SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th May 2021, 09:12

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: How are you feeling physically?

Sorry to hear that. It sounds terrible, both the illness and the treatment options/costs.
Old 18th May 2021, 09:54

Mood
Cynical

^^ Could you maybe give a copy of these results (if he's putting it in writing) to your GP and they could refer you for the lung function tests, cardiology etc, they might be able to mark it as urgent or something. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Old 18th May 2021, 11:44

Mood
Cynical

^ It's such a shame, just when people are needing the NHS the most it's been broken down so badly that they can't give people the help they need I know it is different in different places, some people might get lucky if they live in a place where waiting lists aren't so long. But it shouldn't be a postcode lottery either.
Old 18th May 2021, 13:14

Mood
Lucky

Is it still even true that if you are ill and the tests show something very tangible that you'll get treated quickly and well? I know people always say that, but you still hear of this not being the case (anymore).
Old 18th May 2021, 13:19

Mood
Cynical

^ I think it very much depends what it is. I know a few people who have had serious health incidents recently and have received treatment straight away.
Old 18th May 2021, 15:44

@ Nanuq I'm so sorry that the Consultant has confirmed, (what you obviously already knew) that your current extremely poor health is very definitely due to catching the virus 14 months ago. I can only imagine the frustration you must feel at not being able to have access to the treatments that might be able to help you because of an NHS that was on its knees even before the Pandemic. You may strike lucky (if that's the right word!) and receive the help that you need quicker than you think. Don't give up hope x

When the Phlebotomist did my blood test at the Hospital last week she said phone your GP on Tuesday as the results will be back then. Yeah right!

Of course they aren't flaming back, and I've been told to phone in a day...or...two..

If they lose this second blood test I'm going to lose the will to live. The GP mentioned that theres's nothing in her notes about me since last year. Everyone says things are extra slow because of Covid but a Doctor I told this to shook his head and said this wouldn't be why I wasn't getting my blood test results.

Last night I didn't sleep again because of the leg pain. I'm also now suffering with pins and needles and some numbness in my feet. A wheelchair arrived today for my mum who has cancer. At this rate I'll need one myself.

Like you Nanuq, If I could afford to go Private again I would. But I can't.

Sorry for the vent
Old 18th May 2021, 16:54

Mood
Cynical

^^ Hopefully the hospital will have the results of your blood tests if your GPs surgery for some reason doesn't have them, yet again......that would be how a sensible system would work, right. I really hope they have some result for you in the next day or two though!
Old 18th May 2021, 18:32

Mood
Alienated

Can I chime in with NHS struggles

It's still up in the air why I've had the wrong bleeding scan, my doctor was meant to contact me in "about a week"..hmm its been 11 days now and nutin..I missed a private call earlier, no voicemail..maybe maybe? I tried to ring my doctors and just got a ..our full system is down unless its an emergency try later.

On reflection I'm wondering if it was a call for my first jab, I suppose I Am of that age group now!

@ Nanuq - I'm sure its not the best of news but at least your getting some sort of answer now, its a shame it takes money to get to that point

I'm really not sure if they can blame covid anymore. I mean whatever scan I had (right or wrong) it wasnt marked as a priority but it was reported and sent back to the cardiologist after 5 weeks, which although felt like a sodding life time - probably isn't that bad to have a non urgent CT Scan report (although by the sound of it ..the report is basically, heart present..check, 2 lungs present..check - they don't seem to have investigated any further)

@Consolida - I hope you get your blood results soon! I was freaking out when mine took 2 days longer than they claimed! Now I'm wondering if I've actually had any tests maybe they just took some blood, waited a week and sent me a text saying no further action needed.
Old 19th May 2021, 20:41

Mood
Alienated

^ I actually got "the phone call" today, he caught me off guard, I was about to leave work.

