Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th January 2016, 12:11
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default A question that's always puzzled me

More out of curiosity now than relevance to future situations. If you are gay does this mean you would have physical difficulties making love to a woman in that you would struggle to complete the act, or if healthy would have little difficulty but just wouldn't enjoy it?
Old 27th January 2016, 14:36

Default Re: A question that's always puzzled me

Depends, kind of.

It's not quite right to think of homosexuality and heterosexuality in binary opposition; sexuality is better conceived of a continuum with straight at one end and gay on the other, as in the Kinsey Scale. It also probably makes sense to add another dimension taking into account variation in degrees of sexual interest/attraction, though that's another matter, sort of. There's also the issue that where you are on the continuum might vary within your lifetime, but I'm going to keep quiet about that. Thus, as you can be mostly straight but a bit gay, the reverse, somewhere in the middle or anywhere in-between, it means that someone who might describe themselves as gay but likes the other sex a little bit too could get pleasure from heterosexual sex, while someone who's attracted to one sex only may not enjoy sex with the other. It all really depends on the person. The same goes for having physical difficulties too, though other factors might come into play there.

Another way to look at it is to ask whether being straight would mean you would dislike and have physical difficulties making love with a person of the same sex? If you were 100% straight, you probably would. Same goes for being 100% gay.

(Disclaimer: I've used 'one sex' and the 'other sex' for ease/because of my pathological laziness.)
Old 27th January 2016, 15:01

Default Re: A question that's always puzzled me

Homosexuals often have heterosexual sex in order to hide the fact that they're homosexual, either to themselves or to others. It's a form of repression and it isn't an enjoyable act. It can be quite miserable for many. A lot do fail to "complete the act" for obvious reasons.

That isn't to say it is impossible to enjoy it. The reason however would be mere physical stimulation, rather than the physical stimulation and emotional and sexual arousal which would otherwise be produced by the partner.