SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th April 2011, 12:21

Default 'Awaken the Giant Within'.. Have you read it??

I'm reading 'Awaken the Giant Within' by Anthony Robbins and was wondering if anyone else had read it and what you thought of it??? It's a big book and i really don't want to bother if the advice/help given is crap
Old 30th April 2011, 20:11

Mood
Fine

Default Re: 'Awaken the Giant Within'.. Have you read it??

I used the audio book. I think it's useful but as all self-help books it overpromises. It's good to set the goals you have and then put them into action. Some of what he says is NLP (pseudo-science) which has good points and some wishy washy stuff. Overall no harm in listening and he is quite motivating.

Tony Robbins I remember seeing this clip on him for US tv was hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8KQ7egNyYU
Old 30th April 2011, 21:24

Hahahhaahaha.. good stuff . I honestly thought that was gonna be some horrid, cringe-worthy advertisement of one of his products that would instantly make people here go ".. and your reading a book of his?!?!"

I may get the audio too because i walk a lot and although it'll be the same info from the book, it'll reinforce the message.

I think the "message" is pretty simple BUT (and similiar to a great deal of motivational books) theres lots of BS, psycho babble and general fluff that beef the "message" into something sellable.

Did you personally make any head way in any area of your life with the use of his advice???
Old 1st May 2011, 00:44

Mood
Fine

Don't get me wrong, it is often cringeworthy! But I do feel its worth a listen to every now and again. I do use goal setting and it motivates me to get off my ass to do something and gives you the idea that you can achieve things if you work hard to achieve your goals.

Saying this, the idea (that he repeats) that you can achieve anything you set yourself is very unrealistic and simplistic (hence the cringing!). But the whole idea is to stop restricting your goals and to push yourself towards motivating aims, which will get you to act on the things you want to do.

Edit: I actually looked at my previous audio tapes and they really did make me cringe! I might listen to them again to see if I still like them (I think the main one I listened to was 'Personal Power II' which was like a 20-30min tape a day for a few eeks). If you have a lot of time spare to do things you want to do, then listen to them as you'll write a list of goals that you want to do. My job gets in the way so they actually make me more unhappy as I don't get around to the things I want to do!
Old 12th May 2011, 23:23

Hahahha.. that's a shame. Can't you cut the time spent in your job down?

The book i'm reading was published in the early 90's and if he's released tapes along with it then i can imagine it might be cringe-worthy Can you imagine what motivational talk's might have sounded like from the 50's or 60's?!?! terrifying thought.

Anyway, i'm still reading and i thought "how many times do i have to read these positive messages before i act??", because as i'm reading i feel energized but shortly afterward i lose train of thought and forget the message, etc. Do these sort of book's have to be read time and time again to have effect???
Closed Thread