SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 19th August 2008, 01:43

Default Im brave

I sent someone a text asking them to meet up and do something. It wasnt easy for me but after half an hour worrying about their possible reaction I sent it.

I havnt had a response yet but whatever. Thats just because they dont know the answer and waiting or not read it yet. I sent it and hopefully get something positive one way or other.

I think this is perhaps the first time I ever really done this within my adult years.. (And yet somehow I expected it from others or make friends without taking such risks...) So I would prefer a yes or a otherwise a good reaction. I know I shouldnt rely on the feedback I receive but to be honest I lack too much experience to ever really 'believe' in myself untill I have taken the risk a few times.

I have managed to ask people at work to have lunch at places other than at the work place itself with reasonably good experiences. Even numbers and e-mail addresses. Hopefully this is the next step up from that.

I keep this updated maybe. Im thinking hopefull.
Old 19th August 2008, 10:55

Default Re: Im brave

Hey Bazza
Well done for sending it!
I have spent ages dithering over text messages in the past and I mean AGES!!! Seem to have some memory of spending a good hour trying to send one last summer, trying to predict the consequences and such. When I have tried to do casual 'fancy a drink' texts to people on my course it has usually ended up making me paranoid somehow or other. I seem to have given up on it for now and would only do it to the people I feel really secure with (and I may well have worried a bit about them not too long ago).
As for the feedback thing, I know what you mean. I have NEEDED it for confirmation that I'm not completely unlikeable.
Once you start to get positive feedback in social terms, then in theory, you should start to need it less and become able to judge for yourself whether what you're doing and saying is ok or not. That's just a theory I'm not sure it's a good one...
I don't really know whether I should need it or not...I'm pondering it...I don't like the idea of being without it but being able to make your own decision on whether what you do is socially acceptable or not, and to trust that decision is so freeing...
I'm just blabbing on now
Let us know how it goes Bazza
Likeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßazza
I sent someone a text asking them to meet up and do something. It wasnt easy for me but after half an hour worrying about their possible reaction I sent it.
I know I shouldnt rely on the feedback I receive but to be honest I lack too much experience to ever really 'believe' in myself untill I have taken the risk a few times.
I keep this updated maybe. Im thinking hopefull.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:54

Mood
Worried

Well done
The amount of texts I've written and never sent, I know how hard something which sounds so simply can be.
Hope you get a good reply.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:15

Congrats, that is a really big step forward. I really wouldn't focus on the reply, just be glad that you had the courage to put yourself out there.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:12

Quote:
Well done!
I antagonize over almost every text I send; even to friends or my parents (whom I get on with great).

In fact, I have a friend having a rough time at the moment, and I question whether sending a text is being supportive or simply bothering them. And that's before I even get to the wording!

But if you don't get a positive response, try and keep in mind that there could be many reasons. It gives me a lift when I get a text from someone, irrespective of the content; knowing they took the time to ask / reply is enough.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:21

Mood
Amused

Well done ßazza! Sounds like you're doing great and yes you are brave
Closed Thread