Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th May 2013, 17:30

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Ta had a go at one arm lockouts and I can barely hold my weight for even a second at the top. Got a lot of work. Weighted chins for a while.
Yeah, but you're progressing steadily towards it. No doubt you'll get it soon enough.

Quote:
Just looked at my CoC's and I thought I had a number 2 but it's just measly number 1 which is hard enough for me. The 3 must be ridiculous!
It is! Dx I can do the CoC 2 (heh, "do the coc" - that's not gay at all) for reps yet this no. 3 thing makes me feel like a little girl.
Old 28th May 2013, 18:59

Quote:
I've used one in the past and recently got a new one so have been doing a lot of my conditioning workouts with it. Found that I'd been running too hard for aerobic base conditioning but too easy for any anaerobic conditioning. So I've been inadvertently running what's known as 'junk' miles for quite a long time (years!)

The Karvonen formula for calculating heart rate zones is a often seen as a little more useful than just using a percent of max heart rate. It's only a little more involved but I find it works well. You use your working heart rate range which is your maximum heart rate minus your resting heart rate. It's also known as your heart rate reserve.

It's supposedly more accurate because it takes into account that people have different resting heart rates dependent on age, training history and genetics. The zones are similar but you use the percent of your heart rate reserve (HRR). So Fat burning/Recovery 60-70% of HRR, Aerobic 70-80%, and Anaerobic Threshold 80-90%. To get your heart rate training zone numbers just then add your resting heart rate.

It's probably not necessary if you are only interested in burning calories but for anyone looking to get fitter a bit more scientifically it's very useful. I've managed to drop my 1 minute heart rate recovery from 20 bpm to over 30 bpm in just a few months by accurately training in my aerobic zone for 45 minute plus sessions. Plus I'm running a lot slower than I was before so my training is not only easier but more efficient. And I've had far less niggly joint pain as well
Very informative thanks.
Old 28th May 2013, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiJingsheng
Yeah, I've ordered that too. Quite cheap considering you only need to take one a day. Ordered Creatine, Whey, BCAAs (came free), Multi, Vit D, Omegas, Dextrose, L-Glutamine and Oats. Most of it works out pretty cheap so I'll see if I notice any difference...

Trying to get as lean as possible right now. Been working out on and off for a few years, built up some muscle but have never been 'ripped'. Routine right now is this...

Monday: Back/Biceps

Back Rows
Curls/Hammer Curls

Cardio: 5km (increasing jogging pace every week; do sprint intervals in between)

Tuesday: Cardio (5km jog)/Weight Sit-Ups

Wednesday: Shoulders

Overhead Press (dumbbells)
Lateral/Frontal raises
Shrugs

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Chest/Triceps

Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline
Arm Extensions

Cardio: 5km (increasing jogging pace every week; do sprint intervals in between)

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Legs

Dumbbell Squats (+ weighted backpack)

Currently losing around a 1lb a week, but lifts are still going up slightly each week, so it's going well so far.
Cool, so was all that from MyProtein? I get my Whey/dextrose from The Protein Works. Comes in funky flavours lol

I only started about 2.5 months ago or there abouts and ive managed to gain 2.2 stone. Im on a bulk diet which can be pretty tough at times, the gyms the easy part

I plan to bulk for most of the year and then i'l 'cut' and try and get a bit lean for next summer.

Im doing a PPL routine ( push pull legs ) which is working well for me. I always start off with the compound exercises then finish with some isolation ones, rest for one/two days then repeat.
Old 29th May 2013, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Cool, so was all that from MyProtein? I get my Whey/dextrose from The Protein Works. Comes in funky flavours lol

I only started about 2.5 months ago or there abouts and ive managed to gain 2.2 stone. Im on a bulk diet which can be pretty tough at times, the gyms the easy part

I plan to bulk for most of the year and then i'l 'cut' and try and get a bit lean for next summer.

Im doing a PPL routine ( push pull legs ) which is working well for me. I always start off with the compound exercises then finish with some isolation ones, rest for one/two days then repeat.
Yeah, 10% student discount.
Chocolate Mint is the only flavour that doesn't make me feel sick. I've tried a few others and liked them at first but then it gets to the point were I have to force them down. :/

That's actually insane. Be careful not to gain too much fat whilst bulking, harder to notice when you're adding lean mass as well. Nothing to worry about right now though...

Sounds like a solid routine. I'm kinda restricted to home equipment. The only local gym isn't great; dumbbells only go up 22kg, machines 90kg and it has a single Smith Machine which is never free. I have those adjustable dumbbells which go up to 90lbs and I'm creatively adding plates onto them to progress i.e. wearing a backpack with 10kg+ to do dumbbell squats, wiring the dumbbells to dangling plates to do back rows. Berserk really.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:08
davehedgehog

just done half hour on cycle cross trainer with my heart rate at 160 no cycling today it's wet and horrible outside.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:00

Not tried dumbell squats, but the gym I use currently doesn't have a barbell So it's going to have to be dumbells sadly.

Has anyone used Creatine at all here? I've been in training now for nearly 2 months and close to where I was 2 years ago with daily lifting
Old 30th May 2013, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songar
Not tried dumbell squats, but the gym I use currently doesn't have a barbell So it's going to have to be dumbells sadly.

