Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th January 2015, 17:05

Mood
Fine

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

Got 28kg dumbells up on my chest yesterday and getting back in to running tommorow by joining the local running club tommorow as i plan to run for MIND in the great north run in september
Old 14th January 2015, 17:10
Banned

Mood
Scared

^ Good stuff Stabler. I want to buy 25k (50k) dumbells but i'm thinking, should I waste my money when i'm on a budget and just go to the gym for a £1 instead. Don't always feel like going to the gym though.
Old 14th January 2015, 17:17

Mood
Fine

Go to the gym, i go everyday and it helps my anxiety and overall mood, my gym is open til 11 at night so i tend to go late when its less busy and i can just get on with my workout, i make sure i keep going otherwise most of my days would just be in the house!
Old 14th January 2015, 17:18

Mood
Fine

I feel once am in a routine, theres not many days i don't feel like going.
Old 11th February 2015, 23:31

Mood
Sad

I design my own gym programs, after all there's no one else who knows my body and my capabilities than me.

No point on working on machines, or weights when the exercise bores you to tears.

I find cv far more enjoyable and addictive than the weights.

I can easily lose an hour on the treadmill or cross-trainer.

I do 3 90 minute sessions a week.
Old 14th February 2015, 13:15

Got my 6b+ project on the comp wall climbing the other night (been working on it for rather a long time!) and very nearly led another 6b+ as well.
Old 11th April 2015, 19:45

i've been gradually getting back into the swing of things lately: d/lifts, pull/chin ups, dips, sticking to a running regime and mixing that up with some hiit training. however, i intend to not push myself too hard (or, at least, nowhere near as hard as i have done in the past), mainly for injury prevention reasons but also because i don't want to end up getting jaded due to the stress of it all.

i want to train smart, not be a meathead : /
Old 12th April 2015, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineofswords
^ sounds good. been wanting to get myself a chin up bar as I need to work my back better, I know that the person that owns the house I live in will kick up a stink if I start putting bars around the doorframes. so kind of making do with some other diy versions. not ideal though.
I'm just lucky that I live in a place with really old door frames that could support the weight of a f*****g elephant xD would you consider using something outdoors, like those monkey bar things? just go there when there's noone about. it's all you need, really.

how's your hiit training, going?
Old 30th April 2015, 13:26

Mood
Fine

If anyone wants to make some real progress, don't do a split designed by lying roid users. You can workout the same muscle group 3 times a week, especially as a beginner.

Do Stronglifts 5x5, or ICF 5x5 (yes a roid user, but is open about it and loads of naturals have had excellent results).

I am currently doing Stronglifts 3x5, with Ab Wheel and Hypers added to A, Chins and Face Pulls added to B.

Doing 20 different curls ain't gonna do squat (see what I did?).
Old 13th June 2015, 15:40

Mood
Pensive

I'm nowhere near as hardcore as some of the people here but I do want to try and have some kind of exercises regime and try and make a different to my fitness.

In April I starting doing a Zumba class twice a week which I'm really enjoying and it's been good to get me out the house. The trouble I'm having is I'm not really seeing a difference. I'd love to be able to say I was dropping pounds each week.

So I'm going to try and do some sit ups everyday as well and try an exercises DVD I've got a copy of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred I'm going to try (although it was really hard the first time I tried) and hope that will make a difference.

Of course my main problem will always be food I'll always be a snacker especially when I'm bored.

Will try and track my progress as a way to keep motivated.
Old 14th June 2015, 08:41

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence
Of course my main problem will always be food
Sigh, same here

I don't know anything about that 30 Day Shred thing, but just remember that fat loss comes down to more energy expended than consumed (calories). The best way to get a good estimate is to use a TDEE calculator, then take off 20% max. I found going beyond 20% just makes me too tired and depressed.
Old 14th June 2015, 10:26

^ My previous housemate loved the Jillian Michael workout dvds. First time will be hard, but you should see a massive improvement throughout the month. Don't be disheartened if you have an off day with the workout!

Glad you're enjoying zumba
Old 14th June 2015, 16:22

For those that go running, what time of day do you go and how often a week?

I've been trying to take up running for ages but I always get too self conscious and only end up doing it every now and again.
Old 14th June 2015, 17:09

^ I either go early in the morning or in the evening. Generally I run after work, but before dinner. Try a few different times and see what works for you. I like it after work, because I find it removes all the stress from the day. I tend to run along a canal (usually not many people) or in a park.

I would recommend the C25K program on the NHS website, if you haven't already tried it. I started off running 3 times a week as a beginner, and the program really helped with running motivation. Started it in January, kept up with it, and began running 5km easily by March. Am now able to run 10km.

I now do about 3-4 runs a week. Rest days are very important. Have you tried a park run before?
Old 14th June 2015, 17:29

I signed up to do a charity 10K next month and I'm so not ready. Anyone got any tips of how to build up my stamina?
Old 14th June 2015, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisgirl
^ I either go early in the morning or in the evening. Generally I run after work, but before dinner. Try a few different times and see what works for you. I like it after work, because I find it removes all the stress from the day. I tend to run along a canal (usually not many people) or in a park.

