SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th August 2013, 23:38

Default Re: How has SAUK helped you?

You don't need to feel uncomfy about the reaction to your post Emu. We're just having a discussion. Ideas are being picked on, not people.
Old 19th August 2013, 23:50

Mood
Bored

Emu, dont worry about it im fine,seriously.

I did think it was about me when i first read it, and i did think,woah,whats going on here??
naturally that made me feel uncomfortable.

But having re read it,and also after your response, ive got no issues with you at all,please dont feel uncomfortable and also if you ever want to respond to anything i say in the future, please do not hesitate
Old 19th August 2013, 23:51

Mood
Bored

also thanks retep and black mamba :p
Old 21st August 2013, 22:29

I have met so many wonderful, caring, supportive people on here...and one very special person
Old 21st August 2013, 22:56

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDON_ASIAN
I dont know what i was expecting,i did assume there might be some professionals here that help people deal with SA but that wouldnt be practical i suppose,too many members and some yearning for help would fall by the wayside .

But to reiterate, if i came here for help and it wasnt forthcoming and my SA was particularly bad at that point but i was new, can you see why i wouldnt stick around?
I don't want you to take this as me having a go, that is not my intention. But I want to ask you, what do want? You say you haven't had help for your SA but what do you specifically need help with? I looked at the threads you have started and of the ones that relate to SA I can't actually define what it is you want help with. You haven't asked for advice on meds, you haven't asked for recommendations on therapies, you haven't asked if anyone knows of any good support groups. Can you see why I'm wondering why you say you haven't had help when it seems you haven't asked for it?
Old 22nd August 2013, 00:57

Mood
Bored

i can see what you mean and your right i havent specifically asked for anything,ive sorta just outlined what i joined for but never actually contributed anything that requires any sort of help or assistance.

I think when i made the comments it was more out of my own frustration,rather than anything fundamentally being wrong with this place,i just felt ignored really,as childish as that sounds,thats just how i felt at that time and i guess that was my reaction,i wanted to mix it up, it was just a throwaway comment for me,i didnt realise alot of people would pick up on it and want to know whats up?
i know its a good forum,i know its helpful for people and im sure if i needed help with something SA related and started a thread then atleast one person would contribute something helpful or something that would make me feel better,just like earlier on today i posted a thread about going back to work after having a lengthy break and people did contribute.

also when things kicked off in this thread,one of the moderators got in touch and made me feel better and tried to make me see everyones not against me which i found helpful,and i appreciated it and its little things like that,that make a big impression on me and made me like the place abit more and made me more comfy enough to contribute more.

did that make sense ?
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:41

Mood
Breezy

^ Yeah, perfect sense
If it's any consolation, you have had a pretty healthy amount of responses to your posts for someone who only recently joined the site. Don't forget that a lot of members have SA (not all surprisingly!) so just posting on a forum can be a task in itself. For example it took me about three months to build up the courage to post after joining this site. Taking that into consideration it certainly doesn't seem to me that you are being ignored, quite the opposite in fact.
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:27

Mood
Curious

I echo all the positive posts here. Although I registered a while ago, I only looked at the forum in March this year and it has surpassed my expectations. It is a place I can come on to, have a laugh, feel less alone and 'odd' reading other posts, and also trying to give advice or support from my own experience. I often wonder if I go over the top or quote people too much and want to delete all my posts but I like to try and encourage others when they write something that I can relate too or feel is a good post. In March I was at a very low point in my SA, and I was thinking of ending it to be honest (wasn't going to do anything about that but thought I just had to live with the misery that has lately become my life), and in a few short months I now feel part of something, I feel that life has a lot more hope - I feel connected to the world again, and the next step is to actually meet people on this forum - this would have been impossible before SAUK when I was just rattling around in my house, bored, disconnected and so very lonely.

I joined blackdogtribe which does deal with actual mental illnesses, but hardly anyone goes on it, new posts are left with no replies, the focus is purely on the illness itself and there is not much fun or laughter to be had. I also joined an eating disorder forum which was organised by medical professionals and it was next to useless. Every time you posted, it had to be reviewed by a mod - often your post would not appear for a few days, and more often than not I my post would be removed because I mentioned food in it? And this was an eating disorder website.

So having come to SAUK, I can say it is the best site I have been on and I am just so glad that people have said so much positive stuff on this thread because the thought that my posts or threads could be seen as useless, destructive or whatever would just make me want to go back and delete them all and never dare say anything ever again.

I also have SA and this means that there are times when I dare not reply to a thread or post even if I wholeheartedly agree with them or feel I have good support or advice to offer because my SA tells me that nobody will want to know. It is pointless criticising people with SA for not behaving like professional medical people - anyone with SA should surely understand this. I want to hear about individual experience from people who live with SA day in day out, not from a medical professional who has studied it and gives the usual pointless advice.

I also think that SAUK is like life, it is what you make it.