Apparently the cardiologist had a discussion/meeting with some other....people? (cardiologists/strangers off the street? I don't know) and they came to the conclusion with my symptoms and queue times..it would be all round better if I had a CT scan with contrast..not an MRI. Only no one told me this bit

The cardiologist was given a nudge about..if the CT scan was actually ok (because the report was crap) and did I actually need the MRI, he came back with a no. so both me and my doctor have...assumed if there was any problems, I would have been informed. He doesn't seem the best at giving out info! I think I'm suppose to take it as a good thing

Now I'm going to try propranolol instead of bisoprolol - I'm not convinced this is anxiety..but I'll give it a go I guess! (I'm sure I had this years ago and I didn't have a good time with them..and these will be a stronger dose)
Old 20th May 2021, 03:04

^ Hmm, it's kind of good that your Doctor finally got back to you, Toxic, but it sounds like you are still none the wiser when it comes to what was/is causing your symptoms?

Seeking medical advice is, at the very least, meant to help put our minds at rest and leave us feeling that we are in safe hands but it's NOT like that any more. A lack of communication and sharing of information between the various medics and their departments and sometimes downright incompetency means that we are left in limbo for weeks on end not knowing what the hell is going on. It creates a tonne of stress on top of the worry we already have regarding our poor physical health.

I hope the propranolol does help you but if it doesn't at least that's another thing that can be ticked off the list. I does make me furious that Doctors are so keen to fob everything off as anxiety related. I feel like hollering 'People with mental health issues can get physical illnesses too you know!'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
@Consolida - I hope you get your blood results soon! I was freaking out when mine took 2 days longer than they claimed! Now I'm wondering if I've actually had any tests maybe they just took some blood, waited a week and sent me a text saying no further action needed.

That made me smile. You may jest, Toxic, but call me mega paranoid, the idea of them taking my blood, waiting a week, or two, or three... without bothering to actually test it, and then contacting me with the usual words 'Your results were satisfactory' has certainly crossed my mind. You see, after they lost my first blood test results, and due to endless blunders at my Surgery, I have lost ALL faith in NHS health care

Anyway...

An update: I phoned the Surgery yet again (Wednesday) and was told that the blood test results weren't yet back (no kidding!) and that I wasn't to phone until next week. The receptionist (I assume that's who she was) was about to end the call when she heard myself and my husband (I was on speakerphone) grumbling. So she appears to experience a sudden light bulb moment and disappears for several minutes. Then she returns with the words I never thought I'd hear, 'Yes, your results are back but the Doctor won't be looking at them until tomorrow'.

I'm guessing I'll have to phone again tomorrow only to be told, no doubt, that the ruddy tests are fine and I'm no nearer to knowing what is causing the pains in my legs

You couldn't make it up.
Old 20th May 2021, 09:25

Mood
Cynical

^ Well, that's something, atleast they're claiming the results are there!
Old 20th May 2021, 15:10

^ Not heard anything yet. Tried phoning the Doctor today but the line is permanently engaged
Old 20th May 2021, 19:50

Mood
Alienated

^ That ones always a bugger

Yes your report/results are here...what you actually wanted to know the outcome?! Oh I don't know about that..try again later.

That one really nobbed me off with my CT scan, I heard nothing for 6+ weeks and when I finally found someone who even acknowledged I'd had a scan, oh yeah your reports been here for 2 weeks..it's not been looked at yet..I'll see if he can look at it soon and get back to you...oh..great

It's fairly obvious but I always had slightly better luck getting through if your ringing as soon as they open, or before! I know if I try after 9 I've got no bloody chance all day
Old 21st May 2021, 13:53

^ I hope they've got back to you since you posted this morning, Nanuq!
You expect better when you've paid money don't you, but as I've found to my cost, it's not always the case.

Still no word about my blood results although they're apparently at the Surgery and the GP was apparently going to look at them yesterday. I shall try phoning again, if I can actually get a line that isn't engaged. No doubt they will blame something on the weather (it's blowing a gale) as they've come up with every other excuse
Old 21st May 2021, 13:58

Mood
Cynical

^ Make sure your husband is in the background again grumbling, that might help to hurry them along!
Old 21st May 2021, 20:28

Mood
Lucky

I'm still waiting for my blood test results two weeks on (for something trivial) when the place I did the sample said it would be 3 to 5 days!

