Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd October 2013, 02:34

Default Ecotherapy

Quote:
What is ecotherapy?

Ecotherapy is the name given to a wide range of programmes that aim to promote good mental and physical wellbeing through outdoor activity in a green environment.

Being able to connect with nature has positive mental health benefits. And it has been shown that being more active in green environments can boost your mood and self-esteem far more than simply exercising alone. Ecotherapy sessions may include varying amounts of physical activity, depending on the type of programme. They are usually a group activity and are run by trained professionals.

Programmes may take place in both rural and urban settings, such as parks, farms and woodlands. They can include activities:

where getting involved with nature is the main focus, e.g. a conservation project or farming.
that are about experiencing nature, e.g. enjoying the views on a walk or cycling through some woodland.
For many people, ecotherapy can be used to help an existing mental health problem. For some, it has been beneficial in preventing the onset of mental ill-health, e.g. an episode of depression. It can be used alongside other treatments, such as talking therapies or medication, or on its own. Note: it is not advisable to suddenly stop a programme of therapy or come off psychiatric medication you have been taking. Always talk with your GP or psychiatrist about any changes in treatment you are considering, so that you can discuss the best options for you.
Spotted this on the Mind website and just wondered what people thought about this, I like the idea as I've always found walks in the beautiful British countryside just 100 yards down the road I live on to be very good for my mental wellbeing and I will always feel refreshed after a good walk. I've also in the last couple of years certainly appreciated the beauties of nature a lot more, so there's certainly a few programmes like conservation and 'wilderness therapy' that I think I'd enjoy and I did recently consider joining the wildlife trust. Plus it should be a great chance to interact with other like minded people as well. Just the only problem is I'm struggling so much to pluck up the courage to actually do these things at the moment lol.

Has anyone here tried out this programme or anything like this before?

http://www.mind.org.uk/news/show/981..._and_wellbeing

http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health...804_ecotherapy
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:30

Mood
Happy

Default Re: Ecotherapy

I couldn't agree more. Volunteering with the avon wildlife trust last summer really saved me. It gets you Mixing with other people and I have found people who do this kinda thing are really friendly. it's quite physical which is therapeutic in its self, going to town on a patch of bramble with a massive slasher really let's the frustrations out XD you learn new skills, I now have experience using a brush cutter and have learned loads about natural history, most trusts will also pay for training for key volunteers, I knew people who got chain saw licenses. And it is hard to place but there is just something therapeutic about being out in nature.

I now work casually for the wildlife trust and also full time with Bristol uni thanks to links I made while volunteering so I really cannot advocate it enough!
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:36

Mood
Curious

When I lived in Oxford I was a member of the Oxford Conservation Volunteers and it was a great icebreaker, getting stuck in to the practical work and then breaking for lunch. The social life was good too. They were mostly in their 20's and 30's so now that I have moved to North Wales and I am in my 40's I dare not join a local group because I think I might be one of the oldies.

I would be in the funny farm if it were not for my garden though. Making little habitats for hedgehogs and bugs and all sorts of stuff like that from bits of wood and recycled stuff, and then seeing little creatures moving in - it just cheers me up so much. Planting bulbs and then seeing bright flowers grow is rewarding too. I love working outside and even better getting my hands dirty.
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:05

Mood
Alienated

This is right up my street, it's just a case of getting in touch or turning up. I find it really daunting. I did once volunteer with the Sheffield Conservation Volunteers a cuple of years ago and enjoyed the day; I keep meaning to go back but I always find some excuse not to . I must just give myself a kick up the backside and go again one day soon.