SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th October 2007, 12:57

Default I'm off Prozac and the NHS will not ruin my life anymore!!

I have finally decided to grab this social phobia by its teeth and help myself once and for all.

I have been on anti-depressants for about 3 years - the latest being Prozac which did nothing for me and ruined my life for the past 3 months! I finally told the NHS home treatment team where to get off and I literally handed over ALL my medication and said - ''take it, I'd rather do this on my own from now on''

People might think this was stupid - but I weened myself off onto a 10mg of Prozac before giving it up, which was hard! And since I've been off it, I've not had ONE bad nightmare...perfection!!

I don't know other people's experiences with the NHS but mine are 90% bad...I have been under them for Social Phobia since I was 10...

I've got no medication (except for the Lorazepam which i decided to hide from them), I no longer have a home treatment team and I feel on top of the world! Strange I know...

However, I have developed social phobia in my own home - yes i cant go to the toilet alone, can't go downstairs, can't go in the living room...but living in my bedroom will encourage me to tidy up more I hope!!
Old 27th October 2007, 20:05

Default Re: I'm off Prozac and the NHS will not ruin my life anymore!!

Hey! Im sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences, both generally and with the NHS. But its great that you've decided that you can do better without them and Prozac, giving yourslef some control back could make you feel heaps better. Good luck!!
Old 28th October 2007, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna
However, I have developed social phobia in my own home - yes i cant go to the toilet alone, can't go downstairs, can't go in the living room...but living in my bedroom will encourage me to tidy up more I hope!!
That sounds like Agoraphobia and Monophobia to me.

Do you avoid those other rooms because you had a panic attack there and associate those rooms with panic attacks?

Heres a couple of links which might help

http://www.phobics-society.org.uk/co...goraphobia.php

http://www.agoraphobia.ws/index.htm

Take Care

John
Old 28th October 2007, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Mouth
That sounds like Agoraphobia and Monophobia to me.

Do you avoid those other rooms because you had a panic attack there and associate those rooms with panic attacks?

Heres a couple of links which might help

http://www.phobics-society.org.uk/co...goraphobia.php

http://www.agoraphobia.ws/index.htm

Take Care

John
i dont think im agoraphobic...never had a problem with open spaces or whatever...whats monophobia though? i definitely associate this house with panic...
Old 30th October 2007, 11:20

Hi Jenna,

I too did not have great experiences with medication, and feel better without, still in a bad way, but like you said along with the medication came nothing but additional problems.

Although I think you've made a great step by taking the 'control', which IS the first step to wellness!, I think you should not abandon all help, such as therapy.

Glad your a bit better though!.
Closed Thread