SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th July 2011, 23:40

Mood
Lurking

Default Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.

I know one or two people on the forum are interested in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). I'm on the mailing list of Dr Russ Harris, the Author of the book The Happiness Trap. Anyway, on the latest email there is a youtube interview with Dr Harris talking about ACT/mindfulness. It's 30 mins long, but might be useful to anyone interested.

He doesn't speak about SA in particular, but does talk generally about anxiety and troublesome thoughts.

Old 7th July 2011, 23:43

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.

I really liked his book and some general Buddhist teacheings mentioned in there. will give this a watch at some point!
Old 7th July 2011, 23:49

Mood
Lurking

^

I've been reading ACT text books, but have just started The Happiness Trap this week. I love the approach. The video doesn't go into any real depth, but may still be worth a watch if you have the spare time. I've read the demons on a ship metaphor loads of times, but the way he describes it on the video makes it so clear.
Old 7th July 2011, 23:56

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica
^

I've been reading ACT text books, but have just started The Happiness Trap this week. I love the approach. The video doesn't go into any real depth, but may still be worth a watch if you have the spare time. I've read the demons on a ship metaphor loads of times, but the way he describes it on the video makes it so clear.
Yeah I like it. i was upset as I bought it as an ebook but unfortuateky I formatted my computer and puff was gone. To me it's a practical 'Power of Now' type book. obviously that's over simplifying it. i also like the way it talks about having important goals. really recommend the book.
Old 8th July 2011, 17:53

Wow. Thank you for posting this Benfica,perfect timing for me personally. A lot of what he said was really eye-opening and inspiring,while at the same time explained in such an easy almost familiar way.
I`d never heard of him,his books or even ACT so I`m now off to investigate further
Old 9th July 2011, 02:09

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinterrupted
Wow. Thank you for posting this Benfica,perfect timing for me personally. A lot of what he said was really eye-opening and inspiring,while at the same time explained in such an easy almost familiar way.
I`d never heard of him,his books or even ACT so I`m now off to investigate further
Oh, that's great.

I'm glad it was useful. Yes, I really do like the way he speaks and puts over how he uses ACT. His book, The Happiness trap, has its own website. http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/

If you feel like looking into ACT a bit more there is a website called contextual psychology http://contextualpsychology.org/act and this has information about the model.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:12

Mood
Worried

Thank you for sharing this video, I loved it. I have a long list of books I would like to read and I never know what to read first or if I have time for it all. I feel like this may have shot to the number one spot. I have been wondering if labeling myself as 'suffering' from 'SA' is not a good idea and if I should take a general mindful approach to life. This video listed so many inspiring points, I cant list them. But I feel less like 'there is something wrong with me' and more like I am normal. I know I find it very difficult to concentrate on anything or when anyone is speaking to me, I get caught up in thoughts, worries and how I feel, so I think learning to be mindful and accepting would help me a great deal.

Thankd for the website link too, I have just subscribed to the happiness trap mailing list.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:48

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheldawn
Thank you for sharing this video, I loved it. I have a long list of books I would like to read and I never know what to read first or if I have time for it all. I feel like this may have shot to the number one spot. I have been wondering if labeling myself as 'suffering' from 'SA' is not a good idea and if I should take a general mindful approach to life. This video listed so many inspiring points, I cant list them. But I feel less like 'there is something wrong with me' and more like I am normal. I know I find it very difficult to concentrate on anything or when anyone is speaking to me, I get caught up in thoughts, worries and how I feel, so I think learning to be mindful and accepting would help me a great deal.

Thankd for the website link too, I have just subscribed to the happiness trap mailing list.
Hi racheldawn,

I'm really happy that the link/video feels useful to you.

Although the vast majority of what I've read on ACT is from the perspective of learning the approach in order to practice it with clients, I have read The Happiness Trap and I loved it. There is an ACT-based workbook out there that I've heard a few people recommend. Called 'Get Out of Your Mind and into Your Life' if I recall correctly. If I can find an Amazon link I'll post it so you can check it out.

I wish you well and hope you find ACT as useful to you as I find it to me.

