SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th July 2011, 17:05

Mood
Confused

Default Procrastinating?

This is something i've not been able to beat and it really does floor you because you never really get anywhere.

I remember sitting in school at 15 thinking when I leave school i'm gonna start my own business and be my own boss, at 30 now I'm still thinking that Then came driving at 17, I'm gonna start, I'm gonna start well i'm still not driving.

Occasionally you muster up motivation and give it a crack but it fails soon after and you give up again, but these moments of motivation are rare very rare.

Even things like going through CBT are a non starter, self help books are bought but never finished and in alot of cases never started.

It really is amazing how many areas procrastination effects your life.

Holiday are out the window because you can't save, as is a house or any other big financial commitments, getting fit, you name it, it is effected
Old 17th July 2011, 17:32

Default Re: Procrastinating?

This is all I do. I have lists of stuff I need to do, a whole pile of OU work I haven't touched in two months.

Just no interest in anything
Old 17th July 2011, 17:36

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy
This is all I do. I have lists of stuff I need to do, a whole pile of OU work I haven't touched in two months.

Just no interest in anything
I went to the OU, Started a course in October, dropped out in December as yes I couldn't be arsed anymore
Old 17th July 2011, 17:50

Mood
Woot

I'm terrible for it too, forced myself to start exercising again around April time and I've stuck to it for the most part, fell off a few times but I've managed to shift 15lbs in that time (have been super lazy and doing nothing but sitting in front of the computer for about a week though and eating loads of bread so I may have put some back on I haven't weighed myself yet).

You need to force yourself to do it (breaking out of procrastination), and stay focused on the end goal, keep visualizing it and staying positive, if it doesn't work stick with it until it does. It has to become habit, I've heard that after sticking with something for 21 days the thing becomes habit and therefore easier to do (think I read it in psycho-cybernetics) and I believe that.

Getting angry a bit seems to get me moving too but then it's tough to reign back in and probably not healthy
Old 17th July 2011, 18:57

I am procrastinating right now.
Old 17th July 2011, 20:46

Mood
Tired

Procrastination seems to affect a lot of us it seems :/ I get a lot of motivation from being around my Mum, as she's a very confident, action taking lady and often pushes me to get things done. This is super great right now, because obviously it's the push to get me exercising, eating right, getting little bits and pieces done.

Of course when I go back to uni, it will be a strong effort to keep myself motivated, I'll want to slack off exercising and getting myself into uni all day
Old 17th July 2011, 21:34

Mood
Breezy

I'm a weird mix. All or nothing. I either procrastinate badly or it's all guns blazing
Old 18th July 2011, 00:10

Mood
Balanced

an SA-er is built for procrastination

its all a question of motivation
and with sa most of your towards motivation (gettin that shinny new prize) is usually minimal as we tend to put ourselves down, feeling undeserving, incapable, or any other of the many negative sticks we use for self-flagellating
then there's (my) great avoidance motivation which stops me from achieving much thru fear of watever my particular strand of SA deems fearful

hence depression and nothing seeming worth doing
Old 18th July 2011, 02:49

Mood
Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietman
This is something i've not been able to beat and it really does floor you because you never really get anywhere.

I remember sitting in school at 15 thinking when I leave school i'm gonna start my own business and be my own boss, at 30 now I'm still thinking that Then came driving at 17, I'm gonna start, I'm gonna start well i'm still not driving.

Occasionally you muster up motivation and give it a crack but it fails soon after and you give up again, but these moments of motivation are rare very rare.

Even things like going through CBT are a non starter, self help books are bought but never finished and in alot of cases never started.

It really is amazing how many areas procrastination effects your life.

Holiday are out the window because you can't save, as is a house or any other big financial commitments, getting fit, you name it, it is effected
Sounds so very familiar

I'd love my own business (though i think id prefer working for someone else even then, i'm not a leader) but the one thing stopping me is by far the most vital thing of all: i don't have a good business idea.

Without that foundation you're stuck and no amount of willpower will help.

You can float a good idea with dodgy/suspect motivation, but the opposite simply does not work at all.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:18

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by failquail
Sounds so very familiar

I'd love my own business (though i think id prefer working for someone else even then, i'm not a leader) but the one thing stopping me is by far the most vital thing of all: i don't have a good business idea.

Without that foundation you're stuck and no amount of willpower will help.

You can float a good idea with dodgy/suspect motivation, but the opposite simply does not work at all.
Oh yes I agree, I have no idea what so ever, I'm not an imaginative person, I never get ideas, I've been waiting on my light bulb moment 15 years, I think we can now say its not gonna happen, perhaps if I actually had an interest in something it might help.
Closed Thread