SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th July 2011, 14:41

Default Neighbourhood Freak?

Does anyone here have the problem of being known as the 'crazy person' in their neighbourhood and if so how do you cope with it?

I have particular problems with kids in my estate calling me crazy and constantly asking if I can talk. I used to have selective mutism and it never really went away tbh. When I do say anything back to them they scream "Oh my God, she spoke!" or something like that as if I'm an experiment.

I've also heard that adults around here think I'm schizophrenic (I'm not) and I've also had kids shout "Here she comes, quick run away from her!!!" as I've walked near them as if they've been warned away from me!

I'm a little bothered about being like the circus freak and going out especially during the school holidays is like being in a goldfish bowl or something! Sometimes I feel like I want to suddenly do a backflip or a song and dance routine when they all stare at me but doing something silly would just reinforce their ideas that I'm barking mad. Ah, it just gets to me sometimes!
Old 8th July 2011, 16:29

Mood
Insomnious

Default Re: Neighbourhood Freak?

That's very horrible of some very small minded people. I am sorry you have to go through such a thing.
Old 11th July 2011, 22:00

Mood
Elated

Not experiencing it but boy does that sound harsh and unsettling. Regardless of your issues, you're a human being and should be treated as such.

Kids can be idiots. I lived recently in a crime hotspot in Birmingham and my house mate and I were afraid to go outside since we got attacked in the park (racist attack) and we'd get really weird people banging on our windows and doors even late at night. I was ill once and my house mate told me that whilst I was resting, there was this random bloke outside swearing at the house. This was gone midnight and went on for about an hour or so. So I do know a bit about what is like to feel unsettled in your own home area.

If this is a regular thing where you get such treatment, might be worth talking to the police, community groups or getting some advice. If your issues prevent you from doing this then letters would work or you could nominate someone to act for you in such discussions. I know it would be tough to do but you don't deserve bad treatment from anyone. You've got some issues. So have most of us. But you remain a human being as worth of love, kindness and support as anyone else.

Are you seeing a therapist or professional health care person who could help you get some advice and or act on your behalf to help you change the treatment you are getting from certain individuals?
Old 14th July 2011, 22:18

That's nothing. According to neighbourhood rumour I raped and murdered a bunch of kids then buried them in my garden.
Old 14th July 2011, 22:29

Mood
Woot

Wow, I always thought that people around here viewed me as the neighbourhood freak as I hardly ever go out and whenever I go into a newsagents around here people are gabbing to each other like crazy and I don't... I don't know how!

Never actually had any of the things outlined in this thread though, I feel really bad for you guys who have been singled out like that, completely out of order.

I'm sure people round my area probably presume I'm a paedophile or something crazy like that but I've never heard it said, it'd crush me if I did I think.

I think I'd move...
Old 15th July 2011, 08:58

The only way to stop it is to move. Judgemental people never change.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:11

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyn78
Does anyone here have the problem of being known as the 'crazy person' in their neighbourhood and if so how do you cope with it?

I have particular problems with kids in my estate calling me crazy and constantly asking if I can talk. I used to have selective mutism and it never really went away tbh. When I do say anything back to them they scream "Oh my God, she spoke!" or something like that as if I'm an experiment.

I've also heard that adults around here think I'm schizophrenic (I'm not) and I've also had kids shout "Here she comes, quick run away from her!!!" as I've walked near them as if they've been warned away from me!

I'm a little bothered about being like the circus freak and going out especially during the school holidays is like being in a goldfish bowl or something! Sometimes I feel like I want to suddenly do a backflip or a song and dance routine when they all stare at me but doing something silly would just reinforce their ideas that I'm barking mad. Ah, it just gets to me sometimes!
People are horrendous creatures; if they aren't entertained enough then they entertain themselves with idiocy.

If it isn't too hard, speak to your local PCO/ Police victim support. What these people are doing is being directly intimidating, illegal and reducing your quality of life.

Hope it gets better soon. L x
Closed Thread