SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th July 2011, 21:49

Mood
Happy

Default Happiness

I recently saw a poster on happiness which I liked. The opening line said something like "happiness is making the moments worthwhile."
Would this perhaps mean that if I grasp this moment in time with unreserved gratitude for simply being then I am free to appreciate this without being clouded by sadness and loneliness.
I also liked the line that said " Happiness makes heavy light"
I'd very much welcome comments on these thoughts.
With best wishes
Peter
Old 14th July 2011, 22:01

Mood
Woot

Default Re: Happiness

What does happiness makes heavy light mean? Oh, as in weight?

I like the first point, or rather your particular interpretation of it as trying to be grateful for just being and sheering through the loneliness/anxiety with that thought, it's the idea of being here now in the moment instead of being like a ghost which I am very guilty of.

I just can't do that though, I've got a permanent running monologue in my head that just keeps saying 'you're turning red, you're morphing into a tomato, you look ridiculous, everyone thinks you're a loser, wow you have NOTHING to say, why are you sweating so much it can't be that hot everyone else isn't, look at your disgusting little man boobs' etc etc... lol

I think happiness is overrated, it's just the opposite end of the same stick when you compare it with sadness, I'd just like to be comfortable with who I am, when I've genuinely felt like that, like I don't give a shit what anyone thinks I have been at my happiest, like when I walked out at the end of seeing my first music gig, powerful stuff
Old 14th July 2011, 22:07

Mood
Dreaming

i read in a book, happiness exists in the absence of negative emotions, so i guess that's similar to your interpretation

but to me that's more like contentness, which is enough for me

i can only experience fleeting moments of happiness
Old 14th July 2011, 22:19

Mood
Happy

Thank you for responding.
My interpretation is that everything, even the effort of getting out of bed, can feel hard, difficult, turgid and heavy. With happiness I can performs tasks lightly, with lightness, rather than being burdoned by a turgid heavy sack of sadness.
Hope I'm making sense!
Peter
Old 15th July 2011, 00:14

Old 15th July 2011, 00:25

Mood
Happy

Wonderful - thank you
Old 15th July 2011, 00:35

I may be completely missing the point here but isnt this regarding happiness as some sort of philosophy rather than a state of mind. You may be able to work towards being happy over a long period of time but I cant decide to be happy now anymore than I can decide to be hungry.
Old 15th July 2011, 04:48

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjohn
Thank you for responding.
My interpretation is that everything, even the effort of getting out of bed, can feel hard, difficult, turgid and heavy. With happiness I can performs tasks lightly, with lightness, rather than being burdoned by a turgid heavy sack of sadness.
Hope I'm making sense!
Peter
Yes, you do make sense, I just wish I could figure out a way to put the idea into effect.

I guess I need to believe that there's a logical basis for being happy before I can have any feeling of happiness.
Old 15th July 2011, 05:41

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover
Yes, you do make sense, I just wish I could figure out a way to put the idea into effect.

I guess I need to believe that there's a logical basis for being happy before I can have any feeling of happiness.
I'll have a go at explaining some more.
I feel that being happy or not is dependent not just on your life experience and current circumstances but also how you feel about them.
If I can convince myself that simply being alive is wonderful and intrinsically a gift then maybe I've increased my sense of happiness. I feel this may be a feeling from very deep inside, perhaps developed by meditation or yoga or having a spiritual or religious belief.
Though I have suffered and continue to suffer great loneliness and insecurity if I access that which for me I know lies deep inside then my spirits soar.
My inner being is a place of purity, which like an everlasting waterfall, never runs dry. We naturally tend to live in terms of the cover of our personal books. At the moment I would feel myself to be a happy person.
Offered with the thoughts of peace, love and understanding.
Peter
Closed Thread