SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 9th February 2021, 09:19

Default How are you feeling physically?

It's been about a year since I caught covid. I know I started with the persistent cough in February and then it escalated and I got all the other nasty symptoms in early March. I even remember writing here I had a cough that wouldn't go, but I didn't think covid was so wide spread as it was, because on the news there were only a handful of confirmed cases, so at the time I had no idea what was to come.
It's been the absolute worst year of my life, having the embolism and feeling like I was dying, but getting ignored by my GP caused so much distress, I think I have a bit of ptsd, along with the ongoing physical problems.
I have written a lot about it here when I didn't know where to offload my feelings, but I do realise it might not be relevant to others and also that some people might have health anxiety and not want to read about real illness.
So rather than write in the 'how are you feeling' thread, I thought I would start one more specific to physical health and it's impact. I didn't realise until this last year how much poor physical health affects mental health. Hope that's ok.
Old 9th February 2021, 10:36

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: How are you feeling physically?

I have pain in my neck and head most days.

It's pretty shitty as it makes me feel a bit more miserable than I would otherwise.

I've always had it in some form so not sure how it's affected my general personality as it's always there, slowly grinding me down!

I find this website about physical pain quite interesting: https://www.painscience.com/
Old 9th February 2021, 11:37

I said In an earlier post how much I'm enjoying running , and how its taking discipline not to overdo it and injure myself..... well I completely ignored my own advice and neglected to take any rest days and even went out twice on a couple of occasions. A few days ago I woke up and my knee was pretty sore, logically I knew that I should have rested it, but instead I listened to the stupid part of my brain that said " Just go slowly and favour your other leg more". So now my left knee is completely out of action and my right knee has also started aching a bit which has now resulted with me being unable to work, exercise or little else than to shuffle around my flat on my bum.
Old 9th February 2021, 11:38

My little finger hurts and is swollen from the surgery
I have to exercise it to get back movement, but the exercises hurt more
Other than that, well, I exist.
Old 9th February 2021, 14:57

Mood
Alienated

I have this crap with my heart which isnt actually "pain" its just a constant annoyance/distraction/stops me sleeping (its thumping away for no real reason like I'm being kicked in the back 24/7)

My Necks been hurting on and off for a year, up into my chin/jaw (I hope Ive not got a tooth problem - I avoid dentists like the plague) and I have a sore throat on and off which might be related to allergies/something in the air.

I'm dealing with numerous chest twinges and my IBS is giving me grief (I think this is just stress/anxiety about the heart thing)

Rest of me aint bad for once. My joints are better than usual! I'm tired but that could be the beta blockers which aint really helping my heart anyway

(I sound about 75, I'm in my 30's)
Old 9th February 2021, 16:32

Mood
Tired

my legs seem to be aching most of the time now, but I'm hoping that exercise will help the blood flow,.
whenever I manage to get blood into my legs more, the aching subsides,.
so, probably poor circulation?

I do have a strange thing affecting me for a while now, but presume it's linked to high blood pressure,
light-headed,. sometimes making me lose balance, plus nearly passing out whenever I stand up quickly or stretch my chest out.

I only really feel "myself" when I've had a few painkillers, but I do cherish those moments. lol

I sound worse than I am probably.
Old 9th February 2021, 17:03

Not ice packs as such... Nanuq.. but a pack of frozen spinach is more or less the same thing right? My friend has just dropped round a care package including some painkillers and a tube of something called Piroxicam , never heard of it, but he's pretty banged up so if they give to him, it should be the good shit.
Old 10th February 2021, 11:09

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vado
I said In an earlier post how much I'm enjoying running , and how its taking discipline not to overdo it and injure myself..... well I completely ignored my own advice and neglected to take any rest days and even went out twice on a couple of occasions.
I know that one!

I hurt my ankle in September running and its only just getting better now.

Lockdown has helped as I haven't been walking much so it's had time to recover between runs.
Old 10th February 2021, 13:32

^
I dont think I can handle being out for months, It feels a little better today, but it may just be the painkillers doing their job, hopefully I can do some cycling soon as it doesn't put any weight on them, but I am missing my morning runs
Old 11th February 2021, 09:50

Mood
Lucky

Had a good night's sleep so feeling pretty chipper and pain free this morning.
Old 11th February 2021, 10:31

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
That sounds more like low blood pressure? But maybe you get it with either?
Do you do hamstring stretches? We get really tight hamstrings just from using furniture... I like to get one of my kids to shove my leg backwards towards my head I can't seem to stretch them out myself, but I feel better for it
thanks,.. yes, I probably do really need to be doing stretches on a daily basis,
I've always liked the idea of doing Pilates or Yoga at home,.. which is similar to stretches I'd imagine?

