SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th March 2023, 21:34

Default Anyone here studied/studying later on in life? Or planning to?

Either to update your current skills or to gain qualifications for an entirely new career?

How did it go? What did you do? And how did you find balancing studying with your regular job/general life at an older age?
Old 16th March 2023, 21:37

Default Re: Anyone here studied/studying later on in life? Or planning to?

I'm currently stepping back into education and I imagine balancing studying with work and being a dad will be a giant challenge.
Old 16th March 2023, 21:38

I did an accounting qualification for a new career but it did not go well as employers wanted experience. I should have done apprenticeship first and foremost.

A classroom I found hard, so many people, so much chat going on. I balanced it with a job at the time which was fortunate to have a p/t job that I could do that.
It 'stretched' my brain which clearly I hadn't done for a while.

By the way the classroom was like 80% women in their late 30s/early 40s.
Old 16th March 2023, 21:58

Yep - I love learning new skills and information, but in person rather than online and in social isolation.

I found the online learning aspect of distance learning quite difficult in terms of trying to concentrate and engage with it because it was so much reading. I prefer someone lecturing and having discussion groups like it was at uni. Having people around me helps me to learn. I don't like the isolated aspect of sitting at home and reading. Whereas in a room of other people you can chat and get on with things at the same time and collaborate.

The good thing is the flexibility. You can ask for deadline extensions and people are generally more understanding as they know people have responsibilities that an 18 year old typically doesn't! You also learn ways to make it work and fit it in.

It's exciting to start something new with studying and the new doors it can open. A new and worthwhile experience.

What are you going to be studying?
Old 16th March 2023, 23:00

Mood
Tired

I've tried a couple of night school courses, which I really enjoyed, but it wasn't to change jobs or for improved employment potential, it was just for my own personal interests

I've looked into it again as I really like learning new things and getting all academic again,
But it's quite expensive now, even prohibitively so.

I think I was just too full of anxiety at school to actually learn anything or much less, enjoy the process of learning anything,
Now, at a much later stage, I can actually enjoy getting my teeth into things,
I've always been pleasantly surprised that I actually have an aptitude for academic things that I never knew I had before as school was just such a dreadful experience.

I've came across learning shortfalls in my role at work and I've really enjoyed exploring a new subject or technicality and getting my head around it in my own terms,
I've actually bought my own study books and spent ages online in my own time just to learn something that helps me in my job,
I've asked my "boss" for training at every one of my appraisals and he's never done anything about it.
So, I ended up just learning stuff in my own time.
Old 17th March 2023, 00:42

No way, although I did not get proper education at all.
Old 17th March 2023, 01:35

No. Nope. No. I'd like to be one of these people someday but right now my mind is ****ed and i'm really struggling.
Old 17th March 2023, 13:44

I can't do it now because my head is a mess. Also, my executive function issues have caused me to be a bit scarred from past experience. I certainly wouldn't take on a lot of debt because I can't be sure I'll be able to cope. It's frustrating, because usually I'm all about learning stuff and I definitely approve in theory! I would like to once I can get my head straight and find some direction but who knows when that will be. I couldnt cope with both kids and a job personally, but many do, and yes, tutors are more understanding that adults tend to have more responsibilities that the typical 18 year old so they are usually more flexible.
Old 17th March 2023, 14:58

Yes, I trained to go into IT. I got the quals but I was unsuited to the type of work I was doing. I've also done numerous other courses since my student days.
Old 17th March 2023, 21:15

Mood
Breezy

I'm planning on studying psychology and counseling at Solent
Old 18th March 2023, 10:57

Well into my career, I did a distance learning masters course in a technical subject as a way to change career. I very much regret doing it, I went back to my old career, and while every case is different, I would instead suggest actually talking to people in the relevant field (not always easy with SA, certainly) and reading some relevant books. Degree courses are mostly very expensive crutches for people straight out of school to ease them into jobs. Studying at uni is not so very different from the jobs that follow it, with a huge difference being that you're paying the institution for the privilege of doing the work. I did also sit a couple of other degree-level exam-only qualifications, I find those work well for me and they are usually cheap.
Old 18th March 2023, 11:24

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
I'm planning on studying psychology and counseling at Solent
That's great Percy
Old 19th March 2023, 19:46

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
That sounds really interesting, Percy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
That's great Percy
Thank you girls
Old 20th March 2023, 10:07

Nope not a chance tried that in my 30s hated it, ive now got a house, car etc so have no interest in furthering my career. all I'm studying for now is retirement which can't come soon enough.

