Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th July 2022, 22:03

Mood
Tired

Default Re: The Meditation thread

I've always found what this guy says quite deep and detailed, he really makes you stop and think about things a bit deeper, especially things like meditation.
Old 8th July 2022, 09:47

Mood
Lucky

Regarding yoga, there are many different types of yoga, and many ways to do those types so I don't think you can say all yoga "works". Plus it would be good to know which types of yoga are more effective than others and how it compares to other types of activities against those goals.

I'm sure in most cases, doing any type of (safe) yoga is better than doing nothing. But if you're talking about doing things for a stated outcome, like being "strong and mobile" then it's probably worth trying to prove how effective it is?

Or even if it is safe. Even meditation can be harmful so I don't see why some yoga might not be entirely safe or effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^^ do you think there is also an element of people wanting it to work and thinking it will work. You have to be open to the idea of it working really.
Yes for sure, but isn't that the placebo effect is? And if so, that's something they try to eliminate when doing studies, by having a placebo arm and then seeing if the thing performs better than a placebo.

But yeah, I do get your wider point. People swear by a lot of stuff that they think works, but there's no "proof" it has any effect.

My initial point was "Do these things work for everyone else but not me? Or is everyone going along with it because they think everyone else is getting benefit from it?"

But I guess you are right that there is another scenario where people just want it to work so they feel like it does work. There are lots of cognitive biases that explain this, like the sunk cost fallacy (eg I've paid all this money so I don't want to feel like I've wasted my money so I've convinced myself it's working).
Old 8th July 2022, 14:04

Anyone interested in meditation should check out Mark Williams on YouTube. He has changed my life. I recommended him to my mother, who also swears by him. Try the body scan - it’s incredible.
Old 8th July 2022, 19:00

Thanks Moksha! I'll check him out too.

I just googled him. I'm guessing it's not the guy that plays the Weasley dad?

Old 8th July 2022, 20:06

^ him off The Fast Show?
WITH AN OWL?

I expect not, no.
Old 1st August 2022, 22:54

hehehe meditation suits you, sir.
Old 1st August 2022, 22:55

Tomorrow I'm going to a meditation class for the first time
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:35

Thanks for the tip, Moksha. Until now, I've never got anywhere with meditation – my mind is simply too intrusive and I cannot relax for long (I have no trouble concentrating on other things. I suppose, though, meditation is a kind of *lack* of concentration?).
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:34

^ I'd say it's a very focused concentration.
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:18

Mood
Tired

I think the main point about meditation is exactly that it isn't focused concentration,

it's more about inclusion, not ignoring anything and also not focusing on anything exclusively,

it's about gently taking in everything in the moment without judgment or choice,

a kind of choiceless, non-judgemental awareness.

but then,. it maybe depends on which books you've been reading or which podcasts or videos you've been listening to.

the way I understand it is that if you are focusing or concentrating exclusively on something then you are basically reinforcing the mind, reinforcing the ego,. the "do'er"

whereas, if it's a simple, relaxed, choiceless awareness, then the mind will naturally begin to calm down as it is effectively being neutralised, not strengthened with a goal or an achievement of sorts.
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:09

Yeah, I meant concentrating on your breathing and feelings in your body.
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:12

Last night I went to meditation and it was incredible.

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to the correct terminology - it was a sound bath mediation. The lady played singing bowls. It was amazing. It was perfect for me because the vibrations and sounds of the bowls and chimes gave me something to focus on. The different sized bowls made different sounds and chiming on them made different sounds.

She then played an instrument over us which gives you a sound massage.

It's too bad I'll never be able to go again because it's 66 miles from where I live, so not exactly up the road hehe

I've tried to find somewhere near to me, but am struggling with where to look really. I can only find ones in the day time.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:50

^ aw I hope you go.

I thought I'd find it really awkward but the sound of the bowls takes it all away. It's not the same self-conscious feeling as it can be in a silent room.

Also you take a pillow, a yoga mat and a blanket, so it's like being tucked up in bed.