SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th August 2021, 19:25

Default Starting a New Temp Job Tomorrow

So tomorrow I start a new job which will only be for a couple of months. This will be working in the office for 4 days and 1 day from home. I'm feeling slightly anxious as its been a while since I had a job, and especially one where I had to travel to everyday. When I went to the interview, everyone seemed nice! Just hope I can do the work they ask of me and complete the contract as it would be nice to have some money coming in even if its for that short amount of time.

I'm hoping I can find some remote work as I wouldn't have to travel and I'd be able to keep my mum company as she doesn't like being alone.
Old 24th August 2021, 21:52

Default Re: Starting a New Temp Job Tomorrow

That sounds great!

Hope your first day goes well. Remember the first day of any job is exhausting because of the information overload on top of the first day nerves. Ask questions and for clarification if you're unsure because people are always happy to help out the newbie.

Maybe you could take some biscuits or cookies in for the staffroom?
Old 24th August 2021, 22:44

All the best for tomorrow!

It's totally normal to feel anxious on your first day at a new job but I'm sure everything will be fine, especially as everyone seemed nice when you went for the interview.

As Biscuits said, maybe you could take some cookies or biscuits with you.
In fact SAUK's very own Biscuit? I'm sure she will go down a treat in the staffroom
Old 25th August 2021, 21:21

Hope it went well, mate
Old 25th August 2021, 21:24

First week in a new job is extremely exhausting and stressful as they throw information at you and people say hi and hey.

But then it gets easier. You got this!
Old 28th August 2021, 18:05

Thanks everyone for the support! After a couple of days I think I've got the hang of the work now although will need a bit more clarification on other bits but seems pretty straight forward. The girl training me was showing me and even gave me some very clear instructions a long with a Teams recording.

I'm working in the office 4 days a week and on Friday working from home. But I'd love to be working from home everyday! Because I feel like the outsider and suddenly been thrust in this world where everyone has this established rapport with each other. I was so happy at the last company I worked at. We had a good team and I even got used to my boss because she seemed like abit of a stresshead! But luckily she was only in the office 3 times a week and mostly in meetings the rest of the week.

In this company though there are very few people in the office. I'm working in a big open plan office but I can see there's some cameraderie between the people that are there. And I can see people are trying to be friendly with me aqnd include me but it can feel awkward sometimes.

But this role is only a temp role for a couple of months. I'm working 8 til 4 and it takes about 40 minutes to get there which means I have to get up really early. I think its making me tired. But can't complain as it is proving me with some income. Just not sure I could do it long term as I would either prefer a job that is closer to home or fully remote.

Thursday they couldn't find much for me to do so got me to help out down stairs doing some sorting of papers. Now to most people this probably is a boring job but I love little jobs like that, where I have to stuff envelopes or file paper. Just something about that I find relaxing and I can just switch off.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formershyguy

Thursday they couldn't find much for me to do so got me to help out down stairs doing some sorting of papers. Now to most people this probably is a boring job but I love little jobs like that, where I have to stuff envelopes or file paper. Just something about that I find relaxing and I can just switch off.
Haha I very much relate to this. Then they always apologise like they've asked you to do a massive burden lol
Old 29th August 2021, 10:33

That's great that you're setting in well and get to work a little bit from home too.

40 min journey must be rough, but as you say it's only for a few months so not too much longer. Have you looked on google maps to see if there is a quicker route? There is also the app called wayz. That helps to find a quicker journey to places. You could always tell your agency that you'd prefer a shorter journey to work for next time.
Old 30th August 2021, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKatie
Haha I very much relate to this. Then they always apologise like they've asked you to do a massive burden lol
Haha people always assume that if they give you a mundane job like filing, shuffling paper, photocopying, stuffing envelopes they will think you'll be bored! But how little they know me! This kind of work i just find so relaxing, I can switch off, I can relax and I don't have to worry about anything.

I once had a job where I was working for 6 months in my own little office with a radio, setting up new files. It was total Paradise! Jobs like that are very few and far between.
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formershyguy
Haha people always assume that if they give you a mundane job like filing, shuffling paper, photocopying, stuffing envelopes they will think you'll be bored! But how little they know me! This kind of work i just find so relaxing, I can switch off, .
I'm very similar, i can put my mind elsewhere and think about important things like "if a pig could talk and was sentient, and it's goal in life is to be made in to bacon, is it ethical to eat that pig?"