I would recommend the C25K program on the NHS website, if you haven't already tried it. I started off running 3 times a week as a beginner, and the program really helped with running motivation. Started it in January, kept up with it, and began running 5km easily by March. Am now able to run 10km.

I now do about 3-4 runs a week. Rest days are very important. Have you tried a park run before?
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the C25k thing. I haven't tried in a park because I live in a seaside town and the seafront is closer so I've generally tried to run along there. I've only tried running in the morning so I'll have to give running in the evening a go. Thanks.
Old 14th June 2015, 19:22

Mood
Happy

Has anybody tried the insanity workout? It is so hard! I want the tshirt!
Old 14th June 2015, 22:20

I've tried the P90X one by same guy.
Unfortunately I can't get the t-shirt as I didn't buy it. Not that I completed it anyway :P
Old 15th June 2015, 19:51

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisgirl
^ My previous housemate loved the Jillian Michael workout dvds. First time will be hard, but you should see a massive improvement throughout the month. Don't be disheartened if you have an off day with the workout!

Glad you're enjoying zumba
Thanks I'm going to try and start soon I'll probably only do it on days when I'm not a Zumba which should hopefully help me not get stick of it at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity
Sigh, same here

I don't know anything about that 30 Day Shred thing, but just remember that fat loss comes down to more energy expended than consumed (calories). The best way to get a good estimate is to use a TDEE calculator, then take off 20% max. I found going beyond 20% just makes me too tired and depressed.
ah yeah thanks I forget that there's a real science behind it. I've tried calorie counting before but it just told me I wasn't getting enough of course it wasn't on a day when I snacked a lot. I'll have a play with the calculator
Old 18th June 2015, 14:01

Mood
Fine

^ Yeah, I always forget to add those two bars of 200g dairy milk whatever I binge on

Runners! don't forget to learn forefoot running! You don't want mush for knees in 10-20 years, I know two runners that had to have operations and one with both replaced.
Old 25th June 2015, 20:17

^ Thanks for the forefoot running tip.
Old 24th July 2015, 18:26

I just broke my personal best on the rowing machine, clocking 7.35k in 30mins

I'm not deliberately setting out to do so neither, but the computer - from the very first stroke - automatically predicts how many meters you're set to achieve in a 30min period, judging by your current pace, so, if i'm going particularly well and notice that i'm on for a PB, then i just try to keep pace.

Tis bloody hard work, though. I'm not a half-arsed sort of person when it comes to aerobic exercise, which means that i'm almost operating in top gear anyway. Doubt i'd be able to get much more out of myself.
Old 3rd August 2015, 00:12

Okay, so I bought Charles Bronson's Solitary Fitness book. At first I didn't think much of it, but my opinion has changed. It is essentially a "prison" workout regime, which relies mainly on bodyweight training, of various sorts.

The first day consisted of push ups, sit ups, squats, squat lunges, burpees, more push ups, and specific exercises that Bronson utilises. So, there are A LOT of exercises in one session.

Just finished the first day today, and it was very intense, but rewarding. Hardest session in a long time. It's a 32 day workout plan (workout every day of the week apart from one rest day), and it gets harder and harder as it goes on. It looks very intense.

I'm going to try and make it to day 32. I want to achieve that. Bring it on!

edit: just a side note: I'm not going to weigh myself until after the last session on day 32, and then compare.

Current weight: 190 pounds.
Old 13th October 2015, 15:29

I've started wearing these ankle strap weights while walking the dog. Its a good workout when doing steep inclines and you can strap them to your arms too for upper body exercises.
Old 13th October 2015, 18:28

^ You've reminded me into looking at weighted vests, which i'm doing now. Looking at the 30kg ones ... i'd be as heavy as a rugby player!

How heavy are you ankle weights?
Old 13th October 2015, 18:34

^ do you going running while wearing your vest?
Old 13th October 2015, 18:45

I'll be walking/hiking with it, maybe pull-ups, some squats. I've never used one before, so i'll start with walking first
Old 14th October 2015, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
^ You've reminded me into looking at weighted vests, which i'm doing now. Looking at the 30kg ones ... i'd be as heavy as a rugby player!

How heavy are you ankle weights?
Only 2kg each but i'm finding it hard going as i'm quite fat and unfit at the moment. Those weighted vests look cool. I'd like to wear one of those while doing my star jumps.
Old 14th October 2015, 14:49

Ah, you'll soon get accustomed to it, i'm sure, the body is a pretty awesome bit of kit... unless you abuse it :/ 2kg's sounds like a safe weight to start with. Hope it goes well for you!
Old 14th October 2015, 16:12

Mood
Cheeky

I have started to do some hill running recently. Surprised my body accepts it. Well it doesn't really, but I can just do a little bit.

Oh and weight lifting? Do it long enough and even small weights can develop muscle. It worked for me.