SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th December 2011, 22:48
Banned at own request

Cool Does the Gym help with your anxiety

I'm going to go Gym more regularly to get a nice body and to be more stronger. Infact I imagine being more active and playing more sports like football or basketball. However because I didn't learn these sports, especially football, when most of my age mates learnt it seems embarrassing for me to play it in front of people.

Today I went to the Gym and when I came out I felt much less shy and less negative, I felt kind of happy. This also happened when I went to the Gym last week, I'm going to try going more regularly though. The gym members I saw also don't seem bad, even though some of them were big and muscular, they weren't like bullies.

Also when, you workout do you make noise when you're trying? Other members seemed to make noise when they were trying. I'm to shy at the moment to do that.

I need to know more about Gym routines so I could maintain interest in the Gym.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:42

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Does the Gym help with your anxiety

how you getting on at the gym now, you still going? Are you used to it a bit more now?
I also really want to join the gym, not only to get more fit and in shape but also to have something to do daily, as i would plan to go daily weekdays.
My main concern is the mirrors there,them big long ones,arent they every where in the gym.
In my local one they are, i dont like to look in the mirrors and feel overly exposed.
Are you still feeling less shy and negative in going there?
Old 5th January 2012, 10:41

Mood
Spaced

I'm thinking of joining a gym, i'm just scared to take the initial step and go there. I've never been to one before and i'd feel daft going there on my own and not knowing what to do. Do you go to the gym alone?
Old 5th January 2012, 11:31

I can't afford a gym membership right now, but I used to go and found it helpful. I feel a lot better anxiety wise when I exercise regularly and it was a good exercise for SA. Once I got used to it, I didn't even care that much anymore about the people around. In my experience, most people just do their thing without paying attention to anyone else so I gradually stopped feeling self-conscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammmy
I've never been to one before and i'd feel daft going there on my own and not knowing what to do.
When you sign up, you can book a session with a trainer who will set up an exercise plan for you and show you how to do everything. I think most gyms offer that... the ones I've been to did. Maybe that could help.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:08

^ Exactly what I did the first time I joined a gym. I basically had two sessions with a personal trainer who showed me how to use everything (or the majority of things, anyway).
Old 5th January 2012, 16:51
Banned

Missed this thread lol. I joined the gym 3 weeks ago and although is a bit nerve wracking going i do feel much better afterwards. I had that same buzz after i work out at home but this seems better. I think its to do with me feeling good that im doing something that i initially found hard to do (join a gym) so its like a pat myself on the back so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepe
. The gym members I saw also don't seem bad, even though some of them were big and muscular, they weren't like bullies.

Also when, you workout do you make noise when you're trying? Other members seemed to make noise when they were trying. I'm to shy at the moment to do that.

There is quite a few members i see who are massive and me being me automatically stereotype them but everyone seems to keep to themselves. Im quiet as a mouse when i work out although some can be quite noisy. Went yesterday and some rugby player was making a racket. Smashing the weights down on the machine after each set lol.

One thing i do notice is alot seem to play on their phones lol. I dont know if its to select a track on the mp3 or just need something to do while they rest between sets.
Having said that i need to buy a mp3 player for the gym, just a basic crappy one that is light.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:37

Mood
Thinking

Any form of exercise helps guys. I run a lot and also go to the gym. Just about getting yourself into a routine. Going early morning works best for me and improves my mood for the day!
Old 5th January 2012, 18:08

Mood
Crappy

I want to start doing some jogging or cycling again. I need a routine. I did it once before in the summer and I don't know why I stopped. I'm a little worried that I'll loose too much weight I guess, as I don't have much to loose.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking
Any form of exercise helps guys. I run a lot and also go to the gym. Just about getting yourself into a routine. Going early morning works best for me and improves my mood for the day!
Well, I'm not sure about anxiety (it didn't seem to make any difference for me), but it definitely does improve your mood a lot, particularly right after the workout.