Edit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Your-Min.../dp/1572244259

Last edited by Ajax Amsterdam; 9th January 2012 at 17:53. Reason: to add link
Old 9th January 2012, 21:05

Mood
Worried

Thank you for the link, I have read a few reviews of the book and it all sounds positive. I have added to my amazon 'wish list' for future reference. The ideas expressed in the video really made sence to me and inspired me throughout today. Thank you!
Old 9th January 2012, 22:28

Mood
Dreaming

Hi Benifca, I'd just like to repeat the sentiments of the previous posters in thanking you for posting that video. Due to a massive depression around Christmas time I'm at a crossroads in wanting to start the long road to recovery but feeling a little at odds with how to go about it. I'm looking at CBT but have always had reservations that it'll have the desired effect. I'm in the position of wanting help but not being convinced it'll help. This video has put a lot of these misconceptions in perspective. And has drawn parallels with Buddhist teachings that I may not of fully understood before. I thought the understanding that "this will pass" ment just put up with all the pain and know it'll end soon, rather than avoid interacting with the emotion and creating all the extra pain (drama) takes away 90 percent of the suffering automatically. The part about accepting the anxiety and not fighting it was an eye opener for me, I hope I can build on this enthusiasm. I've ordered the book, it was only about 3.20 including postage. I think becoming absorbed in these techniques can possibly kill two birds with one stone, control anxiety, push my comfort zone, and also help create genuine topics of conversation that can be multifaceted and applicable in many different situations and environments. After all this information seems to speak to the very core of human experience.
Bless you
Old 10th January 2012, 20:08

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheldawn
Thank you for the link, I have read a few reviews of the book and it all sounds positive. I have added to my amazon 'wish list' for future reference. The ideas expressed in the video really made sence to me and inspired me throughout today. Thank you!
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke78
Hi Benifca, I'd just like to repeat the sentiments of the previous posters in thanking you for posting that video. Due to a massive depression around Christmas time I'm at a crossroads in wanting to start the long road to recovery but feeling a little at odds with how to go about it. I'm looking at CBT but have always had reservations that it'll have the desired effect. I'm in the position of wanting help but not being convinced it'll help. This video has put a lot of these misconceptions in perspective. And has drawn parallels with Buddhist teachings that I may not of fully understood before. I thought the understanding that "this will pass" ment just put up with all the pain and know it'll end soon, rather than avoid interacting with the emotion and creating all the extra pain (drama) takes away 90 percent of the suffering automatically. The part about accepting the anxiety and not fighting it was an eye opener for me, I hope I can build on this enthusiasm. I've ordered the book, it was only about 3.20 including postage. I think becoming absorbed in these techniques can possibly kill two birds with one stone, control anxiety, push my comfort zone, and also help create genuine topics of conversation that can be multifaceted and applicable in many different situations and environments. After all this information seems to speak to the very core of human experience.
Bless you
Hi Luke,

I'm sorry to hear about the period of depression you've been going through recently. I hope you gain from reading and practicing ACT. It's no cure-all, no therapy is. But for those who find the approach resonates with them it can be really useful. The Happiness Trap is a very easy to read self-help type of book, but there is a number of books out there that go into it deeper for those who'd like to do so. There are also loads of books out there on mindfulness, which does play a big part in ACT.

Russ Harris has a few ACT-based books available, and so too has Steven Hayes. Hayes is one of the main pioneers of ACT.

Anyway, I hope you find ACT helpful. If we are ever going to improve I suppose we have to try things, and even if we feel it didn't quite do it for us the experience of trying it can bring some positives and new perspectives in itself. All the best with it, and thank you for your reply.

EDIT: just spotted this animation on youtube of the 'demons on a boat' metaphor used in ACT. The second video is from a metaphor used by Steven Hayes. 'Brian' plays the part of your anxiety/blushing or whatever.

Last edited by Ajax Amsterdam; 10th January 2012 at 20:20. Reason: added a link.
Old 12th January 2012, 23:13

Mood
Lurking

Just bumping the thread and adding a link to Russ Harris' 'ACT Mindfully' website for anyone who is interested.

http://www.actmindfully.com.au/
Old 14th January 2012, 22:35

Mood
Breezy

Thanks for posting all the links Benfica, this has definetely helped me a little and given me a new way to look at certain things.
Old 15th January 2012, 04:11

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard91
Thanks for posting all the links Benfica, this has definetely helped me a little and given me a new way to look at certain things.
You're welcome, Shepard91. I'm glad the thread was useful to you in some way. All the best to you.
Old 15th January 2012, 20:14

Mood
Lurking

Another shameless bump of this thread to add another link to ACT-related stuff. The site has lots of other stuff on it too, that might be of use to people.

