SAUK Discussion Board

SAUK Discussion Board (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/index.php)
-   Room with a View (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What does CBT involve? (http://www.social-anxiety-community.org/db/showthread.php?t=31971)

Princess 1982 30th December 2008 19:22

What does CBT involve?

Has anyone had experience of being treated with CBT? Any help or advice will be great. An anxious: Princess 1982 :eekpurple

incognito 30th December 2008 21:31

Re: What does CBT involve?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess 1982 (Post 674818)
Has anyone had experience of being treated with CBT? Any help or advice will be great. An anxious: Princess 1982 :eekpurple

I can only comment on "self cbt", which i learnt myself over a few months. It has help me greatly, in improving my confidence, getting rid of negative thought patterns and allowing me to get to a more better standard of social life.

CBT that i did, retrained my brain. To respond to social situations/setting more better and not be so anxious. It took a few months for any progress and it takes a lot of practice to change your thought patterns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogniti...vioral_therapy

Stu:)

miffy 30th December 2008 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognito (Post 674840)
I can only comment on "self cbt", which i learnt myself over a few months.

Hey that's insane, I didn't know you could do it yourself with success. I'm going to have to try it. Did you use any specific books or other resources to help you with it?

incognito 30th December 2008 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by miffy (Post 674847)
Hey that's insane, I didn't know you could do it yourself with success. I'm going to have to try it. Did you use any specific books or other resources to help you with it?

I used this course, which worked really well for me :)

http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/audioseries.html

Sunset 31st December 2008 08:32

Can you buy the cassettes from the UK? Everything is advertised in $$$$$ ;)

hardy 31st December 2008 13:00

I think i can state what the aim of CBT is . It doesn't deny that negative social stuff happens it shows to you that these things happen not for the reasons you think they do . And thats the reason for your lack of success . You keep trying to fix or worry about problems you dont have ! CBT helps you find your true problems and fix them.

lancess 31st December 2008 19:36

You can try this online audio CBT:

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/

SoftlySpoken1 31st December 2008 23:33

CBT has worked for me - I don't think its anything to be frightened of - if you are looking to change how you are - how you feel then it is a good thing to try. I think you should approach anything with an open mind - and be realistic - not everything works for everyone - it might not work the first time you try it - simply - you look at what you are thinking, what you are feeling, internal rules that you live by but may not be very aware of - and then you gradually try and change the things that are holding you back. If self help doesn't work for you, I would really recommend finding a counselor or therapist who you feel comfortable with - personally I think for social anxiety you need someone who will push you to relate to them - give it a go - but I think the most important thing if you really want to change is to keep trying - and keep trying - and keep trying! Good luck!

Mu. 1st January 2009 00:14

With a good clinical psychologist it's a lot of hard work over a long period of time.

Lynchy 1st January 2009 03:38

Quote:

I was on the blower to some bird last week on that phone in job "Breathing space" Samaritans sort of.

Anyway she was no help as she was v critical of me and running me down.

She said My devolved Govt are rolling out the funding to try and get more folk like me CBT. She said the govt wants to challenge negative thinkers like me.

The thing is I just think what they think is negative thinking is anyone who won't tow the line and doff their cap to the status quo. Ie me. I don't bow to authority very easily.

A shrink once told me i had an underlying positive attitude despite my morbid shyness. And no shrink has ever been willing to say their is anything mentally wrong with me and I'm v sane according to them.

I'm just different and I think we should celebrate that than thinking it's us thats wrong all the time.

I'm a fine human being and I'm actually bloody ok most of the time. I'm just dead single though.

[MiffyKoala] 1st January 2009 12:40

I'm doing cbt right now... it basically involves you facing your fears, like for me anxiety about going out alone, round the shops etc....
he explains how anxiety works and what not and gradually exposing yourself to going out alone. Im taking tiny steps, they are really beneficial and its helping.

The cbt is more about what you 'do' than what you 'feel'....

Princess 1982 1st January 2009 14:49

CBT - Thanks!

Wow, I am grateful for all the responses, personal experiences and advice regarding my question about CBT.

It feels good being a member of this site. Everyone has insightful information and hearing from people who are also trying or have tried CBT has given me hope. Its starting to help me face my problem - Social Anxiety.

We shall see what 2009 can bring to my life.

Princess.

Median 7th January 2009 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancess (Post 675147)
You can try this online audio CBT:

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/

Is this all free and any good?

I might try it later

Passionate 7th January 2009 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Median (Post 678606)
Is this all free and any good?

I might try it later

i did try it but didn't satisfy me..i have got some real stuff if u want them i can send you...

Median 7th January 2009 20:46

:) Please very interested in which ones you found benificial:thumbpur:

herb 2nd May 2009 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by [MiffyKoala] (Post 675467)
I'm doing cbt right now... it basically involves you facing your fears, like for me anxiety about going out alone, round the shops etc....
he explains how anxiety works and what not and gradually exposing yourself to going out alone. Im taking tiny steps, they are really beneficial and its helping.