I can't imaging how frustrating it would be if it was something important.
Old 21st May 2021, 23:35

^ Ah, so I'm not the only one waiting for basic blood test results to come back Tonkin

My blood test results were testing for the usual things like thyroid problems, Diabetes, etc, but also for things that might indicate cancer (although the Doctor assured me he didn't think for a moment I had anything that serious) but, yes, you do wonder how much valuable treatment time is lost while people with something serious are waiting for their results. It really doesn't bare thinking about

I started to call my Doctor today to find out if he/she had finally gotten round to reading my results but I was something like 12 in the queue and had to eventually hang up because I didn't want to be late for my cats Veterinary appointment.

I shall try again next week
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:37

Mood
Alienated

^ Don't suppose they have your mobile on record?

I got my "results" texted to me on a Sunday!

I was most surprised, I doubt anyone was working there Sunday..is it automated? I have no idea

I know having to pause everything while waiting for answers over a weekend is very grim!

Surely if something had been flagged up as serious they would be making an effort to contact you? If the doctors checked them..found something, they wouldn't just leave it till next week?
Old 24th May 2021, 11:27

^ Hmm, tbh, I can't imagine my Surgery contacting me even if my test results were covered in big red waving flags. For example, when my mother went to the Surgery for some routine thing that old people are called in for it was only because I'd accompanied her and my beady eyes spotted the word 'cancer' on the PC screen that anyone knew about it. Even the GP, who had wasted a good 10 minutes yapping on about cutting down on certain foods because of the risk of diabetes, was surprised. I mean, how can a GP miss the word 'cancer' on someone's blood test results?

The Surgery has been placed into special measures because it's so incompetent so I have zero faith in them. Unfortunately other Surgeries round about are not a lot better.

The thing is, if they say the test results are 'okay' or 'satisfactory' then it means absolutely nothing because I know that my symptoms are real. I can feel the pain and that isn't okay

It's good to hear that you got your results texted to you Toxic
I trust that the results were what you were hoping for. Do you feel any more relieved health wise?
Old 24th May 2021, 12:24

Mood
Cynical

^ That's appalling! I think they ought to bring in staff from other well performing surgeries to get to grips with everything that's wrong and bring the standards back up. It sounds like they're putting people's health in danger with their negligence.
Old 24th May 2021, 15:55

^ Yes indeed

I finally managed to get through to the Surgery today. Usually they give the blood test results over the phone but the Receptionist refused saying I need to see a GP and that they would try to call me within 48 hours. I'm sure it's nothing, but now I feel worried.
Old 24th May 2021, 16:06

Mood
Cynical

^ Hopefully that might mean you get a proper explanation from the GP, I understand you might be worried though.
Old 24th May 2021, 19:12

^^ I hope you hear from your doctors soon.
Old 24th May 2021, 20:20

Mood
Alienated

@Consolida

Good Grief they really are messing you about aint they. I thought my doctors was crap as when you google them it comes up as 1.4/5 and all the reviews are along the lines of .."they never answer the phone, its taken me 6 months to get an appointment, complete waste of space" etc etc

Sounds like your doctors may best mine!

I get were going through a pandemic but I don't think they can milk that for much longer, every time I've gone to doctors/hospital in the last year theres been more staff about than patients.