I can't do early mornings, though. I need my sleep.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:57
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn
how you getting on at the gym now, you still going? Are you used to it a bit more now?
I also really want to join the gym, not only to get more fit and in shape but also to have something to do daily, as i would plan to go daily weekdays.
My main concern is the mirrors there,them big long ones,arent they every where in the gym.
In my local one they are, i dont like to look in the mirrors and feel overly exposed.
Are you still feeling less shy and negative in going there?
My gym doesn't have mirrors, I don't mind looking at myself but I don't like looking at myself when people are with me. The first time I went was the hardest but it became easier. Unfortunately I can't go as much as I was planning to go cause I don't have much money and my mum keeps burrowing my money, one reason I can't wait to live by myself and want to get a weekend job. However I don't feel like moving out now, i'm 17.

I use more machines but I haven't tried the free weights yet.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:05
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
There is quite a few members i see who are massive and me being me automatically stereotype them but everyone seems to keep to themselves. Im quiet as a mouse when i work out although some can be quite noisy. Went yesterday and some rugby player was making a racket. Smashing the weights down on the machine after each set lol.
Some, but not all, muscular members are actually inspiring to me as I watched them do different types of pull ups (not sure of the name of what they were doing) but you could see they were motivated.

I don't take my ipod as my earphones fall out while I'm on the treadmill and the gym plays music. I also don't take my phone, I don't see much point. There was some member who didn't even use the machines for a good workout once cause she was spending her time on the phone. But some female members have nice toned( but not over muscular) bodys.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:01

Mood
Dreaming

Can anyone answer me this?
My health worker says i should be asking my GP for gym pass for confidence building even though i'm not overweight. Can I get your epinions is ok morally? or a leach on society?
And can you get to choice any gym? eg. in the posher part of town.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:31

Mood
Blah

If the doctor thinks its fine then go for it.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:57
Banned

Quote:
I don't take my ipod as my earphones fall out while I'm on the treadmill and the gym plays music. I also don't take my phone, I don't see much point. There was some member who didn't even use the machines for a good workout once cause she was spending her time on the phone. But some female members have nice toned( but not over muscular) bodys.
I understand ALL of what you said much more now that i've been going more frequently Cant get reception on my phone it seems in the gym but use it as a mp3 player but its a bit heavy i find when doing cardio.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:59

Mood
Crappy

I found going to the gym really helped with my depression. I didn't notice any effect it had on anxiety. It probably did help some but what was hugely noticable to me was that my depression decreased greatly. It's 100 times better than prozac. I do hate the mirrors though. I try to just look upwards or downwards, not actually into them.

Quote:
My health worker says i should be asking my GP for gym pass for confidence building even though i'm not overweight. Can I get your epinions is ok morally? or a leach on society?
And can you get to choice any gym? eg. in the posher part of town.
Overweight people aren't the only people who benefit from the gym. There is nothing morally wrong with this at all. I think that would be a really good idea.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtray88
Overweight people aren't the only people who benefit from the gym. There is nothing morally wrong with this at all. I think that would be a really good idea.
At fist i assumed that the only people at th gym would be overweight people or juice heads. But most seems tp be average weight tbh. I guess most want to generally get fit like myself.
As for the original question, as i've been goign more often now im not sure how mich it has helped my anxiety, i think it's helped more my self confidence more than anything as it was hard for me to go there and now do it regulary. I think it depends on what your anxieties are based on and i do have appearance anxietied with regards to my weight so that may address them maybe.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:18

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtray88
I found going to the gym really helped with my depression. I didn't notice any effect it had on anxiety. It probably did help some but what was hugely noticable to me was that my depression decreased greatly. It's 100 times better than prozac. I do hate the mirrors though. I try to just look upwards or downwards, not actually into them.

Yeah, it didn't help with my anxiety, actually made it worse, cos the one I went to (only decent one nearby) had loads of steroid users there. And to be honest there seemed to be quite a lot of gay guys, well, dudes were always staring at my ass when I did squats. It helped with my depression a lot though! I mean, I have been powerlifting (badly) for almost 10 years now and without that I think I would have gone insane..r long ao.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:24

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
I'm going to go Gym more regularly to get a nice body and to be more stronger. Infact I imagine being more active and playing more sports like football or basketball. However because I didn't learn these sports, especially football, when most of my age mates learnt it seems embarrassing for me to play it in front of people.

