Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st January 2013, 20:19

Mood
Sneaky

Default deadlift personal best milestone

hit the 100kg today

its not that impressive really but i have built this up from a position of extreme leg injury where even doing bodyweight squats (ie unweighted) left me in agony for over a week afterwards. i am still attending physio for foot and leg problems but basically, although my legs, feet (and as a result, back) are all still screwed up, i'm able to lift an amount i'd never have been able to lift before, safely, and with excellent form

good metaphor - like i say i am coming from a position of having been completely trashed physically, and now i am doing something i'd never been able to do before in my life. i have just kept at it regularly and built it up over time. it wasn't even that long ago that 60kg seemed impossible to me.

so yeah. stoked. so yeah, i'm sure there's something related to recovering from bad mental health in all of this

what was cool about this pb was my brother was here to witness it, he has deadlifted over 200kg before but yeah he was there to comment on my form and the level of difficulty he witnessed, he reckoned i had about 4 or 5 reps at that weight in me, but i cant push it too hard because my job is waay stressy on the legs.

it did feel a good bit harder than what i've done before (previous pb was 85kg (but i did 4 reps at that weight )), but i wasnt exactly straining, all the strength i needed was there and then some more.

gonna maybe drop down to 90 next time and do a couple of doubles.

so yeah, physical rehabilitation up in this!
Old 1st January 2013, 20:31
davehedgehog

Default Re: deadlift personal best milestone

well done seth

you could practise by deadlifting your motorbike that must be about 100kg's.
Old 1st January 2013, 21:27

Mood
Sneaky

thankyou

incidentally my bike got blown over the other day, picking it back up was negligible
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:05

220lbs! Well done. What regime are you following? I've done a bit of reading here and there and i'll be starting with Starting Strength (Rippetoe) in the next month or so (if this garage ever gets cleared due to circumstances beyond my control).
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:46

Mood
Sneaky

lol pounds are for the delusional xD

i'm not following a regime really, i made one up myself. i do deads, chins, shoulder press, press ups, thats kinda my core stuff
Old 14th January 2013, 13:49

Mood
Sneaky

i'm doing 100 for 3 tomorrow
Old 14th January 2013, 20:26

Old 14th January 2013, 20:29

Mood
Sneaky

^

dooooood! i might be going to a meathead gym with my brother tomorrow! which means i'll be lifting that weight about 4 inches less than usual!
Old 15th January 2013, 15:28

Mood
Sneaky

make that 100 for 4. time i got serious, it aint nuthin but a peanut
Old 15th January 2013, 15:35

Nice one seth, keep up the good work!

Got half of my stuff delivered today. Watch out, give it a few days and i'll be coming for your numbers
Old 15th January 2013, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
dooooood! i might be going to a meathead gym with my brother tomorrow! which means i'll be lifting that weight about 4 inches less than usual!
Ha, yeah. The bar on our weights is practically touching the floor, man. Go show those noobs how it's done.

Seriously, though, those guys are insane. Doesn't your bro know someone who squats 800lbs, or something? (like, for real. this isn't a ronnie coleman refrence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBobson
Got half of my stuff delivered today. Watch out, give it a few days and i'll be coming for your numbers
What sort of stuff are you getting?
Old 15th January 2013, 16:34
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Decided to deadlift properly today for the first time in about 3 years, got my bro to record it so may post the vid later.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun
Decided to deadlift properly today for the first time in about 3 years, got my bro to record it so may post the vid later.
When you say "properly", do you mean you went heavier than usual, or something? Because, if you haven't done deadlifts for so long, you'll certainly want to go very light to begin with.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:58
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
When you say "properly", do you mean you went heavier than usual, or something? Because, if you haven't done deadlifts for so long, you'll certainly want to go very light to begin with.
I mean I've only just got back in to weights recently and haven't done full deadlifts, but I have done some stiff leg deads during that time.
Old 15th January 2013, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
What sort of stuff are you getting?
300lb cast iron weight set with 7ft olympic barbell (which literally just got delivered), adjustable bench, weightlifting shoes, couple of Rippetoe books, power cage, dipping belt, goofy-looking head harness and chalk. I might not do much, but when i do, i do it right!

