Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th July 2007, 00:20

Mood
Balanced

Default I think I deserve a trophy...

...even though of course my inner voice is saying "You? Trophy? Ha! The very idea!"

Anyway, the reason I do deserve a trophy (I think) is that recently I managed to go to a wedding. It was the first proper social engagement I have been to in many years and I was dreading it, especially as there would be so many people there that I had not seen in a long time (people I had avoided seeing).

Usually I just decline to go to such events, or if I have to go then I avoid thinking about it until suddenly its upon me and then I go into a panic.

But this time I tried to prepare myself by thinking of things to say, and guessing the sort of questions I would be asked; the usual ones like "what have you been up to?", "what are you doing at the moment?", you know, small-talk questions like that, which always cause me something of a difficulty.

I found that people were mostly very kind and understanding, which was surprising and nice. I'm sure I came across as anxious and awkard, but at least I was there and managed to maintain a couple of halting conversations.

It was difficult but perhaps not as awful as I feared. I managed to do a semi-convincing impression of a normal person for one day, which is quite a novel experience for me.

Now, if only I can find three more weddings and also a funeral to go to, then I will have the perfect thread title.
Old 29th July 2007, 15:33
I.G.

Default Re: I think I deserve a trophy...

Very well done
Old 30th July 2007, 23:55

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: I think I deserve a trophy...

Thank you Nadiapeace, Intro Guy and Shallah for your replies. When can I expect to receive the trophy? And how much is postage and packaging?

Unfortunately I haven't been feeling too good after this little bit of success but I'm going to post about that in the main SA forum.

In the mean time, heres a dancing banana
Closed Thread