SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th August 2016, 23:06

Mood
Crappy

Unhappy I think my under eyes are deformed

http://imgur.com/j6YlcTx

I started noticing my under eyes were darkening in tenth grade. Then it just kept getting worse. There not even baggy but sunken in. If you think it looks bad in that pic imagine what it looks like in different lightings.

I'm 18 and am not schooling until a couple months so I usually stay up until 1am and wake up around 10am everyday. So sleep isn't the issue. What could have caused this and why me?
Old 24th August 2016, 23:25

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: I think my under eyes are deformed

To be honest you look completely normal to me. Unfortunately some people just get more visible dark circles under their eyes than others, that's why women spend so much money on concealer!

One thing that can have an effect is low iron levels I believe, so you might want to see a doctor and get that checked if you think it could be a problem.
Old 25th August 2016, 00:00

I've had a similar thing for as long as I can remember, a permanent dark patch under my eyes. Like you, I've never really been short of sleep, so that can't be to blame. I'm pretty sure when I was ill around age 12 or 13, I had a lot of blood tests and the like and was told I had an iron deficiency, which never got sorted out, so like Dougella says that could be worth checking up on. Probably worth me checking up on too, but I don't know how to broach the subject with a doctor to get tested.

I think your eyes look normal too, though. It's maybe one of those things we dwell on about ourselves that no one else really gives a second thought.
Old 25th August 2016, 08:49

Mood
Balanced

You look normal to me too.

Of course, what I think doesn't matter because you have already decided there is an issue and now your mind is fixated on it.

Work out ways you can start to unpick the certainty that it is an issue. Think about how other people are not airbrushed perfect and yet they don't care. Think about how much thinking about it affects you and whether you want to keep perpetuating that. Use less media so your mind starts to see normal people as normal, instead of media people as normal. etc etc etc.

Also, you may not receive a balanced view of what a healthy sleep cycle is from the internet because most people are doing unhealthy things. 1am to 10am is not healthy, move it an hour forward a week until you hit 10pm to 7am and see how you feel after a month of that.

FYI I am not guessing about what a healthy sleep cycle is, do some research and you will see the value to your mind and body of starting well before midnight.
Old 25th August 2016, 18:29

Mood
Alienated

under my eyes are dreadful

I was bullied repeatedly for it

turns out I also had some sort of contact dermitits that was focused just round my eyes which proceeded to make them flare up/puffy/swollen/red/skin/crack/bleed whatever (just the skin!) and the years of doctors not having a clue and just telling me to stick steroid cream on made the skin super thin (kind obvious when you think about it) and thats why they dont tell you to put stuff on your face now..

Well apart from that dull tale I would honestly say your photo doesn't look too bad? If you perceive there to be a problem, could you have thin skin around there? have you ever put creams on for ..eczema or anything? I dont think the sleep thing ever matters, I used to sleep for either 2-3hrs a night or 12-14hrs..my eyes really never changed until the steroid cream!
Old 5th September 2016, 20:40

I thought I was the only one but I have a blue bit under one of my eyes. I've had it for as long as I remember and it looks like I have a constant black eye. I try to put foundation and concealer on it but it never disappears. It's something I get self conscious about.
Old 7th September 2016, 06:25
Banned at own request

Mood
Blah

Mine are a lovely shade of purple.
Lack of sleep, poor diet, night shifts, sun exposure, alcohol use etc blah blah blah.

Stop worrying about it, 99% of people wont notice and of the 1% that do 99% wont care
Old 7th September 2016, 08:43

I was born with "bags", it's a genetic thing. The underneath of my eyes is dark/purple and my eyes look "sunken", partly due to the shape of my brow. Being a girl, I just slap on some foundation and all of a sudden I look wide awake!

You, however, do not actually look like you have bags to me! Like others have said, your eyes look perfectly normal. But sometimes if you focus all your attention on something it looks a lot worse to you - like when you stare at a perfectly nice selfie until it "gets ugly...."

If you do have permanent bags, then it is probably genetic, and it's not uncommon. You probably spend less time staring at other people's eyes than your own, but people with pale skin often have dark patches under their eyes - it's just where the veins are closer to the surface and if your skin is a bit translucent due to being pale skinned then it shows up more. To be honest, I've never noticed it in another person, but I know it's very common so I think it's just one of those things that isn't really that noticeable to other people or just comes off as so "normal" that you brain doesn't clock it.

If it does seem like it has just started or has got worse then you might want to get checked for anaemia like other people have said though.