Today I went to the Gym and when I came out I felt much less shy and less negative, I felt kind of happy. This also happened when I went to the Gym last week, I'm going to try going more regularly though. The gym members I saw also don't seem bad, even though some of them were big and muscular, they weren't like bullies.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

This beginner routine helped me a lot, it's basic and trains your body in a truly functional way, if you eat well, your strength gains will be huge for the first couple of months.
I have slight ocd, trust me I obsessively researched stuff. Even if your goal is to be a bodybuilder, it's good to focus on strength and compound lifts for the first few months, or hell.. until the gains slow down big time.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Cleans
Old 28th January 2012, 17:42

Mood
Dreaming

i go to the gym. i have a gym pass to go whenever i want. i went with my friend to the gym a couple of times and one time i went to the gym by myself just cuz she couldnt go because of school hrs. i do yoga class at the gym and eliptical and treadmil
Old 28th January 2012, 22:49
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by dace
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

This beginner routine helped me a lot, it's basic and trains your body in a truly functional way, if you eat well, your strength gains will be huge for the first couple of months.
I have slight ocd, trust me I obsessively researched stuff. Even if your goal is to be a bodybuilder, it's good to focus on strength and compound lifts for the first few months, or hell.. until the gains slow down big time.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Cleans
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have enough money to go to the gym regularly, it's pissing me off that the time I want to be healthier money comes in the way of it. I need a job.
Old 28th January 2012, 22:51
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivePoemsbyme
i go to the gym. i have a gym pass to go whenever i want. i went with my friend to the gym a couple of times and one time i went to the gym by myself just cuz she couldnt go because of school hrs. i do yoga class at the gym and eliptical and treadmil
How did you get a gym pass? How often do you pay for the gym. I have a gym card but I have to pay everytime I go to the gym.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:36

Mood
Musical

I wish I could make it to a gym but It's absolutely terrifying to me
Old 29th January 2012, 13:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowburn
Try it out a few times and see how it goes. I put going for ages and recently just joined. It was hard at first but im enjoying it now. Choosing the right gym helps alot.
Old 29th January 2012, 14:12

^ Also, some times are quieter than others. If you can go late at night or very early in the morning (depending on your gym's opening times), it might be easier to start with.
Old 29th January 2012, 14:50
Banned

I would guess early in the morning would be quite busy as people are getting in just before work. Depends how early you mean i guess.
I go around 2.30-4pm and its relatively quiet. I go a bit later on Sundays like today at around 4.30pm.
Some gyms are 24 hrs like 'Pure Gym' so that might be better for some wanting to find a place that is quiet.
The clientel at my gym are quite varied. Last time i went there on Thursday there were 2huge guys doing bench presses and 2 elderly women on the weight machines lol. Was funny seeing the constrast.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:13

Yeah, I meant beating the early morning rush of 'gym then work' people. It obviously depends on whether your gym is open then (and what your sleep schedule is like!).
Old 29th January 2012, 15:23
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowburn
When I wanted to go again I was shy, I wouldn't say I was terrified though. But when I went to the gym most of the anxiety faded away.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
Yeah, I meant beating the early morning rush of 'gym then work' people. It obviously depends on whether your gym is open then (and what your sleep schedule is like!).
What sort of time is best for avoidiung the rush. Most gyms i seen open up like 6am but expect them to be quote busy even then lol. I cba to go to the gym that early anyway.
Old 29th January 2012, 15:32
Banned

Quote:
When I wanted to go again I was shy, I wouldn't say I was terrified though. But when I went to the gym most of the anxiety faded away.
What anxiety was it though i.e being around other people, did the effect last a long time after you finished at the gym?
Old 29th January 2012, 15:44
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
What anxiety was it though i.e being around other people, did the effect last a long time after you finished at the gym?
Talking to the receptionist cause I knew a few receptionist I've talked to at my local sport centre seem inpatient. I was also nervous changing my clothes in the changing room but that fear was reduced although I never showered in the changing room. I wasn't too nervous to use most of the machines in the gym but I became more comfortable with them. I was nervous to use free weights though but I attempted to use free weight versions of the machines I used as I saw some ppl who seemed like beginners attempt some free weights.

I felt more positive when I went to the gym which made me feel less nervous. However, although I'm less nervous than I was before I started the gym I don't feel as positive again.

I know this might be because I can't afford to go gym regularly and I can't afford some of my other needs at the moment.