Has anyone used Creatine at all here? I've been in training now for nearly 2 months and close to where I was 2 years ago with daily lifting
I actually prefer dumbbells, like an extra workout for traps and forearms.
I've used Creatine before, started using it again a few days ago.
Old 31st May 2013, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiJingsheng
Yeah, 10% student discount.
Chocolate Mint is the only flavour that doesn't make me feel sick. I've tried a few others and liked them at first but then it gets to the point were I have to force them down. :/

That's actually insane. Be careful not to gain too much fat whilst bulking, harder to notice when you're adding lean mass as well. Nothing to worry about right now though...

Sounds like a solid routine. I'm kinda restricted to home equipment. The only local gym isn't great; dumbbells only go up 22kg, machines 90kg and it has a single Smith Machine which is never free. I have those adjustable dumbbells which go up to 90lbs and I'm creatively adding plates onto them to progress i.e. wearing a backpack with 10kg+ to do dumbbell squats, wiring the dumbbells to dangling plates to do back rows. Berserk really.
Cool. Yeah know what you mean with the flavours. It can get really sickening at times. I like apple cinnamon swirl

That gym sounds pants lol. Im in the gym for 6am before work, cant fault it at all, zero idiots, no judging etc lots of BBs go there and its kinda insane how big some of the guys are in there. I dont think i could train at home, wouldn't have the motivation.
Old 31st May 2013, 21:21

Going to the gym and having to compete with all the regulars gives me slight worry, so I prefer to look for good exercises on the known video sites as well as lifestyle blogs. I have found an exercise which has given noticeable change in my working-out routines three times a week, which I have been suggesting to many people ever since. Those that are loooking to get a good fun, 10-minute ab workout, should give the Cat Vomit exercise a go (it is an odd name, I know). I found it to be simple but motivating enough for me now aiming to complete the required 12-15 reps feeling new burns every week.
Old 31st May 2013, 23:44

Mood
Sneaky

jimmy cock-arms struthers
Old 1st June 2013, 18:28

^ Wat?
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:13

Old 8th June 2013, 14:18

Mood
Breezy

Just fitted my new chin up bar in my stairwell so I can do muscles ups without headbutting the ceiling. Just attempted my first one, how the hell do you get over the damn bar!?! I can pull the bar to my navel but don't feel like I'm anywhere near to being able to pull myself over it to do the dip part
Old 8th June 2013, 16:37
davehedgehog

fifteen miles on my rebuilt mountain bike today, felt good my legs are starting to get used to cycling and it's getting a lot easier. you know you're getting better when you find yourself using the brakes more as your legs are powering you along so fast.
Old 8th June 2013, 17:12

Went out jogging for the first time in 5 months a couple of nights ago, and, despite my asthma predictably flaring up, and making my lungs feel like they were literally on fire, I pushed through it and managed to jog around my village. Took about 25 minutes. My lungs are going to kill me for the next few times, too, but I just have to overcome it, and I will.

Plus, obviously, I have to start getting some cardio in and losing a bit of fat if I'm to look like a some prick out of Jersey Shore/TOWIE/Geordie Shore/ some other bullshit for when I go on holiday later this year.
Old 8th June 2013, 19:00

Mood
Daring

Anybodyb tried hula hooping - good cardiovascular actvity.

I am looking for a pro hoop to try and get my mid irff a bit more trim riff!
Old 9th June 2013, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVoice2use
Anybodyb tried hula hooping - good cardiovascular actvity.

I am looking for a pro hoop to try and get my mid irff a bit more trim riff!
Is there a specific reason why you want to use a hula hoop? If you're thinking it's because it'll 'target' fat on your midriff, or something, then you're thinking wrong. :/
Old 11th June 2013, 10:16
davehedgehog

just done half hour on cycle cross trainer heart rate at 150-160 for most of it, seemed harder to get my heart rate up that high this time could that be a sign i'm getting fitter?
Old 11th June 2013, 14:56

Mood
Bashful

Go on my exercise bike every day, building up slowly, plus do my regular weights twice per week
Old 11th June 2013, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
just done half hour on cycle cross trainer heart rate at 150-160 for most of it, seemed harder to get my heart rate up that high this time could that be a sign i'm getting fitter?
Hard to say. I could only manage to get mine up to about 180, and that was when I'd go absolutely batshit on one, towards the end. When I was doing sandbag training, however... that was... troubling. :L
Old 11th June 2013, 17:48
davehedgehog

tonights donna kebab and quarter pounder should get my heart rate back to it's usual responsive self.

exercise doesn't half make you feel hungry.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:06

Warming up for my jog around the village again.

...asthma.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:34

Lol
Old 11th June 2013, 21:13

Mood
Thinking

Gym tomorrow!! Eeep! Very scared. If anyone watched me then **** them!! I know some stuck up guys may laugh at me get confused over the machines, but I'm trying to not care.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:26

Everyone has to start from somewhere... Txt me tomorrow and let me know how it went.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:37

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Everyone has to start from somewhere... Txt me tomorrow and let me know how it went.
I will do. Trying to stay positive. Just gonna blast some music down my ears and get on with it. At least then I don't have to worry about background voices.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:06
davehedgehog

just been for an hours walk, i felt guilty for eating the kebab.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:46

Went to an aerobics class at uni tonight with a load of students in nightclub. Was fun but I felt old and out of place
Old 11th June 2013, 23:07

Mood
Sneaky

squats and deads tonight. all my exercises have been ruined since all that shit where i was in hospital twice : / but between you and me, i think my legs are gonna be sore tomo
Old 11th June 2013, 23:29

Zumba classes usually,today I just went to the gym