Currently quietly quitting, fortunately I work for a local council so I'd have to be dead at work with rigamortis for any one to even notice I was doing less work than my colleagues.
Old 9th April 2023, 00:04

Mood
Tired

I studied at the open University for 6 years and recently gained a 2:1 honours in education studies at the age of 39
Old 9th April 2023, 12:21

Mood
Breezy

Well done Gellerbing
Old 14th September 2023, 14:07

Oh man, first day of (adult)college yesterday, first time I'm stepping back into education since leaving uni. I did not expect it to be such a SA minefield, I wasn't expecting that at all. My rationale going into it was - I've worked in large teams before and I was fine, this should be no different. It was completely different.

To add to it, there's two things - 1) I was the only new student there, the entire class did their level 2 together last year at the same college, whereas my level 2 was online distant learning with a different college. So everyone already knows each other. And 2) I'm the only male in the class. I don't know why this adds to the SA and pressure, but being the only male in a class full of 20 females really makes a difference.

All my self-consciousness and insecure thoughts from my days in college/uni came flooding back.

Though, I feel like as I've aged, I'm more than equipped to deal with it, and have no doubts it will all be ok.

But I've got to check myself before i wreck myself. Going to have to mentally prepare myself and remind myself that none of this sh*t really matters, and that we're all just evolved monkeys on a floating rock in space.

It's going to be a tough 10 months.
Old 14th September 2023, 16:06

^ nice one. Sure it'll get easier as you settle in.

Only male in the class? How terrible for you.
Old 14th September 2023, 17:57

^^
That's great news, Jam! And like you said, you are more than equipped to deal with this! As for being the only male on the course. I'm having to stifle a sniffle on your behalf. I hope it goes well for you!
Old 14th September 2023, 18:13

Nice one for starting, jam!

I did some studies recently and remembered how much I struggle to concentrate/read academically. I still haven't downloaded my certificate - keep forgetting (since May - whoops).
Old 15th September 2023, 01:46

What are we calling "later in life"?
Old 15th September 2023, 09:13

Hi Jam,
Well done for starting the course. I am very later in life and have foolishly enrolled on an MA I already panicked enough that I tried to swap to a fully online course but there wasn't anything suitable.
I completely understand the issue with being the only guy, as I'll (most likely) be the only middle aged person and when you have SA the last thing you want is something that immediately singles you out. I find it hard enough in groups where I at least don't visually stand out in any particular way.

Hope it gets easier as it becomes familiar to you
Old 15th September 2023, 11:54

Just to clarify, Jam, I was also going to mention what Merry had said about being the only male on the course. The problem was Appear had responded with a solid joke! And I too felt compelled to respond with a solid joke. We were both trying to give you a solid is what I'm trying to say! So I think we all know who is to blame for this! That member of course is Genovese! God bless him! No matter what the situation, he helps to get you out of a solid!
Old 15th September 2023, 15:43

^ it wasn't that solid and I did feel a bit bad because it sounded like I was being dismissive some of Jam's concerns. But Jam knows me, so knows I absolutely intended that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
Jam is 50 plus, so I guess that's what he means?

@biscuits - where has that year gone??? Well done for getting through it on top of everything else!
Old 15th September 2023, 16:19

Yeah, I'm going to study this year. Balancing work, lifestyle and studies is going to be the main challenge. I hope I don't drop out.
Old 15th September 2023, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
^ it wasn't that solid and I did feel a bit bad because it sounded like I was being dismissive some of Jam's concerns. But Jam knows me, so knows I absolutely intended that.
Absolutely, Appear. I would have added that as well, but I got sidetracked with the solid part.
Old 16th September 2023, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear

@biscuits - where has that year gone??? Well done for getting through it on top of everything else!
Aww thanks, Appear!

Just putting it out there - I do not recommend studying and working full time glad to have my weekends back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
I guess sort of after people would traditionally continue into further education, not immediately after leaving school, maybe after 25?
Old 16th September 2023, 20:34

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

And well done to all those who are stepping back (or already have) into education later in life.

@Appear and Chess- of course I don't mind being surrounded by woman, I'm secretly loving it.

Don't worry, Chess, you're all good, I get ya. I know you enough to know that you only have either good or quality rubber chicken intentions.

But good point, Merry, it's the fact that I instantly stick out from the rest that makes me uncomfortable. But again, shouldn't be a problem.

@Biscuit- Wow, big congratulations to you. But download your certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
When you've reached a stage in life where you get slightly annoyed at how bank holidays mess up the refuse collection schedule.