Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st August 2013, 23:31

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
Will definitely be taking some self defense type classes when I can afford to.
That's a cool thing to do, but don't start thinking you could take on men who confront you just because you've learnt some techniques in a controlled, safe environment. You'll most likely get seriously hurt :/.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:33

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dawn Fades
Why don't we just whip them out And see whose is bigger.
Take it the wrong way if you will. The point I'm making is that you if you can do any of those exercises unless you are seriously strong already you'll only be able to do a handful. What is the best way to increase strength? You train in the 2-5 rep range. This is a given and tried and tested. So if I can only do 2 pistol squats or 5 one armed pushups what quality am I training, that's right pure maximal strength. Now all I have to do to build muscle is increase the volume. If I find the exercises so intense (near to my 1RM) then I'll need to scale them in some way to build up the volume.

Quote:
Well like I said originally it isn't impossible but both these people and gymnasts are lifting there body weight 100s if not thousands of times a day. I never said it wasn't anything short of amazing the level of skill required to pull that off. I paid £40 for a second hand bench and free weights , it fits in the corner of my room and is far more effective then if I just did push-ups and other excersises.
Well first off that's a fallacy. Gymnastic training is very intense when the focus is on building strength. If you can hold a planche for 10 seconds and you hold it for 8 for several reps every time in training then I guarantee you are going to burn out quick.

And if they are lifting their body weight that many times how do you think they got there in the first place? To build strength just like with any form of strength training you need to choose the appropriate load to challenge your current strength levels. To build muscle you need to train with a high enough volume.

If your benching is more effective than pushups how many one arm pushups can you do? Probably a big fat zero. If they are so ineffective, how come you can't even do one. Surely they should be easy. They obviously aren't which just proves their effectiveness at building strength.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:35

Mood
Thinking

^ I guess it depends on your goal. Some people want to be functionally "strong". Some want big muscles. Some want a combination. Totally depends on the goal, as to what the "right" regime should be.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
That's a cool thing to do, but don't start thinking you could take on men who confront you just because you've learnt some techniques in a controlled, safe environment. You'll most likely get seriously hurt :/.
I'm not expecting to take on men who confront me at all. I want to be able to get away from a big bloke if he actually goes for me and starts a fight. If a fight has started, I'm gonna get seriously hurt anyway so might as well have a bit more confidence to be able to either hurt him and get away or just get away.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:37

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
I'm not expecting to take on men who confront me. I want to be able to get away from a big bloke if he decides to fight. Coz look, if I'm gonna get seriously hurt anyway I might as well have a bit more confidence to be able to either hurt him and get away or just get away.
I doubt anyone's gonna try and physically fight you (I'd hope) but they'll try and intimidate you verbally
Old 1st August 2013, 23:40

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_is_the_one
^ I guess it depends on your goal. Some people want to be functionally "strong". Some want big muscles. Some want a combination. Totally depends on the goal, as to what the "right" regime should be.
Yeah true but I only brought it up because bodyweight training was being dissed as not effective at building strength or muscle when nothing could be further from the truth. It's just you need to know what you are doing and if you only know vanilla run of the mill press ups then of course you are going to think that bodyweight is ineffective.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:42

Quote:
I'm not expecting to take on men who confront me at all. I want to be able to get away from a big bloke if he actually goes for me and starts a fight. If a fight has started, I'm gonna get seriously hurt anyway so might as well have a bit more confidence to be able to either hurt him and get away or just get away.
Ah, I see. That's a sensible attitude . I just fear some people think that, in lieu of serious training and combat experience, learning a few self-defence techniques at their local recreation centre is all they'll need to take on anyone.
Old 1st August 2013, 23:46

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Ah, I see. That's a sensible attitude . I just fear some people think that, in lieu of serious training and combat experience, learning a few self-defence techniques at their local recreation centre is all they'll need to take on anyone.
dennis "cutty" wise sums it up well

Old 2nd August 2013, 00:01

Quote:
I doubt anyone's gonna try and physically fight you (I'd hope) but they'll try and intimidate you verbally
I should point out that the guy who was wanting to fight today actually wanted to fight my boyfriend, but I'm not exactly gonna just let him get attacked. If anyone hurts him it's as good as hurting me. I defended him verbally but was willing to get involved physically if it kicked off.

Lots of incidents of women getting sexually assaulted around here though, dark unlit country lanes and all that. Even if it was some other woman I'd like to think I could at least help? Maybe? Wishful thinking?

A woman got slapped by her boyfriend outside our house recently my bf went out to see if she was OK. She told him to f off. I don't understand people.

PS. What's moxy?!