It's the Get.gg Therapy Resource and has lots more than ACT on there. Check out the list down the left hand side of the page.

http://www.get.gg/act.htm

Another link. This one is an overview of the ACT model. It's a pdf doc and fairly long, but some may be interested in it enough to wade through it, so I'll post it anyway.

http://www.actmindfully.com.au/upima...iew_of_ACT.pdf
Old 12th April 2012, 00:50

Mood
Lurking

I've just had another newsletter from Dr Russ Harris and there are some more Youtube videos of Russ speaking on ACT that some may find of interest.

'ACT in a nutshell' metaphor.

'Hands as thoughts' metaphor.

Self-Acceptance Versus Self-Esteem.

Creative Hopelessness.
Old 12th April 2012, 13:08

Mood
Dreaming

Hi Benfica, thanks for the useful links.
I'm really interested in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, buddhism, mindfulness and acceptance. The way of thinking is very appealing to me.

CBT was excellent on a educationally level but i was unable to get any comfort or change anything from it.

I've listened to a few audio books and read a fair bit on the internet. I also do Pilates at the gym which is aimed at breathing, mindfulness and refreshing the mind and body.

I find it hard to sit and read so will never get through those books
Being local I wondered if you knew any courses or groups I could go to in our local area. In a group it would give me the push I need to to further educate myself and put it into practise.

Hope to see more of your posts on the subject.
Best wishes
Old 12th April 2012, 13:56

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ll
Hi Benfica, thanks for the useful links.
I'm really interested in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, buddhism, mindfulness and acceptance. The way of thinking is very appealing to me.

CBT was excellent on a educationally level but i was unable to get any comfort or change anything from it.

I've listened to a few audio books and read a fair bit on the internet. I also do Pilates at the gym which is aimed at breathing, mindfulness and refreshing the mind and body.

I find it hard to sit and read so will never get through those books
Being local I wondered if you knew any courses or groups I could go to in our local area. In a group it would give me the push I need to to further educate myself and put it into practise.

Hope to see more of your posts on the subject.
Best wishes
Hi paul,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the whole thing appeals to me too. The approach is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned. I have liked CBT in the past, but I feel this still leaves you in conflict with thoughts. The ACT approach of being mindful of thoughts without fusing with them just feels so much more realistic and less confrontational to me. As good as CBT can be, ACT just suits my personal make-up a lot better.

I struggle with books too, although I've just acquired another ACT-based book by Russ Harris called The Confidence Gap. As always with Russ, he presents the approach in a very easy to read fashion. I had an interview on Tuesday and I was terrified. I almost didn't attend because I felt so physically ill with anxiety, but reading the book the night before helped me on the day. I'm not the best of readers, but I can seem to stick in there with his books.

Courses and groups? If you mean on ACT itself then no, I don't unfortunately. I want to train in ACT so I can practice it privately, but I'll have to go to London to do the workshops.

One place I do know of if you are interested in Buddhism, meditation, mindfulness etc is the Duldzin Buddhist Centre in Sefton Park, Liverpool. There are links on their site to meditation classes in places like Crosby, Maghull and Formby. A small fee is involved there, but I think if you do it at the Duldzin it might be free, although you'd have to check that out to be certain. If you check out their site you may find something of interest. Apologies if you are already aware of this centre. Anyway, it's right on Sefton Park. I go past it regularly as my partner lives just up the road.

Link - http://www.meditationinliverpool.org.uk/

I hope this is useful in some way.

If I come across anything ACT-related in our local area I'll post it in here, but as of now I'm finding it very thin on the ground in the north of the country.

All the best, Paul.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:58

Mood
Dreaming

thank you very much! i'll pop in to 1 of those drop in classes and see where it leads.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:10

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ll
thank you very much! i'll pop in to 1 of those drop in classes and see where it leads.
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it and get something out of the experience.

All the best with it.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:21

Mood
Mellow

Default re Mindfulness Books

I went to a Mindfulness session last year and really enjoyed it and thought I'd learn more about it. I like that it is based on ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy as I think acceptance has been a huge part of recovery for me. I'm not SA free, but I seem to be managing things better.

Anyway, someone recommended some books to me, by Dr Russ Harris:
The Happiness Trap - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184529825...sl_bgeqacvnh_b

The Confidence Gap - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Confiden...629830-4107641

I downloaded the free sample chapters for both from Amazon and really liked them. I have bought the confidence one as that's what I need right now and am really enjoying it so far.