Got my program sorted and everything (Starting Strength) too. I may not have lifted a weight in my life, but god dammnit i'm 6'6" with broad shoulders so i've got the building blocks. It's nice to finally have something i actually care about to dedicate my life to. Self-improvement means a whole lot more when it's visible!
Old 15th January 2013, 17:33
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Anyway I uploaded the vid, not sure how long I will keep it up though, and wasn't sure where to put it.

http://www.social-anxiety-community....58#post1665258
Old 18th January 2013, 14:18

Mood
Breezy

Well done Seth, good work sir! What sort of weights are you using? I ask because if they are small plates it will bring the bar closer to the ground and make it much harder. Even a couple of inches lower can take 20% off your lifts. So you may be even stronger than you think!
Quote:
I may not have lifted a weight in my life, but god dammnit i'm 6'6" with broad shoulders so i've got the building blocks.
With that build I predict you'll have a good bench press (unless you have really long arms) and if you have relatively long arms to leg length a good deadlift too but you'll probably struggle with squats so don't be too disappointed. Good luck with your training goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun
Anyway I uploaded the vid, not sure how long I will keep it up though, and wasn't sure where to put it.

http://www.social-anxiety-community....58#post1665258
ah no video anymore. I have some vids of my training lifts but none of my PR's. My DL PR was 200kg, probably wouldn't have got the green lights at a sanctioned meet but good enough for me. That was many years ago, I doubt I could pull 100kg these days.
Old 20th January 2013, 10:43

Mood
Sneaky

thanks, fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Well done Seth, good work sir! What sort of weights are you using? I ask because if they are small plates it will bring the bar closer to the ground and make it much harder. Even a couple of inches lower can take 20% off your lifts. So you may be even stronger than you think!
hehe, yeah i bveen aware of this but only recejntly realised JUST how pronounced this effect is going to be when i get along and use proper size weights. i recently got some vinyl 10kg and they have a bit larger diameter than my old metal 10s, but i'm still stooping a couple of inches lower that necessary at that as well as this, when i did 100 for four, that includes LOWERING the weight, not just dropping it

the thing is, although my PB is always going up, i havent maxed out yet...my physio is ongoing and i do a very strenuous job so i have to move forward slowly, i cant be going to work in agony. in effect i'm still finding out what i can do.

this week i'm gonna try 105 and 110 if thats ok. i am ever more aware too that i am lifting that mofo in an upstairs flat with a wooden floor...

Quote:
My DL PR was 200kg, probably wouldn't have got the green lights at a sanctioned meet but good enough for me. That was many years ago, I doubt I could pull 100kg these days.
man, i dunno if i'll ever reach the 200, thats beast! whats been happening to keep you away from the weights, life just get in the way? i do sometimes think about whats gonna happen to my lifting when i'm back working full time
Old 21st January 2013, 20:29

This is now officially the weight training thread!

Just did my very first of all time (ever ever ever!) weight session. Nice and simple, Starting Strength. 3 sets 5 reps Squat, 3x5 Bench Press, 1x5 Deadlift.

Seeing as i've effectively sat down for years with borderline zero exercise (walking to the fridge and the very occasional shag aside ), my results weren't exactly anything to be proud of. With an empty bar (20kg/45lbs) my squat form was far too shitty to genuinely count (it's the hip drahve that ****s me - down is easy, up is hard; but at least i got below parallel), benching was actually really fun and seemed at the right level to provide a challenge but be doable (will be adding weight next time as such) and deadlifting wasn't properly done because despite a few plates underneath and no bumper plates (just a few babby 1.25s and the 2.5 collars) made it impossible to get back position right, obviously i could lift it alright but i'm really focusing on learning proper form. I'll have to sort the height out for next time. Wednesday will be 3x5 Squat (hopefully), 3x5 Seated (low ceiling) Press, 3x5 Pendlay Row, alternating workouts for Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

From humble beginnings and all that Really glad to have started!
Old 21st January 2013, 20:52

Mood
Sneaky

^ can i just say that whatever your program is telling you, you NEED to go EXTREMELY EASY, probably for at least a few months. if you have noone experienced there to look at your form, and you have not done any of this training before, the potential for you to completely destroy your body is VERY high.

my brother has been training for years and years among people who hold records in their weight classes, strongman competitors and so on. even with all this experience he has recently injured his back, and doesnt know how serious it is yet.

i think that there is a huge number of people who start doing strength training and completely ruin their body for the rest of their life.

just be sure you are confident in what you are doing before pushing on too hard, dude, you arent going to get many sessions in if you SNAP YO SHIT UP.

that'd be my advice, anyway.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:55

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
as well as this, when i did 100 for four, that includes LOWERING the weight, not just dropping it
That's why bumper plates are my favourite, just let them bounce off the floor
Quote:
man, i dunno if i'll ever reach the 200, thats beast! whats been happening to keep you away from the weights, life just get in the way? i do sometimes think about whats gonna happen to my lifting when i'm back working full time
I think you'll surprise yourself Seth as long as you manage to stay healthy. I hardly trained the DL, once every couple of weeks, just regular grip work. All the squatting and assistance work carried over to my DL and it ended up being my best lift.