Quote:
Haha that's just stupid.
Old 2nd August 2013, 00:10

Mood
Thinking

I've never been in a fight tbh (apart from with my brother, but they weren't that violent), not sure how I'd react. I'd like to think I would defend myself, but something tells me I would run away like a fandan
Old 2nd August 2013, 00:37

Quote:
There was a fight in the mens gym today.
Do tell.
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:21

Mood
Sneaky

ok i know i was bitching about exercise diet and fitness but lets get serious people. and by serious i mean pea protein isolate powder. my brother may have double my deadlift pb but he cant even swallow a mouthful of this stuff, which i drink by the glass. suck it up, noobs
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:31

Mood
Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
ok i know i was bitching about exercise diet and fitness but lets get serious people. and by serious i mean pea protein isolate powder. my brother may have double my deadlift pb but he cant even swallow a mouthful of this stuff, which i drink by the glass. suck it up, noobs
I used to drink that. It's not too bad at all. I had about 10kg and polished it off pretty quickly. It's the cheapest protein out there, as far as I know, so useful if you're on a tight budget. I believe in quantity over quality when it comes to protein.
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:35

Quote:
I drink chocolate flavoured whey protein powder. I feel so emasculated. :,(
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:30

Any advice/motivational speile for a lazy bugger who can't be arsed with his workout today?
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:34

Quote:
Its not that bad and plenty of flavours out there.

I love apple cinnamon swirl
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:40

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Its not that bad and plenty of flavours out there.

I love apple cinnamon swirl
Where dyou get apple cinnamon swirl pea protein?
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:54

Quote:
Where dyou get apple cinnamon swirl pea protein?
http://www.theproteinworks.com/produ...ncentrate.html
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:28

Mood
Sneaky

Thats just some whey protein, im on about pea protein. Im eating dairy free, I have digestive problems.
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:45

I'm going to sign up for a 10k race.
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:51

Quote:
I'm going to sign up for a 10k race.
I'l join
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:43

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Thats just some whey protein, im on about pea protein. Im eating dairy free, I have digestive problems.
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530471.html

If you add that to the pea protein maybe thatll improve the flavour. Dunno if that bumps the price up too much though. Cant say that pea protein sounds very appetising!
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:59

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530471.html

If you add that to the pea protein maybe thatll improve the flavour. Dunno if that bumps the price up too much though. Cant say that pea protein sounds very appetising!
lol i actually got some banana flavouring. unfortunately the way pea protein tastes, if you try to add a nice flavour to it it just makes it taste even worse.

i'm actually getting used to it, but thanks for the suggestion ^_^

incidentally the banana drops work wonders for the taste of my soya milk :]
Old 4th August 2013, 14:00

Mood
Thinking

anyone here use kettlebells as their main workout?
Old 5th August 2013, 21:39

Hmm, the whole bodyweight thing is interesting. I'm going on holiday soon for a couple of weeks and I would like to start a programme for those two weeks 'cos I know some exercise will benefit me mentally which I'll probably need! I've looked online and as per usual have seen hundreds with all different advice and I haven't a clue where to start.

Anyone want to recommend anything?
Old 5th August 2013, 21:42
davehedgehog

^go for a walk or run every other day.
Old 5th August 2013, 22:00

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom123
Hmm, the whole bodyweight thing is interesting. I'm going on holiday soon for a couple of weeks and I would like to start a programme for those two weeks 'cos I know some exercise will benefit me mentally which I'll probably need! I've looked online and as per usual have seen hundreds with all different advice and I haven't a clue where to start.

Anyone want to recommend anything?
yeah running/walking is good

in terms of bodyweight exercises, there are indeed tons. It's best to keep it simple to begin with. You could try doing say 25 squats, 25 lunges, 12 press ups. Do 3 sets of these exercises. It doesn't sound like much, but its a good all round workout that will make you feel good and pumped.
Old 5th August 2013, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
^go for a walk or run every other day.
Will be doing plently of walking, not sure how easy it will be to run as it's been around 35 in Croatia recently.

Quote:
yeah running/walking is good

in terms of bodyweight exercises, there are indeed tons. It's best to keep it simple to begin with. You could try doing say 25 squats, 25 lunges, 12 press ups. Do 3 sets of these exercises. It doesn't sound like much, but its a good all round workout that will make you feel good and pumped.
Yeah, just had a quick try out of one now. Did 4sets 40squats, 30lunges and 25pressups and planking till fail. Don't really know if it's a good idea to do that every other day or to mix it up a bit?
Old 5th August 2013, 22:14
davehedgehog

^sorry misread your post thought you were asking about exercise to do on the time before your holiday.

exercise on holiday? bugger that eat drink and be merry for two weeks.
Old 5th August 2013, 22:46

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom123
Will be doing plently of walking, not sure how easy it will be to run as it's been around 35 in Croatia recently.

Yeah, just had a quick try out of one now. Did 4sets 40squats, 30lunges and 25pressups and planking till fail. Don't really know if it's a good idea to do that every other day or to mix it up a bit?
that's pretty good man. I'd say those 4 that you just did there are what all bodyweight exercises revolve around. If you want you can vary those exercises slightly to work slightly different muscles. E.g. stepping back for the lunge instead of forward. Using a wide stance for the squat. Doing a "t press up". Also, google "the bastard" if you want a challenge. Still, those 4 that you did are pretty good! Do it every 2nd day, maybe building up with the reps slightly every day. Don't spend too much time exercising though, just enjoy the holiday!