SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd October 2014, 21:33

Default finding work

I noticed there have been a few threads lately about finding work.

I was wondering if people would get any value out of forming a group to help eachother find work and ways to stay in work? could be help with writing a CV, practice interview questions, sharing names of good recruitment agencies to go through or websites, general support and encouragement, giving advice on challenges that people might come across in a work setting.

I just went through the whole ordeal and it would've been nice having someone to talk to about it.
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:25

Default Re: finding work

Stoop! I miss London

I haven't got it yet. Had my final interview yesterday so now i'm just waiting. It's an office job as a master data administrator. Essentially lots of spreadsheet work and maintaining data objects behind the scenes in SAP.
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:46

sure you can call me master mwhahahaha nah jk. To be honest, if I don't get it I won't be sad or depressed. I will learn from it so I can do better next time. Trying to think positively

Are you looking for work? You should be a weather witch. Like make it rain and stuff. I'm sure there will be people willing to pay for that.
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:14

I found it hard making a start with looking for work because I had become too complacent and it was easier for me to stay in bed, play games or stay glued to the computer screen all day. Basically being ripped out of that situation and pushed into an uncertain environment I have been forced to do things that I normally would've shyed away from. I've kinda shot out of the arsehole of misery like a hard diarrhea and now feel much better on the other side of it. So my point is, I know how hard it is to make a start and to keep at it, but if you are aware of the fact that working is the right thing to do then that is a good first step in the right direction. But you have to be ready for it and take the bull by the horns so if your doctor has you signed off it might be a good thing to wait a bit?

come and eat the children here. I'm sure the children here vastly out number the adults lol
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:35

I knew you would like that little piece lol

Taking the leap and being 'thrown in it' might help you? Anyway, if you need some support with getting your mind straight so that you can take that leap hit me up.

Don't worry about taking up the thread, it will probably die, but I guess if people really want help they will ask for it in their own way.
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat36
Wow clayman.....have you moved tp new Zealand?
yeah came here last month. I'm from here so it was just like coming home for me
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:37

Mood
Daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayman
yeah came here last month. I'm from here so it was just like coming home for me
Happy you're home now, it can do wonders for you, all the best
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:40

^thanks Thai. I love it. It's just coming into summer here so I get two summers back-to- back.... hell yeahhhhh
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:27

12:27pm... 12 hours behind
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:35

well it's late for you but not for me
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:50

lol alright darklover
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:56

I didn't mean it as a compliment :P nah.. you should change it to that if you like it that much.
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:36

Mood
Woot

I'm thinking Agency work. Then again it depends where they put you, I would like to stay away from factories. I've got office experience but you have to have plenty of confidence if sorting things out via phone etc. Confidence isn't that high right now. Maybe food?
Old 3rd October 2014, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayman
I noticed there have been a few threads lately about finding work.

I was wondering if people would get any value out of forming a group to help eachother find work and ways to stay in work? could be help with writing a CV, practice interview questions, sharing names of good recruitment agencies to go through or websites, general support and encouragement, giving advice on challenges that people might come across in a work setting.

I just went through the whole ordeal and it would've been nice having someone to talk to about it.
I know this is a very old thread (8 years ago! yikes!) but I had the exact same idea as you as found it very helpful to have a sort of informal online support thread: http://www.social-anxiety-community....ad.php?t=10030

What sort of work are you looking for Clayman?
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooWeeMama
I'm thinking Agency work. Then again it depends where they put you, I would like to stay away from factories. I've got office experience but you have to have plenty of confidence if sorting things out via phone etc. Confidence isn't that high right now. Maybe food?
Have you tried any agencies Zoowee? What kind of office experience do you have? What kind of work would you do with food?
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
I know this is a very old thread (8 years ago! yikes!) but I had the exact same idea as you as found it very helpful to have a sort of informal online support thread: http://www.social-anxiety-community....ad.php?t=10030

What sort of work are you looking for Clayman?
Wow you have been around for a long time. I mean that in the nicest possible way of course the archives in the forum are a treasure trove. Thanks for sharing that thread.

I'm a bit of an oddball. I used to work for an electricity retailer doing office work so I want to go back to doing that, but at the same time I want to try a different industry or do something different with my life. I really want to start my own business too so I dont know really. I really enjoy working in operations or customer service.

Oh i heard back about this job I applied for and didnt get it. I dont think the recruitment agent was being honest with the feedback because she just repeated my own fears which I had already expressed to her after coming out of the interview. The lesson I have learnt is you cant trust recruitment agents! And I need to speak up more and try not to be afraid of being myself. I'm going to remain positive and not give up.

What do you do black mamba? Any tips you would give when dealing with recruitment agents?