The cbt is more about what you 'do' than what you 'feel'....

The exposures and countering my thoughts in the TEA forms have helped me immensely. You nailed it when you said that CBT is mor about what you do than what you feel:smash:

Celine 14th May 2009 02:31

Quote:

I recently finished a CBT group and it helped me a lot. You have to work pretty hard at the exercises between sessions but they help a great deal. Countering my thoughts in the TEA form exercise opened up my mind and a new (less anxious) world to me:)

CeeJay1981 16th May 2009 21:20

CBT is a good approach but requires fairly large amounts of FAITH and PERSISTENCE. You need faith that it is gonna work for you and persistence to keep going during the low times.

The most effective way to deal with social anxiety is to neutralize the EMOTIONAL component which makes things a hell of a lot easier.

Check out my site for a great tool to help you do this

Take it easy

Chris

mayo1 18th May 2009 19:46

Countering your thoughts and learning new ways of thinking that cause less anxiety. A lot of self discipline helps.

herb 13th June 2009 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayo1 (Post 750559)
Countering your thoughts and learning new ways of thinking that cause less anxiety. A lot of self discipline helps.

Self-discipline certainly does help because the more work we are able to do on ourselves the better our results are likely to be.

mayo1 25th June 2009 17:01

I was never great at self-discipline myself, but what helps me is putting them into my daily schedule then i tend to do them if i have that as a reminder. There definitely has been a cumulative effect for me.

mayo1 30th June 2009 02:04

Good for you and good luck lone dog. Once you buy into the counter thoughts it does start to reduce your anxieties a lot. Maybe you need help coming up with objective counter thoughts to buy into?

Celine 14th July 2009 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayo1 (Post 750559)

That is so right on the money. The better I am at being self disciplined about countering my thoughts in my TEA forms the more progress I make but I have a hard time sticking with them at times despite how much they help me. I tend to get complacent when things are going well and more diligent when I am in need of a boost:rolleyes:

WalkinTall 14th July 2009 22:10

I've been thinking of trying proper CBT myself. Would probably go private if I can afford it.

I tried livinglifetothefull.com but wasn't too impressed. It is a good resource but I found the guy just too boring! Saying that I was pretty frustrated at the time.

Another online one is Moodgym (http://moodgym.anu.edu.au)This is quite good.

dipetra 22nd July 2009 10:51

Hi there. I've also experienced the CBT. It really works! I found on the internet the online anxiety help which has the basis of the CBT and this CBT is given in a very intresting and easy way. This is where you can get to know more http://anxiety.coachteam.com I think that everything begins with your thoughts or cognitive action. By changing this one you can change a lot in your behaviour. I reduced my anxiety to meet new people and have a long term relationship with the help of this. Do you think that changing thoughts can change your habits?

Celine 31st July 2009 03:46

There is no doubt in my mind that changing how you process your thoughts can change your habits:hug2: The key is to stay on top of the thought countering exercises like your TEA forms because it took years to form the bad habits so they won't disappear forever without practice for awhile. The good news is you get a lot of initial relief pretty quickly:)

mayo1 9th August 2009 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celine (Post 781199)
There is no doubt in my mind that changing how you process your thoughts can change your habits:hug2: The key is to stay on top of the thought countering exercises like your TEA forms because it took years to form the bad habits so they won't disappear forever without practice for awhile. The good news is you get a lot of initial relief pretty quickly:)

Here, here Celine:smash:

Walkintall,
Persistence pays when it comes to CBT in my experience:)

Tim Ed 11th August 2009 23:31

I've done CBT, and it's helped me a lot. It worked best when I was with a Dr who really insisted on me changing my thought patterns, and really that was quite a revelation: finding out that I can learn to think (and feel) differently about a situation than I had for years.

On the other hand, once progress slowed down, I got depressed... It's never simple, is it? At least now I can use this technique and give advice to other people on how to feel less down, because lots of people can benefit from seeing things differently. I know some will say that you can't be your natural self anymore, if you've got to question your beliefs: that's true, it can be uncomfortable (but maybe it's the price for success?).

mayo1 29th August 2009 19:45

Great post with a lot of good info Tim Ed. My understanding is that to get the most out of CBT you have to keep countering your thoughts in the TEA forms even after you start to feel good again. The way it was explained to me is that your outlook was formed over many years and though dramatic changes can come pretty quickly, for them to stick they have to be used regularly or the old ways of thinking will overtake them eventually and you'll be back to square one again.

Celine 10th September 2009 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayo1 (Post 794434)
Great post with a lot of good info Tim Ed. My understanding is that to get the most out of CBT you have to keep countering your thoughts in the TEA forms even after you start to feel good again. The way it was explained to me is that your outlook was formed over many years and though dramatic changes can come pretty quickly, for them to stick they have to be used regularly or the old ways of thinking will overtake them eventually and you'll be back to square one again.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this, especially that last portion:dancing_b