I think I just lack motivation just now,.. although one look in the mirror and I know I really need to change!
Old 11th February 2021, 11:02

Mood
Lucky

I like Yoga with Adriene but found I wasn't doing it much as it's too long (only 30 mins but I'm lazy).

I've been doing these Yoga with Bird ones instead lately as they are only 10 mins and pretty chilled as they seem to be mainly stuff on the ground, rather than standing moves.

This is a good one for hips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVF1qd_7uts

This is the morning series playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2gIZZigtKQlo9I

There's less chat as well so it feels more time efficient
Old 11th February 2021, 13:05

Mood
Cynical

^ I had the camera thing done, it didn't show up anything but the sedative they give you was great

I hope the medicine helps and you start to feel better.
Old 11th February 2021, 18:31

Quote:
^ don't exacerbate it!! Otherwise it's just going to keep happening
Hmmffffff stupid bloody knee, can't even walk downstairs to the bike shed anyway.
I'm starting to realise this isn't just going to go away after a few days and being confined to my sofa is a pretty flipping shiz.
Old 12th February 2021, 04:48

Sorry to read you've suffered so badly over the past year because of bloody COVID, Nanuq. It sounds like an awful illness and it can linger for a long time. I hope you get all the care you need to get back to optimal condition again. My sister and bro-in-law have "long COVID" and he even caught the illness twice. Even worse, my uncle has been at death's door because of the virus.

In the light of the above I feel guilty for mentioning my own ailments. But anyway, since everyone else has. Constant low-level bodily pain since age 17 that has responded to nothing. Stomach problems since birth. More recently bouts of bladder problems. Since I began my new job (nightshifts) I'm constantly exhausted too, with bad eyes to boot. I get treatment for chronic back problems. But I'm approaching middle age. Things could be worse.
Old 12th February 2021, 23:08

My knee Is so much worse in the evenings, its kind of ok when I wake up, and I am resting it, but I'm able to do things like make a simple meal or use the bathroom e.t.c. but by this time at night I'm literally having to push myself to the toilet whilst sat on a cushion and using my arms I'm actually getting a little concerned I might have done something serious
Old 13th February 2021, 00:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Lower back pain after walking short distances. Invariably wake up feeling like I've been kicked in the small of the back Some hip pain. On and off sore sole of right foot. Have been told it's due to putting excess pressure on the right foot.
Old 16th February 2021, 22:39

^How long ago did you get it? I know a couple of people who had theirs recently , both felt pretty rough the next day, but it only lasted for 24 hours.

Still can't walk on my stupid knee , I've got the physio calling me tomorrow , I hope that there are at least some kind of exercise's I can do to help myself heal because I'm dying to get back to work.
Old 18th February 2021, 17:18

^^ Sorry you're feeling poor Nanuq, and hope things very soon get much better for you.

I've just been invited to book a vaccine jab and I'm really surprised by this, I thought they were still doing the elderly (65+)
Old 18th February 2021, 17:32

Mood
Breezy

I had some mild symptoms after my jab, a bit of a headache and a general feeling of groggyness.
Old 20th February 2021, 17:36

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Are you feeling better today, Percy?
I'm fine, thanks for asking.
Old 21st February 2021, 11:35

I've always felt very lucky to enjoy the physical health that I do (although, given that I'm unable to find a GP where I live, it's just as well); it does make me feel sad to read about others with ongoing, long-term conditions which limit the quality of their lives. The only life-affecting issue I have is that I have mystery pains in my torso (which I believe result from trapped wind and constipation) which can leave me doubled up in pain and unable to walk easily - these can be infrequent but unpredictable and of late they seem to have increased in frequency (they're currently happening most days) but decreased in severity. Other than that, I had to quit running after tearing both hamstrings about half-a-dozen years ago (I can get a twinge even running for a bus) and I do have an inguinal hernia, although that doesn't affect me greatly.

