a bit or are the same. Also, autism and anxiety are very linked too, so even if you have autism, you could have lots of the symptoms of anxiety too, so that makes it hard to pull them apart? Like the anxiety you feel when going to a party, is that from the autism or the SA?

Sometimes I wonder even if I have SA, as although I have lots of the symptoms, it feels more ingrained in me, and part of my personality, than other people speak of it. Maybe I'm just really shy with an avoidant personality?

38. I am good at social chitchat.

I think I'd be great at social chitchat if I didn't have SA. But would I really? So it's hard to pretend I don't have it and answer this one as I have no evidence to back it up. I mean, I can be good at social chit chat when my "SA" isn't triggered. But (some) autistic people can do social chitchat?

40. When I was young, I used to enjoy playing games involving pretending with other children.

I disagree but was it because I can't pretend (autism) or because I didn't like playing with other children (SA)?

I could go round in circles forever trying to work it out (and get nowhere). It's a shame there isn't a massive questionnaire, with like 1,000 questions, that tests for all "disorders" and then tells you at the end which ones you're closest too. Sort of like the personality tests that give you a INFJ rating, but it would be for mental health.

I guess the best option is to just start seeing a professional mental health person and then they will slowly unravel your issues and steer you in the right direction.

Part of me thinks it doesn't even matter, but part of me thinks it would be nice to get to the bottom of what's going on so you can start to understand yourself better and work on getting better on areas you want to be easier/better....

Most of the time I think I'm half way through my life so just ride it out until the end. And other times, I think there could be more to life than this...

Sorry for the essay!
Old 5th May 2022, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
In terms of being impolite, there's a distinction between having no filter and just saying stuff because maybe someone is arrogant (I'm thinking specifically about someone I know here...) as compared to someone who might have a filter because they feel less inclined to rub people up the wrong way. Both these are different from autism where it's not about saying things that you know are impolite, it's saying something that you feel is neutral and then being surprised that it upset someone and not really knowing why.
I knew a lad who I strongly suspect was on the spectrum who had a habit of bluntly asking me very personal questions and seemed completely unable to take the hint that it was making me feel very uncomfortable. He would also randomly give me rather blunt unsolicited life advice about things I'm very sensitive about and always seemed confused when I took offense. I think that is more the sort of thing that question is referring too.

He was someone who was obviously lacking in social skills but didn't come across as shy or anxious at all. I often found him quite overbearing to be honest as he would rabbit on and on for ages and didn't seem to know when to stop. At times he seemed to be completely lacking in inhibitions and self-awareness. In a way I envied him as I have the opposite problem to that as I'm painfully self-aware and and very conscious of my behaviour.
Old 5th May 2022, 13:25

Mood
Lucky

Yes, I'm the same at home. I can chat away without any problems. But with unfamiliar people, I clam up.

From reading/listening about Complex PTSD, they say that the ongoing trauma (which can be as "mild" as an overly critical parent) experienced during early years can make people with C-PTSD hyper-vigilant to potential threats for the rest of their life. I guess this could be social threats, such as meeting new people who could be "bad" people. When they perceive a "threat", they are unable to perform at their full capabilities because they are in their fight, flight, free, or fawn state, or some other bad place.

I guess for me, socially speaking, it comes down to how safe I feel in a situation. If I'm at home, chatting away with people I feel safe around, and then an outsider comes in, I go quiet. I think this is a defense mechanism to prevent me from saying something that will trigger a negative reaction from the outsider or have them silently think bad of me. It's more than a conscious decision to be quiet, though. It's like the energy I would usually devote to talking/interacting is suddenly automatically diverted to reading the room, trying to suss out the new person, etc. It's all automatic, going on in the unconscious part of the brain, and I don't have a choice in it. At least that's how it feels.

In a C-PTSD podcast I was listening to, they said this can be why preparation and training can be ineffective. You can practice with your therapist how you are going to be assertive with your boss, for example, or chat to a shop keeper. But when the time comes, the shutdown or loss of abilities prevent you from drawing on what you've practiced because you're now in a fight, flight, free, or fawn mode and can't access that bit of training. It's not like practicing how to tie your shoelaces, then when you need to put on your shoes, you can recall those practice sessions.

For me, over time, as I get more comfortable, I am more able to speak. Sometimes it can take a few minutes or hours, or sometimes months, and sometimes never. I also have a big issue with "breaking out of character" which is something separate, I think. So if I've been quiet for ages around someone or at a certain place, even once I feel comfortable, I find it hard to then not be the quiet guy as by doing so, people will think I've changed and acting out of character, or something mental like that!

It's all mental because there's no response I could trigger from someone that would justify me not talking. But for some reason it has such a massive hold over me.

I guess I should try and do some inner child work to go back and resolve those scenes from my childhood that created this type of thinking or something....

Yes, I can relate to the light bulb moment. When I first heard about SA, I bought a book on it and it had a checklist in that almost described me exactly. That's the only time I've had that sort of light bulb moment. Other stuff I've read since then.

Getting a diagnosis would probably help with school and stuff wouldn't it? Even just getting extra time in exams or having a "medical" reason when something goes wrong at school (not going homework, etc) would be worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise
I knew a lad who I strongly suspect was on the spectrum who had a habit of bluntly asking me very personal questions and seemed completely unable to take the hint that it was making me feel very uncomfortable. He would also randomly give me rather blunt unsolicited life advice about things I'm very sensitive about and always seemed confused when I took offense. I think that is more the sort of thing that question is referring too.

He was someone who was obviously lacking in social skills but didn't come across as shy or anxious at all. I often found him quite overbearing to be honest as he would rabbit on and on for ages and didn't seem to know when to stop. At times he seemed to be completely lacking in inhibitions and self-awareness. In a way I envied him as I have the opposite problem to that as I'm painfully self-aware and and very conscious of my behaviour.
I think there is a difference between impolite and rude, but I'm not sure exactly how to explain it. The question doesn't mention rude so I think it's different to saying something "rude", like maybe being curt or short rather than saying anything rude like "that dress doesn't suit you".

Who knows though. I wonder if the text books/training medical professional get is as shit as these questions. The questions must've come from somewhere? It would explain a lot....