SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st January 2022, 22:59

Default Re: The Autism and Asperger's Thread

Some inspirational content

Old 2nd January 2022, 15:41

I have a friend who has aspergers and one who suspects they are borderline aspergers. I think that calling a person on the spectrum as "mind blind" in social settings, is not a true accurate description. A person with aspergers can connect and feel and experience everything that everyone else can so to say they cannot read people at all is unfair.
I think that many people who are on this very wide spectrum would agree that they feel they are "wired differently." That is how they were born. Having bipolar makes my brain different to a "neurotypical" person but I am not classed as "neurodiverse. " I have a "disorder" or "condition." Using the correct words and terminology makes a mountain of difference.
Old 2nd January 2022, 15:52

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
Yes when i was boxing i stood up to several bullies
You did boxing?!
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideysenses
I have a friend who has aspergers and one who suspects they are borderline aspergers. I think that calling a person on the spectrum as "mind blind" in social settings, is not a true accurate description. A person with aspergers can connect and feel and experience everything that everyone else can so to say they cannot read people at all is unfair.
I think that many people who are on this very wide spectrum would agree that they feel they are "wired differently." That is how they were born. Having bipolar makes my brain different to a "neurotypical" person but I am not classed as "neurodiverse. " I have a "disorder" or "condition." Using the correct words and terminology makes a mountain of difference.
That's true, I can read people but feel less aware of what to do in most situations where I am not familiar with the person. i think this results in me being the nice guy, as that doesn't warrant the harshest of criticisms, and anxiety.
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:39

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
You did boxing?!
Certainly did
Old 3rd January 2022, 00:04

Yes, I can read people, I just don't know what to do with the information!
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:12

I actually wouldn't be surprised if autism runs in my family. I think my schizophrenic mum may be autistic.

Was speaking to a younger cousin in Nigeria who said two family member of every generation in our family have mental illness. Idk if that's true. I know an uncle I have never spoke too may have a mental illness.

But maybe it's something like autism but because of lack of awareness and treatment it gets much worse. I notice when my granny came and cousin who is a year older than me, their answer to social problems is to act normal. But you don't have to really think of acting normal if you are neurotypical?

Also idk my extended family that much but sense a culture of keeping up appearances and maybe even some manipulation.
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:25

Mood
Cynical

^ There can be a strong genetic link with both autism and serious mental illness, so it's very possible.
Old 6th January 2022, 16:17

Mood
Cynical

^ That kind of hand shaking/flapping is known as stimming and is one very common thing that autistic people do yes.

Some other common stims are jumping up and down, spinning in circles, nodding your head, wiggling fingers and toes, or fiddling with objects like a pen or a piece of fabric that you like the texture of.
Old 6th January 2022, 18:49

Apparently everyone stims, I think maybe autistic people are just more obvious. But then even certain kinds of music seem like an audio representation of stimming to me.
Old 16th January 2022, 16:27

Can anyone advise what may be the consequences if one were to admit to risks like alcohol or substance use during their Autism assessments? What the medical establishment may see as a "duty of care" could be seen as heavy handed and unwanted interference or coercion by someone with a different view.
Old 16th January 2022, 16:38

Mood
Cynical

^ Personally I don't think that if you are over 18 that they would have any duty of care towards you regarding an addiction. They may ask if you want to be referred for seperate help for that or recommend sources for you to look at, but they wouldn't be able to push that onto you. But also you would be under no obligation to disclose that information during an autism assessment, I don't think, unless you wanted to.

I think I have read that alcoholism among undiagnosed autistic people is actually relatively high, because people are trying to self medicate their anxiety and difficulties with social interactions.
Old 16th January 2022, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella

I think I have read that alcoholism among undiagnosed autistic people is actually relatively high, because people are trying to self medicate their anxiety and difficulties with social interactions.
Yes, I've read this too.
Old 16th January 2022, 16:56

Thanks Dougella.

I think it's a kind of a key factor in my whole diagnosis, otherwise I would definitely just completely leave it out.

The fact that I feel that I need these thing to hep me mask successfully, is just too big a factor to leave out. If I was to leave this out I would struggle to convey how significantly impacted by Autism that I feel that I am.

I think I will be very cagey about what I admit to, depending on confidentiality etc, and just kind of heavily drop hints and see what they say.

I don't have an addiction btw, these things are most definitely a solution, and not a problem for me.
Old 16th January 2022, 17:49

Mood
Cynical

^ Ah, perhaps you could disclose the use of certain substances that help you mask, as you say, but not talk about how much or how often unless you feel comfortable at the time.
Old 16th January 2022, 19:53

Mood
Alienated

Do any of you use a weighted blanket? My s/dau bought me one for my birthday.. Did it help you sleep better? If yes how long did it take to do so?
Old 16th January 2022, 20:13

I really want to try one but they're really pricey! I plan to get one at some point.