There are other free resources available here:
http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/
Old 1st March 2014, 15:53

Mood
Lurking

Hi everyone,

Although I don't use the site these days I pop in occasionally to read a few threads. Anyway, I thought I'd revisit my old ACT thread as I know a few people here were interested in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy when I was posting here and I've come across a recently published book on the subject of ACT and Social Anxiety and Shyness.

I don't have the book as yet, so can't vouch for it as such, but I thought I'd just mention that it's out there. I notice much talk of Mundfulness on sites these days, and this is a big component of ACT, so people into Mindfulness might find ACT useful to them also.

Anyway, the book is - The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Social Anxiety and Shyness, by Jan E. Fleming and Nancy L. Kocovski.

Hopefully this link to Amazon UK will work - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-...itment+therapy

All the best, everyone.

David.
Old 1st March 2014, 16:06

Hey Benfica,good to see you,hope you`re doing well

Just thought I`d say that ACT is still helping me,now with the thought (mental compulsion rather than physical compulsion) side of my OCD,`tis the gift that keeps on giving
Old 1st March 2014, 16:26

Mood
Lurking

Hi girlinterrupted,

I'm doing ok thanks, I hope you are well, too, I'm glad that ACT is still helping you. That's really good to hear. I hope it continues to do so. I think it's a great approach, and it's also still helping me a lot too.

I actually had CBT recently after having a rather big personal crisis, and that was very helpful too, but I still prefer ACT. Suppose we have to find the best fit for us personally, don't we?

Oh, before I go, Russ Harris (author of The Happiness Trap) has recently published a follow-up book called ''The Happiness Trap Pocketbook''. It's a cartoon illustrated book that covers all the basics of the original book in a very easy to access form. A sort of easy to dip into refresher if you need to get back on track. Some readers of the original book may find this version of use. I know I did.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happiness-Tr...ds=russ+harris

All the best.
Old 1st March 2014, 17:22

^ Good to see you
Old 12th March 2014, 15:50

Mood
Lurking

^ Thanks, Progress.

ACT therapist Russ Harris doing a talk on acceptance. Might be useful to some.

And again, on the subject of confidence.

Old 1st October 2014, 16:25

Mood
Lurking

I've just come across an animation of another ACT metaphor called 'Passengers on a Bus'. It's very similar to the previous one called 'Demons on a Boat'.

The general message being that we all have minds that tell stories about us. Such as the ''I'm not good enough'' story. Or the ''I'll fail'' story. We often take these stories literally, and stop going in our chosen life directions because of them.

We can believe that life will be ok only once we erradicate these stories our minds manufacture. So we enter into a life-long struggle with our own minds. Even doing therapies such as CBT brings us into constant conflict with our own minds. Forever trying to overturn and dispute what the mind is saying.

This ACT metaphor is suggesting another way, where we make room for the annoying passengers (thoughts/feelings/stories etc) but follow our life values and the directions in life associated with those values. We don't have to like the 'passengers' but we make room for them and carry on regardless.

Anyway, I hope it's useful to someone.

Another animation on the same theme;

Old 25th August 2015, 22:59

Mood
Lurking

Just got another video from Russ Harris.

This is about the difference between Goal-Based living and Values-Based living.

In ACT, the focus is on Values-Based living.

Old 25th August 2015, 23:45

It is late and I am too tired to watch the vids, but thank you for introducing me to this Ajax. I am certain mindfulness is the way to go, but I want to combine it with some form of therapy. Right now my anxiety is so insane and out of control that I cannot meditate, but I'm planning to take an 8 week course in mindfulness as soon as I get a window. My biggest problem is regret and difficulty accepting the past, so this sounds perfect- exactly what I've been looking for
Old 26th August 2015, 01:12

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
It is late and I am too tired to watch the vids, but thank you for introducing me to this Ajax. I am certain mindfulness is the way to go, but I want to combine it with some form of therapy. Right now my anxiety is so insane and out of control that I cannot meditate, but I'm planning to take an 8 week course in mindfulness as soon as I get a window. My biggest problem is regret and difficulty accepting the past, so this sounds perfect- exactly what I've been looking for
You're welcome. I hope you find it useful.

Let us know how you get on with the course when you do it.

Take care, Moksha.