We have a similar issue round here, my *selection of doctors based on google reviews* are pretty much all 1.x/5, whats the point of even going elsewhere to get the same rubbish

As for my results, well not really. I'm at a bit of a loss now. The CT scan seemingly showed nothing and my bloods were apparently of a satisfactory enough level to not go down that path any further. Which I suppose is good but I'm sure they are starting to think its all in my head. My doctor basically thinks I'm making it up, I'm sitting here bouncing in my chair due to my heart which won't chill the **** out..yet apparently I'm just imagining it. I also can't take very strong beta blockers due to having a naturally borderline too low heart rate (for whatever reason) - to the point 2.5mg was giving me chest pains and dizzy spells. He's now prescribed 3x10mg of a different one, I'm sure hes trying to finish me off
Old 24th May 2021, 21:44

Mood
Cynical

^ So your heart rate is low but your heart feels like it's pounding or something? (I don't think symptoms are really ever 'all in someone's head', it's more like something might have a psychological or emotional cause rather than a physical one. Which is just as important to know about really.)
Old 24th May 2021, 21:58

I just wish I could cope a bit better with life, I worry about everything and everyone.
Old 24th May 2021, 22:34

^ Aww Newbs, I'm sorry to hear that. You're a kind and caring person so it's not surprising that you worry about everything and everyone but I know how physically draining all of that worry can be

@ Dougella - Thanks
A proper explanation from the GP would be most welcome although I think I'll have a heart attack if I get as much as that from him/her.

@ Newbs - Thank you
The Surgery text me later today to say that the GP will be phoning me in the morning about my blood test results so at least I won't have to wait 48 hours.

@ Nanuq - Thanks
Until recently you could start phoning the Surgery dead on 8am but everyone had exactly the same idea so it was impossible to get though. In the past, I've spent an hour continuously pressing redial and the line would be permanently engaged only to finally get through at 9am to be told by the brusque Receptionist that all the days appointments had gone and I'd have to try again the following morning

The Surgery has just changed things where no one can phone for an appointment and they have to book online instead. Which is pretty crap for folk such as the elderly who may not have a PC or know how to work one.

@ Toxic - Ah it does sound like your Surgery isn't that much better than mine. You don't live in the south-east by any chance do you? My in-laws up North have brilliant Doctors in comparison, although that's not difficult.

It's good that the things you've been tested for are coming back to suggest there's not a problem with those areas but if the issue of the pounding heart is still bothering you then that's not good at all. It certainly isn't all in your head but, as I think Dougella suggested, we all know how stress can have an absolutely devastating effect on our physical health and symptoms brought on by anxiety are as real as any other symptoms. Not that I'm saying that your heart issues are anxiety related

Fingers crossed, the new beta blockers at a different dose will do the trick and certainly won't be finishing you off!
Old 25th May 2021, 11:58

@ Nanuq - Thank you
I was meant to receive a call from the Doctor at 9am about my blood test results but it's all gone completely pear shaped. She may phone later OR she may not
In the meantime, I've asked the Receptionist to post my blood test results to me (apparently they can't be emailed). She wasn't that keen but she's doing it anyway...hopefully.
Old 25th May 2021, 12:10
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Oh dear. Hope she calls, you'd think as you've had to wait so long (with all the cock ups) they'd prioritise contacting you. . Good for you asking for them to be posted.
Old 25th May 2021, 14:15

The Doctor phoned!

She was rather brusque over the phone - her bedside manner was definitely lacking - but at least I may have some idea about what is causing the terrible non stop pain in my bones especially the ones in my legs. She said that my vitamin D levels are far lower than what is deemed normal. I told her that I've already been taking quite a high amount of Vitamin D Supplements for the past few months so she's going to prescribe a very strong dose that I can take for around 12 weeks. It's true that I spend all of my days indoors, especially since the Pandemic started, but it doesn't help that the weather is absolutely crap at the moment.

She also mentioned that I have a borderline fatty liver
This shocked me as I'm a tad overweight but not excessively so, I don't drink, I don't smoke, and my diet that is packed with vegetables, salads and some fruit is healthier than so many people's. I do have a sweet tooth though and consume chocolate every day If I've got to cut that out, one of my few comforts, then it's a sad state of affairs.

It's going to be so hard making life changes especially regarding exercise when my SA makes it so hard for me to get out of my front door and walk locally. If I lived in the countryside with no neighbours it would be SO much easier.