Overall, everything is fine and other people approaching 60 seem to have many more aches, pains and ailments so I have no complaints.
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:04

^ Hi NLH, thanks for the welcome. No, I haven't been travelling - I was in Tier 4 prior to the reintroduction of lockdown, so have been banned from travelling since the end of last year (when I had two trips cancelled because of restrictions in other countries). I've been reunited with my partner and busy with re-adjusting to life as a couple.

We (my partner and I) have been discussing trips which might happen post-lockdown, but have taken the view that it's impossible to make plans whilst everything remains so uncertain, so 2021 is basically a write-off from our point of view and if anything becomes possible, we'll see that as a bonus! I don't think that I would be booking anything as an anxious newbie (certainly not foreign travel, where roll-out of the vaccine is, except in a couple of cases, behind that of the UK and where restrictions might still be applied after they are eased here) until the situation becomes clearer.

I have seen headlines about "vaccination passports" (although I haven't read the reports in detail) and I do think that these are a good idea, in theory; of course, this depends on whether they are accepted by the immigration departments in other countries and the situation within those countries. It seems that it has also been mooted that proof of vaccination might be needed within the UK to book accommodation or access restaurants and bars, which prima facie seems a good idea, but would exclude those who can't have the vaccine on medical grounds, so it would really depend on the details of such a scheme as to whether it was fair or not.
Old 21st March 2021, 14:55

I had my vaccine around 7:30 yesterday evening and felt absolutely fine (not even a sore arm) but have suddenly started to feel awful. I don't know if it's my usual awful or whether it's a response to the vaccine. My head feels weirdly achey and my eyes more blurry than usual. Or maybe the symptoms are stress related? I just filled out the online Census and pondering over questions regarding my educational and employment (un)achievements and my health always stirs up such anxious and depressing thoughts. Or perhaps the head ache is due to my tooth infection? This is the second lot of antibiotics I've had and the tooth is still painful. The Dentist thinks the pain is coming from a possible perforated tooth that I once had tooth canal surgery on. She's referred me to a dental hospital for an extraction but the waiting list is long. In the meantime, I've googled that an infection from a tooth can move up into the brain. Maybe this is the reason why my head hurts? 🤔
Old 21st March 2021, 15:06

Mood
Cynical

^^ Sounds like it could be a combination of all those things! A headache is a pretty common side effect of the vaccine I think but by the sounds of it your tooth must probably be causing you pain too. Hope you feel much better in a day or two.
Old 21st March 2021, 15:32

^/^^ Thank you

I've developed a bit of an upset tummy too (sorry, tmi) and my temperature is 37.9 which is slightly higher than normal for me. I'm thinking my general feeling of yuckiness may be due to the vaccine for it to have come on so suddenly. Anyway, I've taken some Paracetamol, just incase. I'm guessing it's a good thing to be feeling off colour because it shows that my immune system has still got a bit of oomph? I wish I could say the same about the rest of me

I really really shouldn't have found this thread because I'll be on it every day
Old 21st March 2021, 23:12

^ It might be worth calling 111, they will ask you questions and they may reassure you and put your mind at rest.
Old 21st March 2021, 23:30

^^ yes, having a slightly raised temp is a good sign that your antibodies are doing their thang. Most people seem to feel better after two days. Hope that’s the case for you too, also make sure you drink some water and rest up.

Same! I feel bad because I didn’t know this thread existed. I’d been spreading my pains all over the place. Now I know where it should go.
Old 22nd March 2021, 01:00

^/^^ Thank you

@ Newbs - I've taken some more Paracetamol and am feeling okay ish now but it's a good idea to phone 111 for anyone who needs a bit of reassurance and advice.

@ Biscuits - Yes I'm drinking plenty and resting up thank you Nurse Biscuits

Lol, don't feel bad about posting about your pains elsewhere. I command you to post ALL over SAUK! It's just lovely to have you back x
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:38

Mood
Pensive

I have arthritis, heart disease, angina and 3 slipped discs which give me sciatica. I am in pain pretty much all the time and have to be careful standing up or climbing stairs, everything goes black and I have to sit down or I fall over then my limbs randomly twitch, it's a weird feeling but only lasts for a few seconds. Apart from that I'm perfectly fine

I'm just glad I'm not a horse or they would have shot me years ago