I just decided to concentrate on my martial arts more and being strong was nice but it became an obsession rather than just a bit on the side and my conditioning was suffering plus I was fighting at too high a weight class for my natural frame. My equipment is now sat in my housemates room as I have no where else to put it

I'm training body weight stuff now so I don't put on any mass I can't comfortable lug around. Hope to do a one armed chin by the end of the year (more realistically do 20 pull ups), a muscle up, 5 one armed push ups, 5 pistol squats and working toward a planche too.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:59

Thank you for the advice Seth, trust me though when i say i'll never let my ego get ahead of me when it comes to this. The advantage of working out at home is that there's no level of showing off or whatever - i can go at my own pace. I'm reading up for at least an hour a day on form and stuff, Starting Strength is an awesome book, it goes into the absolute minutiae and physical mechanics of it all.

As long as i'm even a tiny bit better each time, that's good enough for me. That applies to form moreso than weight in fact. I don't really care about lifting superheavy stuff or posting big records, i just want to get in shape. Day by day man, that's all i can do
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:15

Mood
Sneaky

good attitude. its weird though, at some point you do have to say "ok i'm ready to really knuckle down" and start pushing yourself just take your time -_-

i just killed the 100 btw, but it was fecking hard. i'm losing weight just now and feel really lethargic. added another 5kg to my pb but i'm gonna quit on that until i'm done losing weight, it was horrible! would never believe the difference that a huge pile of carbs would make :s

...actually i'm just thinking maybe on the next day-before-deadlift-day i'll eat a big pile of chips to get ready
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:00

Quote:
Got my program sorted and everything (Starting Strength) too.
I'm doing Starting Strength too. I'm on my 6th week now - so far so good. I've been going to gyms for years but not made much progress. Since last summer I've started to kick on though. I was doing some olympic-style lifting programs in the second half of last year - these were very good - especially for the back. Best thing I ever did was Dan John's training for the Busy Working Guy - I put on a nearly a stone in 5 weeks (mostly muscle) - then dropped a 20kg weight plate on my leg, which put an end to the gains.
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:05

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
With an empty bar (20kg/45lbs) my squat form was far too shitty to genuinely count (it's the hip drahve that ****s me - down is easy, up is hard; but at least i got below parallel),
A great exercise for teaching really good squat form is the goblet squat. You don't even need a kettlebell just hold a plate or dumbell to your chest. And it will stretch you out in all the right places if you know what I mean

Old 23rd January 2013, 21:37

Today's session went much much better!

I don't know what changed, but i got all 3 sets of my squats done with vastly improved form. Not perfect, but a whole lot closer! Will be able to put some weight on the bar and bump up 5kg next time. Tried the seated press, realised how tough it is. Got my first set of 5 ok, but then hit 4 and 3. Will try again on Monday. Pendlay rows, they start easy then get tough fast, got off 3 sets of 5 with 27.5kg/60lbs.

Felt a bit nervous at first, but really awesome afterwards. A bit trembly, but that's to be expected. I know i'll be sore in the morning, but oh well, i'm really enjoying this!
Old 24th January 2013, 12:02

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
A great exercise for teaching really good squat form is the goblet squat. You don't even need a kettlebell just hold a plate or dumbell to your chest. And it will stretch you out in all the right places if you know what I mean

i'll need to try that
Old 28th January 2013, 20:22

Weighed myself this morning. Up a couple of pounds in only a week of training! Week two starts.... now!
Old 28th January 2013, 21:32

Done!

Workout 4 - 28th January
Squat - 30kg/65lb - 3x5
Seated Press - 20kg/45lb - 5/5/4
Pendlay Rows - 30kg/65lb - 3x5

I can now squat 20 pounds more than i could last week , and i'm getting closer to increasing that bastard overhead press. I get such a great feeling from doing it too - i felt kinda physically rough beforehand, but afterwards i feel like i could conquer the world